Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag lube?

kmca

I run a silicone cloth dampened with Breakfree through mine after every use. It seems to work well, not too much residue, just slick. I wipe down the springs & followers also.

+2 on blkbrd's silicone spray, however wally world no longer carries it so I am trying Liquid Wrench Dry Film Lubricant at about the same price. Clean the tube then insert follower & spring squirt some inside, put base on then move follower up & down with cleaning rod.

If you use a "wet" type of lube you will need to be prepared to clean every mag that touches the ground.

I have converted to the "Dry Film" type teflon lubricants and then wipe out the excess. It works just as well as the silicone but does not attract or hold dirt or dust. With this method it is not as critical that you clean the dropped mags after every stage, unless they really got full of sand. YMMV

I disassemble the mags, clean all of the components, and spray everything down with silicone spray. I let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe everything dry. I wasn't aware that there was a silicone lube that was meant to be used wet. By the way, I also spray my kydex stuffs internals and wipe that down as well. Makes a big difference on my mag pouches.

I don't use any kind of lube in my mags....it's very windy here and the dust is like talcum powder so I'd be worried about it building up in the mags. They've all been polished inside so they're plenty smooth. I take them apart and clean them before each match. During a match I take apart each dropped mag, run a mag brush through it and then a clean rag. I've had no mag problems at all using this method.

Never seen a dry silicone spray. More info?

I use silicone as a holster lube and will try it on the mags if I ever have one apart again.

I get it from an industrial supply house. Johnstone Supply is an HVAC supplier that may be in your area, Granger is another possible option.

Baby powder. It smells good too.

careful, the baby powder will absorb moisture and cause rust issues!

Baby powder is way over rated for lots of uses. I don't even know if they use it on babies any more.

Basically IIRC it's just mineral oil suspended in talc with fragrance. Icky, oily stuff, especially on pool cues.

+1 to Paul's silly-cone spray

Edited by dirtypool40

+2 on blkbrd's silicone spray, however wally world no longer carries it so I am trying Liquid Wrench Dry Film Lubricant at about the same price.

+1 to the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. Mick, a local GM told me he uses something with PTFE in it. He said it's the magic ingredient you need to look for in a dry lube. The Liquid Wrench DL is the only thing I could find in a pinch one Friday before a match and I've had great success in my open gun mags. I spray a shot in the tube and on the follower, then I run a clean rag through the tube after it dries. You can buy it at Wal-Mart.

I have to say, after reading about the Sailkote, it looks awesome. I'll be buying a can of that to try. ;)

Thanks for the Tip.

Darin

Edited by BigD

I hate cleaning my guns, and the only time I will pull a mag apart is if it gets burried in sand or if it's swamped in the mud, then just wipe it down with a terry-cloth rag and put it back together, dry. I have yet to have a malfunction with a tuned STI mag (self) , grams guts and 20 rounds to boot.

I don't know about the big stick open mag but a quick check of the bullet weight indicates an almost identical (1:1) weight ratio for 20 rounds of 185 gr heads vs 29 of 125 gr heads

Personally I have a hard time running equipment that needs "Special" attention to run. I need enough of my attention just to "run" me.