Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun matches in IDPA format?

Owen Sparks

Is there such a thing as an official IDPA sanctioned rifle or shotgun match?

Just curious, OS

Short answer = Nope

However, there are lots of "unofficial" 3 gun matches, they run with thier own rules. Many are a blend of rules and have shooters coming from IDPA and USPSA backgrounds.

And they are fun!

We just started an unoffical Pistol Caliber Carbine Division in IDPA that follows the IDPA rules (as close as possible). Only the second time out and its growing in popularity. Perfect excuse for me to build a 10.5" 9mm AR SBR!

Our club (Capital City Rifle Club, Williamston, MI) runs a PCC match on the Sunday after every sanctioned IDPA match. We use the same stage scenarios, but just add a lot more targets. We typically shoot 30 - 50 rounds per stage. We've been doing this for the last year and it has really grown in popularity. We run based on IPSC-like rules, but use IDPA targets and scoring. The typical stage description is "At the buzzer engage targets as they become visible."

Edited by tstuewer

At cleveland rifle club in TN (chrpc.com) we shoot 3-gun scored IDPA and shot like IPSC!! Not sanctioned ofcourse, but FUN, we shoot on the 2nd Sat. every month at 9:00. Maps and contact info can be had on the website. If you are in the area come play with us.

Robin

In Midland, TX we shoot 3 gun every month using A take on the IMGA rules. We score just like IDPA EXCEPT every point down is a full second. Misses hurt even more.

I shot in a match organized by Jerry M last year or the year before. It was a 3-gun match run under mostly IDPA rules, except there were no restrictions on guns. Super time! And you have a better chance of beating Jerry in the match than beating him to get the first piece of tape on the target.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ontelaunee IDPA club puts on an annual NE Regional Shotgun match. They kind of follow IDPA but mostly make up the rules as they go along. No one cares as it is a fun match and now, with no paybacks.

Robert Ray of IDPA HQ recently posted that shotgun etc. side-matches are fine, but that the P in IDPA stands for pistol.

I can understand that the P stands for Pistol..... <_< But to me it would seem like a sound buisnes move for the sport to make. There seems to be a high demand for this kind of evolution of the sport. You get a bunch of people together shooting pistols and they sit around at a match and say how can we have more fun than this? A lot of shooters reply lets add a shotgun.... and a rifle yeah that could be a lot more fun..... :lol:

I know our club here in Benton, Ar has held a few IDPA/ Tactical style 3 gun matches and the people that attended have had nothing but good things to say and always ask when is the next one going to be?

One of the biggest problems with most of the 3 gun matches I have attended is the lack of consistent set of guidelines on equipment. I have even attended a few matches where half of the shooters shot the same match using some of the USPSA rules while the other half of shooters shot the match trying to use the IDPA rules it was a terrible match to say the least. One stage they had a star set up at 35 yards from a fault line and I sent a whole box of bird shot from my smooth bore tactical shot gun before I could then go to my pistol to finish the star. The guys shooting it USPSA style just screwed in a different choke and away they went.

Now to be fair I shoot both sports USPSA and IDPA but I would rather shoot a IDPA/Tactical style 3 gun match over a USPSA style match.

Just my $.02

Our club in Northern Ca. has a shotgun side match after the regular match.

We usually limit the rounds in the shotgun to has the lowest capacity.

We shoot about 4 stages. All steel targets or clay birds.

Another club has a couple of matches per year.

10 round limit in rifle, usually 6 in shotgun. Much higher round count than a regular

IDPA match. Max distance is 100 yards for rifle. Shooting at steel flashers.

It is a lot of fun, and is advertised as a fun 3 gun match.

We shoot 3 gun at Livingston Gun Club here in SE Michigan the 2nd Sunday of each month, we run it in a multi-gun format. We also have an 8 stage tactical shot gun match in August. Check out our website at www.mi3gun.com with any questions.

• 4 weeks later...
Now to be fair I shoot both sports USPSA and IDPA but I would rather shoot a IDPA/Tactical style 3 gun match over a USPSA style match.

Just my $.02

I second that.. I'd love to be able to shoot an IDPA style 3-gun not sure why they don't do it.

1 down zero or two anywhere,,,,,,, - OR - 1 A or two anywhere - depending on which targets you use. If you insist on playing the "tactical" stuff you should at least recognize that a hit from an assault/battle rifle in the center mass of a target should be good enough to continue to the next target without further ado.... :)

I started 3 Gun at our club, about 5 years ago.

We use IDPA targets and scoring. More or less.

It works Great! Scoring is fast and easy. And you don’t need a computer or an accountant to do it.

5 classes so you can bring what you have and still play, but don’t have to shoot against an Open guy,

I’ll attach a score sheet, it prints out ok,, but looks strange in digits.

It will not attach. If you e-mail me, I'll send it to you,,, it is kind of self explanatory.

Jim M ammo

I started 3 Gun at our club, about 5 years ago.

We use IDPA targets and scoring. More or less.

It works Great! Scoring is fast and easy. And you don’t need a computer or an accountant to do it.

5 classes so you can bring what you have and still play, but don’t have to shoot against an Open guy,

I’ll attach a score sheet, it prints out ok,, but looks strange in digits.

It will not attach. If you e-mail me, I'll send it to you,,, it is kind of self explanatory.

Jim M ammo

That sounds good! PM sent.

Thanks. :)

I shoot a IDPA multigun match at a local club. It's different and really easy to score. It's a good break from the traditional style matches that most of us shoot. More than anything the are definately fun! Everybody leaves with a smile and asks when are we having another one.

Chris