Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus PT 1911?

996fan2007

I first saw them at the 2006 SHOT show and was impressed with the appearance of quality and fit. (one was a .38 Super) Later on through the past year and a half I have seen very few, but the ones I have seen are nice for the price. No, they are not Les Baer or Wilson.

I don't think you could go wrong if you need a new 1911.

Buddy

Mike, please remember that most people are not connoisseurs of the 1911 and have different needs, values, and budgets . I have about twenty 1911 pistols. 3 Les Baers, 1 Wilson, 1 Jim Clark Colt, 1 Johnny Ngai Custom Para, 1 EGW Custom Springfield, 1 Dawson STI, a couple of other Customs and a few over the counter Pistols. The ones (Taurus) I have seen are real nice and none of my pistols have too much on the Taurus.

Sure, some of the parts are not the best out there and may need to be replaced somewhere down the line, but I doubt it. These are six hundred dollar guns with a lifetime guarantee! My goodness, what could be better for the money? Don't say Springfield, I sent a new (Stainless Steel Loaded) one back twice to have it "fixed" without any luck. I ended up just selling it and buying a Kimber. You know, I have owned many guns through the years and that is the only gun I can ever remember having to send back for repairs.

I will end this saying if I were in the market for a single stack pistol...I would give the Taurus a chance.

Buddy

Mike, please remember that most people are not connoisseurs of the 1911 and have different needs, values, and budgets . I have about twenty 1911 pistols. 3 Les Baers, 1 Wilson, 1 Jim Clark Colt, 1 Johnny Ngai Custom Para, 1 EGW Custom Springfield, 1 Dawson STI, a couple of other Customs and a few over the counter Pistols. The ones (Taurus) I have seen are real nice and none of my pistols have too much on the Taurus.

Sure, some of the parts are not the best out there and may need to be replaced somewhere down the line, but I doubt it. These are six hundred dollar guns with a lifetime guarantee! My goodness, what could be better for the money? Don't say Springfield, I sent a new (Stainless Steel Loaded) one back twice to have it "fixed" without any luck. I ended up just selling it and buying a Kimber. You know, I have owned many guns through the years and that is the only gun I can ever remember having to send back for repairs.

I will end this saying if I were in the market for a single stack pistol...I would give the Taurus a chance.

Buddy

In my expierience I have seen more trouble with Kimbers than Springfield, which goes to show every company puts out a few lemons. You pay good money for a gun you should get a good gun! It don't always work out though! I have heard rumors the Taurus guns were having problems with their frames cracking, I don't know but one person who owns one and he will never shoot it enough to hurt it.

Robin

I have several friends who have bought Kimbers ( series 2) and have nothing but trouble with them. I have a series 1 that has never given me a problem. I guess it is the same with all manufacturers, sometimes you just get a bad one.

• 1 year later...

I am having feeding problems with my pt 1911 45acp with hollow points I use Zero 230 JHP. Is this an inherit problem with unramped barrels or just on the pt 1911? I have adjusted the AOL from 1.245 all the way to 1.275. I use WCM and the mags it came with and had the same problem also used CMC mags with same results. WCM recomends 1.260 but no change. I also tried polishings the ramp and throat still the same. But when I used FMJs or LSWC or LRN no problems. This is my first time to use unramped barrels or Single Stack and its getting really frustrating when you get a misfeed or 2 during a match. Someone actually said to me get a Para they feed better.

Some guns (not limited to a specific manufacture) don't like hollow points or wad-cutters. In the old days we had to have any 1911 polished and maybe the feed ramp opened up a bit. They widen and change the angle slightly.

If you don't know what you are doing take it to a good 1911 gunsmith. For pocket change they can get it running.

Since this thread has started I have seen two (I know that isn't many) in matches on a regular basis. They seem to run as good as anything else out there.

Most people (other than USPSA or IDPA) buy a pistol and shoot a box or two of bullets and then put it away. It may never be shot again. On the other hand competition shooters shoot more than that in a match and many more in practice. Ask the competitor that you know how his gun works.

Buddy

On ANY of these lower priced 1911's (right on up through the Kimber Custom Shop) take your gunsmith with you to the store to check barrel fit and barrel timing, if you can get one that is OK in these two areas it will probably shoot fine and last a long time. If you don't you are really rolling the dice as to whether or not it will run and last, and odds are he will get to see the gun soon enough. Something like a Baer PII is easily twice as much money but it is also twice as much gun.

