Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dream Rifle

Shooter Grrl

16? what ever you get it needs a full length gas system. I would just get a Benny basic package with the 1x4 meoptia cut to 18 and call it done. No aux sight or dot. Open, Scoped Tac or just walking around it will do it all.--------Larry

Kath,

if money was no object, and based on my experience with the upper they built me for Tactical, I'd be calling J.P. to talk about their CTR-02.

I'd also be prepared to talk about the implications of my desire for a 16" barrel, and be prepared to listen to their potential reasons to get at least an 18" tube....

If you want the 16 for weight, the 18" light upper is, well light.....

16? what ever you get it needs a full length gas system. I would just get a Benny basic package with the 1x4 meoptia cut to 18 and call it done. No aux sight or dot. Open, Scoped Tac or just walking around it will do it all.--------Larry

I got " a Benny basic package with the 1x4 meopta" and am very happy. :)

Kat,

That's easy. JP CTR-02. He's building them now with 16" SS barrels. 1:8 twist and mid-length gas system. Guess what I will be building as soon as I get back from Afghanistan? If you go with a 16", get with Mike Pinto on becoming a Carbine Cousin.

Rich

If you go with a 16", get with Mike Pinto on becoming a Carbine Cousin.

Rich

No IF on the 16" - that is the one of 2 things I'm set on - the other being a Krieger barrel. Oh - and I have the stock picked out :)

Well if you have all that picked out, the only thing left is the color of the trigger.--------Larry

Edited by lkytx

JP Tank Brake

Krieger Barrel

JP Adj. gas block

JP/V-Tac Handguard

Mid-Length gas system

Larue Stealth/Vltor/CTR-02 upper

JP Stainless carrier

Colt bolt

Magpul lower

ACOG

Harris bipod

Beta Mag

Black and Yellow Bumblebee scheme paint job.

I built this for a friend

WOA 16" medium profile barrel

Midlenght gas

full lenght V-Tac handguard

set up for rifle lenght sights

Miculek comp

DSCF0632.jpg

Completed upper is on top. My 14.5" midlenght is on the bottom.

DSCF0645.jpg

Edited by stingerjg

Kathy,

Since you specified a 16" barrel, I would make sure to get a mid-length gas system and use an adjustable gas block. With a good compensator you'll be able to tune it to be as soft as a full length system.

Erik

Since you didn't specify for 3 gun only there are actually 2.

#1 A 308 that Benny builds for Heavy metal, he used one at Ark. 3 gun last year. Sweet!

#2 A 6mm. AR that uses a necked down 6.5 Grendel.

Everyone is so insistent on the long or midlength gas system!

I've never run anything longer than a 16" with the short gas tube in the two Colts I've used for soo many rounds (I have no idea-3 tubs of SA + a bunch of UMC on the first barrel) and I've not have any problems to date. I guess the only reason I have heard that would make me switch is that JP says to use their low mass carrier in 20" guns only...

I've seen 20s cut to 18s and they didn't work,

Benny, why do I need a longer gun???

Kath, the JP CTR-02 is the way to go if you want the absolute best for your bux. Wanna' shave a few bux, but still want quality, go with Benny.

As far as a 16 goes, that choice will limit some options, whereas a 17"er with a FL gas system and the JP LMOS would be cake and eat it solution here IMHO.

There really is no better AR made than a top-of-the-line JP.

Rich

No IF on the 16" - that is the one of 2 things I'm set on - the other being a Krieger barrel. Oh - and I have the stock picked out :)

Hey Kat,

I know what you mean. My 16"er will be either a mid or rifle length. Just a little sketchy on the FL gas on a SHORT barrel. But if it works, I'm there. As for a Krieger barrel, that's not a real need. Oly Arms SS Ultramatch barrels are pretty sweet and cheap. DPMS barrels aren't bad either. My point being, that there are a lot of good barrels, especially for 3-Gun under $250.

Rich

JP Tank Brake

Krieger Barrel

JP Adj. gas block

JP/V-Tac Handguard

Mid-Length gas system

Larue Stealth/Vltor/CTR-02 upper

JP Stainless carrier

Colt bolt

Magpul lower

ACOG

Harris bipod

Beta Mag

Black and Yellow Bumblebee scheme paint job.

That's pretty close to what I've come up with John! Except the it looks like I'm gonna use a SureFire comp, a carbon handguard and an Accupoint :)

Oh - and my dream paint job is Kattitude stripes (OF COURSE!)

Rich

Hey Kat,

I know what you mean. My 16"er will be either a mid or rifle length. Just a little sketchy on the FL gas on a SHORT barrel. But if it works, I'm there. As for a Krieger barrel, that's not a real need. Oly Arms SS Ultramatch barrels are pretty sweet and cheap. DPMS barrels aren't bad either. My point being, that there are a lot of good barrels, especially for 3-Gun under $250.

Rich

How much do the Oly Arms barrels weigh? I picked Krieger 'cause they'll MAKE me a SS 16" with flutes and threads :0

If you want a SS, fluted barrel pre-threaded, a couple of the guys at Richmond and I picked up a couple of Model 1 uppers. Not bad for the buck and their barrels are cheap. As for Oly barrels, they're standard weight barrels. If you wanted them fluted or turned down Benny Hill can do it with no problems at all.

Rich

My only experience with OLY barrels is not good. Maybe we just got a bad one but it was trouble from day one unless heavy bullets were used...and even then it wasn't all that accurate. Maybe 3" at 100 yards. My Colt and DPMS barrels are better than that by far.

That's weird. Had one thrown on my last rifle under the advice of Voigt. The Supermatch barrels are sweet and cheap. 1:8 twist too. With good handloads, my 69gr. SMK's shoot about .25 MOA and my bulk 55gr. load is about .5 MOA.

Rich

Hmmm....here is my dream that i have build up!!! :D

WOA 18" SPR SS Barrel(rifle gas)

JP Gasblock

JP V-Tac

Ace stock

Light carrier (all moving parts are only 300grams)

Timney trigger

F2 Comp

Harris bipod

S&B Short Dot with Larue SPR

Oko red dot

493781.JPG

494162.JPG

That is awesome,best shooter i have ever have....

post-6767-1180005819.jpg

DPMS Forged upper and lower

JP 18" supermatch barrel and gas block

JP Cooley comp

JP Fire control and pins

JP LW stainless bolt carrier

Olympic buffer

Arrendando magwell

Hogue rubber grip

PRI carbonfiber handguard

Magpull PRS stock

DPMS steel charge handle

Meopta 1-4 K-dot

LaRue scope mount

I have had several olympic barrels and all were tack drivers, even more accurate than my JP barrel.

Edited by mpeltier

post-6767-1180005819.jpg

I have had several olympic barrels and all were tack drivers, even more accurate than my JP barrel.

I had a Olympic Barrel on my Fowler built M1A, it too shot VERY well.... :):):):)

Edited by Raymond in Houma