Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brian Enos kB'd My Glock

Overkill

DSCN3374.jpg

....well actually it was more my fault, but BE played a part in it. ;)

I've been working with my Load Map Spreadsheet developing a curve for each powder and bullet I load. To do this I put together 6 or 8 different powder charges for each load that range from "too little" to "too much" powder. I chrono each batch working from the low end charges to the high end charges. The data gets stuffed into the spreadsheet and I get a nice curve from which I an pick and choose velocities or powerfactors. Usually I calculate the velocity average and PF as I go along and stop when I reach what seems to be a maximum safe charge. Usually this means that the last batch or two get set aside and pulled for components.

Today I decided to get some practice value out of my chrono shooting. I've been reading BE's book and I figured chronoing would be a good chance to practice the whole hyper awareness, grip, stance, and followthrough type of stuff. I was so focused on appreciating the nuiances of my shooting that I was kind of on auto pilot for the chronoing end of things. I was paying so much attention to my shooting that I wasnt paying attention to the data. I ended up cruising through each successively higher batch till the gun when kBang!

I was loading 180 grain Bear Creek's over Universal, shot through a Glock 29 with a 40Smith barrel. I chronoed 2 rounds from the batch that the case above came from before the kB. They clocked 1124fps for a 202 powerfactor. I ended with black soot all over my hands, a small blood blister on my right hand where part of the mag release that broke slammed me, and some debris pepperd my face without damaging anything. Since the mag release broke obviously the mag was blow out and suffered some cosmetic damage but still seems servicable. The rest of the gun seems fine.

Its not really no harm no foul. More like minor harm and a light misdemeanor. But lesson learned.

Nice Pick, Overkill!

I like a guy who takes his KB's in stride. I've had two now, in 26 years of pistol shooting. Well,.... three actually, if you count that thing that happened with my rifle.

BTW, where did you get the inspiration for your screen name? :P:P

If you must test something whcih you know to be unsafe I would set the gun in a vise and use some type of remote device to trigger it from a safe location. I don't see the need to go there, but if you are going to do it for a "spreed sheet" I would make damn sure I didn't sacrifice any body parts for it.

Isn't there enough written already why not to make major loads in 40 with Universal?

Local shooter here tried a compressed load of Bullseye in 44 mag. Not good results, ovalized cylinder in a 629.

If you must test something whcih you know to be unsafe I would set the gun in a vise and use some type of remote device to trigger it from a safe location. I don't see the need to go there, but if you are going to do it for a "spreed sheet" I would make damn sure I didn't sacrifice any body parts for it.

He never intended to shoot unsafe loads. Lack of attention got him to that point.

Still an extremely bad idea.

Overkill, please don't think I'm trying to be abusive, and don't regret posting. It's a great picture. Judging by some of the brass I've picked up at different ranges, there are some people out there who are due to learn some rude lessons about reloading. I've done things I shouldn't, and gotten away with it. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes while we can.

Edited by wide45

He never intended to shoot unsafe loads. Lack of attention got him to that point.

Still an extremely bad idea.

Overkill, please don't think I'm trying to be abusive, and don't regret posting. It's a great picture. Judging by some of the brass I've picked up at different ranges, there are some people out there who are due to learn some rude lessons about reloading. I've done things I shouldn't, and gotten away with it. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes while we can.

I don't have much room to talk... I almost blew one up with a squib yesterday. :o It was due to negligent reloading on my part.

Isn't there enough written already why not to make major loads in 40 with Universal?

Local shooter here tried a compressed load of Bullseye in 44 mag. Not good results, ovalized cylinder in a 629.

Actually, I haven't seen anything on why not to make major with universal.

I've since loaded up 170pf loads with universal, titegroup, and powerpistol. The Universal loads at 4.7 grains were virtually indistinguishable from the titegroup loads in any qualitative sense and 3/10ths under the starting load of 5.0 grains that Hodgson publishes. The load that blew up was only 0.12 grains over hodgson's published max. Of course the Bear Creeks are not exactly equivalent to the XTP hodgson published data for.

Actually, I haven't seen anything on why not to make major with universal.

