Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade-tech DOH

Lee

Just got my Dropped and Offset holster for my G-35 today. Looks and feels like a great holster, but there isn't room for my thumb between the slide and DOH atachment. I do have rather large hands. I can get it in there, but to draw quickly I pretty much have to leave my thumb up and out and not finish my grip until I clear kydex. Is this normal? Do I use it like this and get used to it or shim it to make some room.

With my hands at side I can scoop the grip on the way up and all is well. From the surrender position is where I try to put thumb down and along the slide and run out of room. I shoot Action Pistol so I have to come down on the grip.

I did a search but I might have missed something. I'm curious to hear what everyone is doing. The DOH seems to be a popular holster around here.

Thanks,

Kevin

I noticed that the Glock DOH is tighter in that area then other DOH's. By quite a bit. For example I have wiggle room for my thumb with a CZ DOH but no room at all with a Glock.

Thanks Vlad. I really didn't expect this problem. Offsetting a holster would seem to allow plenty of room but not so with this one. Does it cause you any problems with the Glock?

Same here, but my hands aren't big at all. My 1911/2011 DOH has a MILE more room for my thumb than either of the Glock ones I have. I have to leave the thumb off until it clears the holster or it can be pretty painful.

Which belt loop did you get? The Tek-lok or StingRay. My 1911 with tek-lok is tighter than the SR loop I have with G34. I have plenty of room with the SR loop.

It's the SR loop. Sounds like a gun specific problem.

The good news is that a few shims should do the trick. I found some plastic washers to use as shims. 2 up front, 1 in the back and none on the bottom moves and tilts the holster almost enough. I'll need to find a longer screw if I need to move it out anymore. I'll do dryfire tonight and will know then.

Well made and designed holster. The mounting method they use allows the holster to be moved without modification. I'm think I'm going to be very happy with this one!

Thanks guy.

Kevin

It's the SR loop. Sounds like a gun specific problem.

The good news is that a few shims should do the trick. I found some plastic washers to use as shims. 2 up front, 1 in the back and none on the bottom moves and tilts the holster almost enough. I'll need to find a longer screw if I need to move it out anymore. I'll do dryfire tonight and will know then.

Well made and designed holster. The mounting method they use allows the holster to be moved without modification. I'm think I'm going to be very happy with this one!

Thanks guy.

Kevin

Yes, this is the exact problem I had with the holster. Supposedly BladeTech will send you a kit with shims and screws, but I ended up going to Home Depot, and spending a couple dollars on what I needed.

That said, after dicking around with it, and hurting the hell out of my thumb, I said, "screw it," and ended up just going with the non-DOH holster, that I originally had (Comp-tac). One thing you will discover, is if you screw and unscrew the attachment often enough, the post screws won't snug down, and that will open another can of worms....<grin>

Nothing against the company -- their service has been fantastic -- but depending on your draw, with Glocks, this holster is problematic, IMO.

I used a standard Blade-Tech holster for the first year of my shooting, then upgraded to the DOH, and was shocked to find the same thing you did.

After you get over the new draw, you will never miss the old one.

i had the same prob,,i could not wait to try the doh and then i almost immediately got a bad case of the thumb..i ended up using small spacers to move it out,but also had to do so on the bottom at a angle..watch out for the space between belt and holster so you dont catch hell from a R.O...

I noticed that the Glock DOH is tighter in that area then other DOH's. By quite a bit. For example I have wiggle room for my thumb with a CZ DOH but no room at all with a Glock.

I started off with a Glock and DOH was my first holster. It never even occured to me that the thumb is supposed to fit between the gun and the belt :D. Recently I bought a 1911 and a DOH for it and discovered that there is space there. I don't think it affects my draw any. For both pistols I wrap my fingers around the front strap and start lifting the gun from the holster and before the muzzle clears the holster I wrap the thumb around the backstrap.

Slav