I guess I just get tired of patching up crappy guns.

What type of misfeeds are you having? Nose up or down? Hows your extractor tension/condition?

The hollow points are getting stuck on the feed ramp, as I have mentioned earlier Iam a newb with 1911 I have no clue with regards to extractor I bought the gun Nov last year I put around 3000 rnds on the gun. I don't know if this helps.

On ANY of these lower priced 1911's (right on up through the Kimber Custom Shop) take your gunsmith with you to the store to check barrel fit and barrel timing, if you can get one that is OK in these two areas it will probably shoot fine and last a long time. If you don't you are really rolling the dice as to whether or not it will run and last, and odds are he will get to see the gun soon enough. Something like a Baer PII is easily twice as much money but it is also twice as much gun.

I guess I just get tired of patching up crappy guns.

AS long as I use RNFMJs no problems on feeding, I bought a couple of Zero 230 JHP to play with in the major matches but now since its an issue with the pt1911 I don't know what to do with them. I'm begining to think that its the feed ramp.

Tony, load some of the JHP with your seat die set EXACTLY where you set it for loading FMJ. Load one, check the OAL, and adjust the powder charge accordingly. 99 % of people try to load JHP at the listed length in the manuals and often it doesn't work well at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to have your JHP loads come out at 1.16-1.19" and run fine.

I got a PT1911 for my "learn to be a gunsmith" gun that my wife took over.

Only mechanical problem so far was that the slide stop kept working out, which was solved by an EGW oversized. Saw one other PT1911 with the same problem and solved with a Wilson.

The mags don't seem to be up for much use as one can't even be used as a Barney anymore.

I got mine for $427 when they first appeared...before Am R named it pistol of the year. Overall, the best gun deal I ever got :)

"I don't see how you can build it with forgings for the price. Does anyone know for sure?"

I'd say it has something to do with the fact that Brazilian factory workers earn about the same amount per week as American factory workers earn per hour.

Brazil is a third world country. Baers and Wilsons would carry a lower cost if the folks building them were earning .08 cents per hour!

That and the fact that Taurus does everything in-house. They don't have to look "outside" for materials, parts, and labor. It's all under the same roof.

I'm an STI fan for sure. Got two Trojans arriving today. But I've handled enough of the Taurus guns to know that I'd take on of them over a Spartan.

The ONLY downfall I have ever seen about the Taurus is the sights. Know of about 5 of them they all run, the triggers aren't terrible from the factory and they're cheap. I'd buy one if they made one in .40. Maybe I'll buy one anyway, you can never have to many .45's!

Jason

I picked one up due to the attractive price.

Shot it in one match and about 100 rounds in practice.

Functioned great - bullets went exactly where the sights were aimed.

However, I sold it soon after.. I just love the Glock grip angle too much, without having to deal with all those manual controls.

Would I get another.. oh yeah, it was a fun shooter for a good price.

Lifetime warranty? In business you have to understand lifetime... The companies existence or yours.

Haven't felt a Taurus yet, they look nice. My thing would be is there a product of relative cost like a Springfield that is fit better.

Lifetime warranty? In business you have to understand lifetime... The companies existence or yours.

Haven't felt a Taurus yet, they look nice. My thing would be is there a product of relative cost like a Springfield that is fit better.

My PT1911 was my first single stack. I'm pretty happy with it, with a couple of exceptions.

The thumb safety will give you problems. Go ahead and replace it now before you loose your spring and plunger where you can't find it.

I broke an extractor this weekend. That seems a little early since I've only put a few thousand rounds through it.

I think you will have a hard time finding a gun of similar quality in this price range. Is it as good as a $1000 STI? No. But my SS only cost me $650 OTD.

I'm just starting in the sport, and it will be a long time before this gun is what is holding me back. I might spend some money along the way replacing a few parts, but I've been told if you put enough rounds through any gun it will need to have some parts replaced.

Just my $0.02.

Scott

Thank you all for your suggestions I will try to eliminate the probables one by one

Tony, load some of the JHP with your seat die set EXACTLY where you set it for loading FMJ. Load one, check the OAL, and adjust the powder charge accordingly. 99 % of people try to load JHP at the listed length in the manuals and often it doesn't work well at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to have your JHP loads come out at 1.16-1.19" and run fine.

Thanks Mr Smith I'll try that recomendation too. One last thing how can I eliminate the mags as a probable problem contributor, any tips or tricks you can suggest?