I've since loaded up 170pf loads with universal, titegroup, and powerpistol. The Universal loads at 4.7 grains were virtually indistinguishable from the titegroup loads in any qualitative sense and 3/10ths under the starting load of 5.0 grains that Hodgson publishes. The load that blew up was only 0.12 grains over hodgson's published max. Of course the Bear Creeks are not exactly equivalent to the XTP hodgson published data for.

I believe you mean Clays not Universal Clays.

Clays has a faster burn rate than Universal Clays.

Search the web site for other references guys !

Of course the Bear Creeks are not exactly equivalent to the XTP hodgson published data for.

If you were using Bear Creek coated bullets you should have been at least 1/2 a grain below the JHP data.

Well, a couple people actually read and understood the original post........

202 out of that little bitty 29 length barrel? WOW!!! Don't feel too badly, Universal will give little or no warning before it gets nasty, the chrono is almost mandatory to work up loads with it. EVERY bit as nasty as straight Clays, just at a much higher power factor before it gets nasty.

I'm a newb to reloading and recently had my 1st 'incident'.

I was merrily chrono'ing along at about 820 fps when BANG! 1310! Obviously a double charge. My M&P40 survived with no issues but the Jockey's I was wearing that day will never be the same.

I've since rigged a small mirror up on my 550 and every load now gets a visual.

202 out of that little bitty 29 length barrel?

In retrospect I think the fact that it was the 29 may have been a contributing factor. In 10mm, 200 PF is a pretty normal load to shoot out of the gun. My carry ammo for that gun clocks 205pf. It didn't really feel overly hot to me because based on most of the shooting I've done with that gun the 202pf wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Heck, I shot a 800 round class with that gun using factory 205pf ammo. I'm kind of used to that thing making a big bang and launching the muzzle towards the sky.

Switch to Power Pistol if you want to stay that high in power factor, it isn't anywhere NEAR as nasty and unpredictable when pressures get high. Longshot and Silhouette would be good to try too.

In retrospect I think the fact that it was the 29 may have been a contributing factor. In 10mm, 200 PF is a pretty normal load to shoot out of the gun. My carry ammo for that gun clocks 205pf. It didn't really feel overly hot to me because based on most of the shooting I've done with that gun the 202pf wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Heck, I shot a 800 round class with that gun using factory 205pf ammo. I'm kind of used to that thing making a big bang and launching the muzzle towards the sky.

We weren't trying to break you balls bro... we were just concerned about a fellow shooter. :wub:

I think your talking about Clays and not Universal Clays which he was using. Universal is a great 40 powder.

Flyin

We weren't trying to break you balls bro... we were just concerned about a fellow shooter. :wub:

No sweat. I'm pretty criticism proof. I really like to take things apart and figure out all the angles. Helps prevent future accidents.

I've since worked up some very nice low-170'ish loads for this gun with a 155grain bullet. Did some side by side with TiteGroup and Universal at the same PF. I could not really tell the difference so I think I'll load Universal for a while because that's what I have a bunch of right now.

The problem is not powder choice.

It is loading rounds well beyond safe levels, with the intention of stopping when they show excessive.

Having dangerously hot rounds with you when shooting, is like dry firing without clearing the area of live ammo.

It is a matter of time until something bad happens.

Loading to dangerous levels has got to be a bad idea period. There is allways a chance the rounds may find a way into a gun.

• 2 months later...

Glad your ok. I....ah.....don't really don't what to say on this one. Don't want to run it in the ground. Makeing up loads that at the end of safe/max sure I've done it. Loading past that point, it seems like your asking for some bad action. As far as loading for PF, maybe I missed something. Once it's at 168-9 and shooting stright I stopped. Again glad your ok, I would hate to stop seeing your Glock sign :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
The problem is not powder choice.

It is loading rounds well beyond safe levels, with the intention of stopping when they show excessive.

Having dangerously hot rounds with you when shooting, is like dry firing without clearing the area of live ammo.

It is a matter of time until something bad happens.

Loading to dangerous levels has got to be a bad idea period. There is allways a chance the rounds may find a way into a gun.

Wide 45 is absolutely correct on this one. The what if's are not worth the risks, unless you're looking into having bionic hands or eyes. Of course the new rule book address shooters with the use of only one hand. Please, please refrain from this type of loading........very bad JUJU.

Just because we care.......