Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Not Use Dillon Dies?

Ok, I'm getting the 650, I've decided that. I have an older RCBS 9mm set with steel sizer that I upgraded with a Lee sizer. I was just thinking of getting a Lee factory crimp die to round out the set.

So I'd have a:

1) Lee sizer

2) Dillon powder drop on the conversion kit

3) RCBS seater (and not crimp here)

4) Lee fact. crimp die

Will this work as smoothly as using Dillon dies? When I had my 550, I had Dillon dies (in .45) and liked them, but figure I can save $40 going the above route.

Anyone NOT use Dillon dies? Any reason I should just get the Dillon dies and be done with it?

The mouth on the dillon dies are radiused some to aid in progressive press function. With that being said... I use a mismash of dies on my 550 and 1050 so there are not any inherrent problems with your proposal.

I like the dillon seating dies as I like the quick release and cleaning capability of them.

Steven

Edited by standles

i'm in the same boat as Standles. The only dillon die in my 650 toolhead is the powder drop die. EGW "u" die, Redding micrometer seater and Lee FCD.

I use this same setup for 38 sc and 45. My 9mm I only changed out the crimp. My rifle setup doesn't use any Dillon dies on a Dillon machine.

Adam

I use the Lee U-die, Dillon expander, Redding CSD, and Lee standard crimper. I don't use ANY of the Dillon dies anymore, I do miss how smooth they run but they just don't get low enough on the case for me.

I've been running a 4 die set of Lee's for 9mm and .40 without any problems for the last 4 years. They're cheap enough to buy a second set in 9mm and an extra tool head to change between 124g and 115g bullets. I'll buy another set Lee's in .223 soon.

EGW "U" Cap/size, Dillon Powder Drop and funnel, RCBS Micrometer (.40 only) Lee Factory Crimp 9mm, .40 and 38 super.

This is for the 1050s and the 650. Also on the 1050 swag and expader set.

Use the correct buttons, kube your cases and don't force things. The machines run great.

Jim

Hi,

550 toolheads .308W:

- Redding competition bushing neck die / Redding body die / Dillon powder die/ Redding competition seater

- Forster BR full length sizer / Dillon powder die / Forster BR seater

- RCBS competition full length sizer / Dillon powder die / Dillon seater

650 toolheads .223R:

- Redding full length bushing S-die / Dillon powder die / Redding competition seater

- Forster BR full length sizer / Dillon powder die / Forster BR seater

650 toolhead 9mm P:

- RCBS sizer / Dillon powder die / Redding competition seater / Dillon crimp die

Cheers from Holland,

BolloX

Edited by Bollocks

Had problems with the Dillon sizing die not popping the cap out of the case, so changed over to a Lee Carbide... it only has a thread or two for the lock ring on my 1050, but it is every bit as smooth as the Dillon and no issues with piercing the primer and pulling it back into the case with the Lee. I also like the Lee seater die with its thumb and finger adjustments for seating depth.

If you're using older dies, I'd replace the seater too. Older dies aren't designed around progressive presses; the openings are smaller and can catch the case mouth on the upstroke. I'd spring for the Dillon seater die, and go with the rest of your plan.

I use Hornady seater, Hornady sizer and the FCD WITHOUT the carbide sizer. I'm very pleased with this combo in my 550. The only times I've ever smashed a case is when I forgot to put a button back in or I had the paper clip set too tightly against the case in station #1. Dillon dies are nice but certainly not necessary.

Bronson7

1) Lee sizer

2) Dillon powder drop

3) RCBS seater

4) Lee fact. crimp die

Will this work as smoothly as using Dillon dies?

Yes, almost the have same set up for my 550 and works just fine.

Edited by Mig