Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 CMMG 3 Gun Championship 450+ Photos....56K Die!

Great photos looks like a fun time is being had by all - wish I was there !

Just one question, who are all those funny looking, rather rotund, gentlemen all wearing blue hats with a Triangle on them ? :lol:

What about scores for the team shoot and side matches? I didn't see them listed.

Havn't got those posted yet. It probably won't be till Friday till we post and send out prizes for the team event. We are still playing catch up.

I can understand. Ya'll did a heck of a job putting the match on. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think I did worth a damn on the side matches, but what the hell. I enjoyed it.

After action review time! I did not attend the first waterlogged 1st CMMG so I can't compare the two. Feel free to adopt, reject or muse on my critique as you see fit.

The Good?

- This match actually had some challenging pistol shots which is rare for a 3 gun match.

- Lots of real rifle shooting! One actually had to be able to shoot offhand as well as shoot at fairly challenging rifle targets off barricades and prone. Nothing closer than about 80 yards and the farthest was about 315ish! Kudos.

- Lots of steel, which is fun to shoot.

- Fantastic prize table. THANKS SPONSORS!

- Friendly match staff and ROs

- Overall the stages had clever and fun themes.

- Great weather

The Bad?

- the pistol arrays were amongst the most capacity determinative that I've ever seen. If you did not have a 21 rd plus pistol you were at a real disadvantage.

- Some of the ROs (while very nice and personable) were a bit inexperienced and did not really have a good handle on the rules. I don't think they were quite prepared for a bunch of experienced competitors, who try to deconstruct stages and try to game everything.

- scoring could be in line with other IMG matches. Getting dinged +10 seconds for a single C hit seems a bit harsh. I'd say +5 second(a la SMM3G) is more appropriate.

The Ugly?

- Ticks! Ugh. Az boys aint used to that.

- The match was very IDPA-esque in that shooters were pretty much told how they shoot the stages. Free style was defintely not the theme.

- The use of steel reactive targets makes fast-turn-around longer range rifle stages possible. But their use poses some dangers. It can be difficult for ROs to keep up with the shooter, especially when targets are placed close together and the shooters are experienced. There was some inconsistent calls at this match. It happens to everyone and that's just the nature of the beast but it is important. Had Eric Miller been given accurate credit for his shots, he would have been 2d instead of 3rd and I would not have his ACOG. But in my best Nelson voice, HA-HA! :D

Congrats to Don Bednorz (who now has 2 big 3 gun wins in 2007), Patrick (Mr. Heavy Metal) Kelley, and especially to the Army whose 3 gun team is becoming quite a force to be reckoned with. Robbie Johnson beat out Kurt Miller to win Tac Iron and Daniel Horner simply crucified the rest of us mere mortals in Tac Optic. Look out Taran!

I hope this match continues to grow and gain more experience. I had a good time and am glad I went. Thanks again.

I will echo, mr Neal's sentiments and add that while the match was going on CMMG was inquiring on how to make it better for next year. Judging from the fact that they (CMMG) listened to our ideas on using boxes for dumping off hot weapons, and that the heavy use of steel was better for a quicker running match. I would say that they are definetly interested in evolving into a premier match.

As for using experienced RO's, that can follow, a fast paced shooter, that is imperative so that all shooters receive a true score for their effort. A suggestion was made to allow experienced RO's the chance to shoot the match and then RO, much in the ame way AMU runs the Benning match, with any luck they'll take the suggestion to heart.

Having the rules posted in the back of the stage book SHOULD have made ruling irregularities easy to deal with, however I saw and was made aware of several that should never have been allowed.

It still is a growing match, with aches and pains, however I personally will continue to attend this match, because it has shown me that CMMG and its helpers are willing to listen and want to make this match a PREMIER match..........................I'll be back, and next year with the DOG.

Trapr

A great match for sure, need to bring the scoreing into line with the other matches @ a failure to neturalize should be 5 sec., not 10. Even the odds up on the guns to about 33% each on round count & shooting on the move. If you need expereniced R.O.'s next year, try letting them shoot earley & free entry in the match & you will have plenty. Also would like to start stages with loaded guns. Never started a gun fight with an empty chamber. I know it is a learning lesson & cmmg is getting better.

This was a great learning experience for me, our local matches are all under 35 yds with 99% being some sort of house clearing stage. So to put it mildly the long range stuff really killed me. But, it was my first taste of a "big" match and I will be back (with a lot of practice at long range). I was extremely impressed with the prize table, I placed so far down it TO that I needed a ladder to climb out of the hole to go to the prize table and was I ever surprised at what was in my bag. I have placed in the top 20 at other major pistol matches and not got near the prize bag that I got at this match. And by the way what address do you want me to ship the ticks back to, they seem to be a little homesick.

Ro's were very helpful, I had one of the worst jams I have ever seen with my shotgun with a shell half way in the loading tube and had to basically take the gun apart to fix. The RO's helped clear the jam and was very concerned about how to score the stage so that I did not get hurt to bad. Thanks to all, great job.

Hey sniperdog, we were in the same squad, #12! That was a bad jam... good thing I had my leatherman with me, eh?

It was my first big match as well, and the rifle stages kicked my butt badly. Mostly my fault, I figured a standard 25/300m combat zero on a 16" AR would be good enough. Heh...nope. Well, live and learn, right?

Funny you all mention ticks....I didn't find any. But, then again, us locals are usually doused head to toe in bug spray. ;)

I agree that some of the pistol stages were a bit on the crazy side for round count. I got a lot of reloading practice with my 'little' 10 round .45 CZ97B!

I'm already looking forward to next year. One of the first things I did when I got home was started looking up a heavier grain load for those long shots!

The match was a big improvement over last year. I liked the scoring results which were posted for saturday review and sunday morning a.m., and the fast post onto the internet, that was great.

i would like to see one or two more stages especially since we were there for 3 days, maybe a close in, rifle, house clearing type stage so those with red dot scopes could get some use out of it.

RO's calling shots was at times a little confusing, however, the alternative could be they don't call shots and you shoot what you think you hit, stopping when you think you're done. no disputes allowed.

a couple of water jugs would be nice.

the prize table is the best.

3 gunning's the best no matter what.

thanks to all at CMMG and the Fire for Effect range folks.

I'll be back.

Sorry we are not able to get the scores posted before the weekend. We have had to do a lot more catching up than anticipated. Will post and mail out prizes as soon as we are able.