Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meeting A Wwii Vet...

TDean

I dropped my toddler off at daycare and stopped-in at a local grocery store to get my morning cup of coffee. There was this old man standing at the entrance next to a table of items he was "selling", no big deal, you see that all the time, I just walked by. I stopped in my tracks though when my mind had registered what I saw on his table. I walked back to get a closer look at the original newspapers from 12/07/41, US Navy medals and a picture of the USS Arizona. He was selling a book that he had written. It was a very thin book and the money was going to cancer research, so I bought one. I was more interested in him though... He is one of five living survivors who were aboard the Arizona that Sunday morning. It was a privilege to shake this man's hand. He is one of the "greatest generation" and reminded me of members of my own family who are no longer living.

It was a good morning.

Thank a vet today.

WOW...

meeting people of that generation is a great experience..I remember spending hours talking to my dad and his friends..

but the man you met today..wow.. B)

thanks for sharing..

I watched a program on the History Channel this morning about the USS Arizona. It appears that the National Park Service took a keen interest in the Arizona in the early 1980's and did a detailed underwater appraisal of the ship and came up with what the ship acutally looks like today. But I ramble.....

The thing that impressed me the most was that on the anniverary of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor each year, if there is a crewmember ,who survived the destruction of the vessle, that has died in the last year, his family can have his remains interred on the Arizona with the rest of his shipmates.

The WWII vets in my family didn't talk much about the war until they were all close to death. Too many of them saw atrocities that they would just as soon forget.

dj

Hey Paddy,

I briefly entertained the idea about joining the RO squad, but never sent the paperwork in. I decided to fly into Boise for the "Glocks Only" match this weekend instead. Should be fun...

My Grandfather drove a tank in Europe during WWII. Man, the stories he can tell :o He's hanging in there but won't be around much longer :( Anytime you get a chance to talk to one of these guys is a story well worth any amount of money.

Being somewhat masochistic I am going to shoot the Ephrata (sold out again for the 5th year!!!) three gun, beat myself silly with HM gear and then hot rod it down to shoot the Glock's only match too!

Gotta get some practice in somehow.

See you there

Patrick

My family is in the Commemerative (used to be Confederate) Air Force and I have had the honor of spending many hours listening to some of the stories the "old timers" (I mean that in a good way) would tell after the air shows. It is a pity that we didnt record some of them for future generations to hear the real stories of WW II. Any veteran is a good veteran. God Bless them all.

Total thread drift, but what the heck..

Being somewhat masochistic I am going to shoot the Ephrata (sold out again for the 5th year!!!) three gun, beat myself silly with HM gear and then hot rod it down to shoot the Glock's only match too!

Gotta get some practice in somehow.

See you there

Patrick

Allright!

Speaking of the match. I was thinking that the single 140mm basepad I have for my G22 would be sufficient, but I'm having doubts now...a day before that match. I was just on the phone with Robin Taylor (he's driving to the Ephrata 3gun) asking him if he knew of any local distributors for his basepads. He didn't, but he happened to have a couple of them sitting on his desk at the USPSA office in Sedro (30min north of me). As long as I get there befre 5pm...Now that's customer service! :)

See you in Boise.

three years ago, after leaving for the California match at 3am I stoped in the heat 150 miles from ElPaso Tx to help a (old )guy that could not get the lug nuts off his truck tire, big one tun truck with a trailer. My buddy thought I was crazy for risking my hands on this truck & tire, But <_< I just felt like I needed to. Well the spair was no good & the rim was the wrong size. He did have a trailer with a car on it, so I / We, helped him get the car off the tariler & the tire in the car and got him set to make the rum after the new tire. I got him set on how to leverage the new tire into place and he was certian he was "Good to Go"

I parting he gave me his (Card) The Old guy was a vet. pilot from the group that flew over China to run the Japs out at the end of WWII Suart recongnised the flite group.

;) That was a good match for me

three years ago, after leaving for the California match at 3am I stoped in the heat 150 miles from ElPaso Tx to help a (old )guy that could not get the lug nuts off his truck tire, big one tun truck with a trailer. My buddy thought I was crazy for risking my hands on this truck & tire, But <_< I just felt like I needed to. Well the spair was no good & the rim was the wrong size. He did have a trailer with a car on it, so I / We, helped him get the car off the tariler & the tire in the car and got him set to make the rum after the new tire. I got him set on how to leverage the new tire into place and he was certian he was "Good to Go"

I parting he gave me his (Card) The Old guy was a vet. pilot from the group that flew over China to run the Japs out at the end of WWII Suart recongnised the flite group.

;) That was a good match for me

Flying Tiger mercenaries right?

FM

It is a pity that we didnt record some of them for future generations to hear the real stories.....of WW II.

It's not always easy to get them to talk. I had the privilege of knowing a WWII vet and war hero for about 15 years and served with him on a local gun club board for several of those years. I knew he was a WWII veteran, but didn't know about the extent of his exploits while he was still alive.

I regret that I had to wait for the book to come out after he died to realize that this rather modest individual was the "real thing".

(http://www.amazon.com/My-Fathers-Secret-Wa...7536194-3636138

My dad and five brothers went to war. Five came home. My biggest regret is that I never was able to go to Italy and see where my uncle was buried when i was stationed there.

There are no men like them anymore.

The vets from Vietnam and southwest asia and elsewhere come close, but I don't think they are the same. They deserve every bit as much respect and honor.

God Bless Them All!!