Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez with a Revo

BigDave

This last weekend, I set up el prez and burned 300rnd on it. when i was reloading my powder measure was hanging up, so I had to find the squibs.

With my 625 major loads (172pf), 52-53 in 6.45 sec seemed to be the most consistant runs I had. Was never able to get all 60pts. my slowest time was 55pts in 8.48 sec. My fastest was 53 pts in 5.97 sec. My first shots were in the 1.6-1.65 range, reloads were 2.20 sec range. In the first run before the reload, I never really had a good sight picture, after the reload I could see all the hits going into the A's I destroyed more wood in that 2hr session than I have all year long ( 2 sticks). My splits were .23-.24

With my ICORE open revo, 5.5 sec runs with all the points were normal, its nice not having recoil (.18-.19 splits with 1.9 reloads, first shots were 1.6 range.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I set it up yesterday evening I run through it 8 times with my worst being 11.14 best 10.46....seemed like it really didnt make a diference which way I turned as my first shot for every run was in the 1.90's so that was consistent. my splits were anywhere from .31-.50 with .70's going from target to target and my reloads were consistent 3.50'ish

The runs were with my 5" 625 using the 175pf loads that I shot at the Ohio Match.

Reloads I can improve with work and practice and maybe my splits by just a hair, but shooting a 45acp major I just dont think I can get into the low .20's for splits just from my physical size. Im just not a very big guy and the 625 at Major pf is a handful for me trying to go fast.

I also did my own triggerjob and its right around 7lbs. Maybe a little lighter might help just a bit as well.

• 2 months later...

Man, this thread is a nice ego boost. I never liked to keep track of my improvements, using shooting diaries or something similar. But this thread is just here. The "on demand" 5.11 El Prez with 4 down I did last weekend made me wonder where I was about a year ago. I can't believe I shaved over a second off my time (personal best now being a 5.02 with 4 down)

Progression is faster than I thought :)

Gotta get under 4 :D

Smoking Spook !!!!!!

Impressive to say the least. ;)

You guys here in the US, them darn Foreigners are getting ahead of you!!!! :blink:

You can't set idle over here thinking just because Jerry is here the US is the best there is!!!

Spook and Richardo proved that, along with several others.

So get to it!!!!

HOP

Well finally downloaded spooks run.......

Nothing wrong with that run!!!!!!

Better than what I can do, I'm pretty sure.

Looked real SMOOTH !!!!!! and we all know SMOOTH is FAST !!!!!

Damn good Spook !!!!!!

SSSSMMOKE INNNNNNN!!!!!!! :D

HOP

• 4 weeks later...

Guys

I have been a revolver fan for a while now but nobody else in the club had much interest.

I started off with a S&W mod14 using the weak hand reload. And finished just in the top half when I would go to competitions.

I saw a video of some guy shooting real fast and he was using the strong hand reload so I changed.

It took a while to get used to it but I got a second at the next competition I entered.

Alas there have been no revolver comps in this area in the last couple of years but I have picked up a couple of buddies who like to shoot wheelguns.

I have also changed to a S&W 625 and practise weekly.

My best so far is 1.63, 1.90, 2.32, 2.56, 2.98, 3.22 - 6.07, 6.38, 6.79, 7.06, 7.44, 7.71

My two buddies are pretty much on par with me and we drive each other to hopefully better times. Both of them use the weak hand reload.

I can see that my reload is slow and i am looking for any help to speed it up.

al

Al, welcome aboard -- whereabouts are you located?

Mike

I am located outside the US in a land where pistol shooters are harder to find than two tailed dogs.

My favourite source of information is US forums and a few friends that I have there.

al

alellis, Not being an expert nor speed being my strongpoint, I find that I am not keeping the cylinder turning getting to my first target, on the draw and reload I know I can cut a couple of tenths off my reload and draw if I would do these two things. I got ripping through a similar stage but without the turn around and got my splits and transitions to the same, about .24's. But my hits did suffer a might. Again welcome. rdd

Ran two El Prez today and I was happy with both. 7.18 and 7.47 with my 627. Hits were good but I was shooting low. A problem I have when going fast. Fortunately Vic Pickett picked up my problem and explained how to aim and shoot fast. The rest of the match went fantastic.

I need to get the 625 back out because my reloads are much better with it.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this one back up to report that I have continued to practice and have my dry fire el prez down to just a hair over 6 secs.

My dry reload down to 2.3 secs

But my live fire el prez is still above 7.5.

Usually less than 5 points down

How are you all doing.?

al

Ran two El Prez today and I was happy with both. 7.18 and 7.47 with my 627. Hits were good but I was shooting low. A problem I have when going fast. Fortunately Vic Pickett picked up my problem and explained how to aim and shoot fast. The rest of the match went fantastic.

Care to share the secret??? :rolleyes:

Basically I had the problem of aiming at the A zone. It's better to shoot into the upper side of the A. On the ICORE targets I normally shoot and aim at the X. Vic talked me into shooting just above the X ring and my shots that were previously low became all As.

I have run into the same problem. Sight in at one point, then when I shoot fast I tend to muscle the gun "Down" too much and the POI drops.

Jerry's videos talk of this by saying you must operate your trigger finger seperately. But, I don't think that's the actual problem. It's trying to "Muscle" out a faster time that causes the problem. It's not a Jerk, or if it is, it's real consistent.

The problem is I've proven to myself that a looser, more relaxed grip (as per Brians book) is just as fast, or faster. But, getting myself to relax in a match is another story.

The reverse problem is you sight in with a harder grip at 25 yds. then shoot at 50 yds. and the POI is too high!

That's why Dry Fire is good, but can't completely replace the muscle memory of Live Fire.

Vic's Trick is good, another is to use a FO Front Sight and when you're hosing put the "DOT" on the spot. When you're back, use the "TOP" of the sight. Course this adds thought to the process and, well it never helps me to think. All I do is get myself in trouble.

Care to share the secret??? :rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing

For some reason, when I shoot the El Prez I always wind up with a pretty fast time and an RO that can't quite see well enough to detect that I've achieved another "perfect double."

Hmmm. I seem to remember the last time I shot this I had a perfect double, too. In fact it was at the Iowa sectional last year where, if I'm not mistaken, Dan also had a perfect double. He just did it faster.

Tried my hand at it today,

Between 7.34 sec and 7. 63 down no mre than 5 points

first shots were 1.4-1.5

reloads were 2.42-2.69

Looks like I have got to work on the reload and 1st shot