Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammunition Prices

vluc

This reinforced much of what I was thinking intuitively, reading factually, hearing reliably. And I've been telling people for months that China/India and The War had a lot to do with this. Of course that's over-simplification, but I've also been watching the prices of metal commodities...... Lead is certainly on the rise.

I shoot more conservatively nowadays--consuming less ammo, making each round count in some specific way and looking for sales and other attractive prices where possible. Reloading for .45ACP has saved me big buxx all along, but now it's an absolute necessity... and thank God I have a press and all the fixings.

Recently had a bit of panic trying to find primers... dang. Bullet stock is still available but takes longer to fill the order sometimes. Price of bullet stock much higher than previously, for sure. Price of factory 9mm is what's the current killer... Jeez!! Good quality .22LR still selling for little or no change in earlier prices... and I've been shooting lots of .22LR for ages--a great way to practice AND we have .22LR league compeitions here, so there's sometimes reason to keep shooting it. Plus I'm good with the .22...... B)

Excellent article. I think I'll pass that along to a couple of friends.

The answer is there are LOTS of answers... all working together... all related closely or distantly in some way or the other. All of which affect everyone even remotely invoved in this industry. We're global now, kids. This is no longer your great-grandfather's planet Earth.

It would be nice if GW would tear up Clinton's executive order baning Chinese imports. A relatively simple correction like that to put back in some market forces would force all the other players to reality check their pricing.

Edited by Overkill

I hear you. But I'm a big believer in market forces. Whenever I'm not sure what the best course is in a future mined with unintended consequences, I default to the free market.

Just because china could sell ammo here doesn't mean that you could not still choose to spend a few dollars more fore Precision Delta, or Olin, or Federal.

I hear you. But I'm a big believer in market forces. Whenever I'm not sure what the best course is in a future mined with unintended consequences, I default to the free market.

Just because china could sell ammo here doesn't mean that you could not still choose to spend a few dollars more fore Precision Delta, or Olin, or Federal.

We don't need GW to tear up Clinton's EO - we need him to make one that prohibits exports to China. Why do you think our metals are so expensive? China is buying up all of the raw materials it can find.

Where I work our main expense is steel - it has quadrupled in the last 2 years - thanks to China.

If people would stop buying imported crap from Wally World and putting money in the pockets of the Chineese (to buy missles, guns and US T-Bills) the prices would level off. Sure everything would cost a bit more, but pretty soon your wages would increase to match the minor inflation, because now US suppliers would have more demand for their products.

Buying cheep Chineese anything is a long term road to ruin for the US.

+1 ... I refuse to buy anything that's feeding the coffers of a regime we'll be fighting sooner or later, really pisses me off I actually have to search hard at the Military exchange to find something that's not made in China. I also send out email's about once a month to manufacturers I do buy. Letting them know I chose their product because of the Made in USA label. Most recently Kabar, I chose between the seal pup and the Kabar because of the Made in Label on the Kabar.

• 2 weeks later...