Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Normal?

SteveZ

So I'm doing a DEEP clean tonight of my STI Edge and notice this.....

PICT3214.jpg

I can see light through the frame on the back side where the right side of the ambi safety lever channel would be. Doesn't look good...but maybe thats normal and I've never noticed it before? :blink: The lever on the ambi is not contacting the frame here.

Is this anything to be concerned about? Gun is less than a year old....probably 2000 rounds through it...bought from Dawson Precision.

Totally normal, they use a slitting saw to cut that recess and due to variances in the manufacture of the frame they get a little deep sometimes. It isn't anything structural, just a little ugly. Every STI frame I own has it to some degree or another, yours just happens to be the worst one I have seen though.

+1 on HSMITH.

Every STI/SV frame I have ever seen has this cut. totally normal. They will tend to crack at the back corner of the cut for the slide stop. Also no problem. They will run forever!

Once you put the grip back on and get it as dirty as it should be, you will never know.

You see the damage overcleaning will do. :P

Well....I will know...but I won't see it! :) Ok...that it...I'm never cleaning my gun again! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the responses. Glad to know that my guns not any different than the thousands of other STI's out there.

<_< NO! it not Normal! <_< well for someone to get a year old gun that clean. What id you do take it to a car wash?

Thats cleaner than my coffey pot :blink:

Well actually I hosed it down with break cleaner just before shooting the picture....that and having it hardchromed makes it really CLEAN looking! :P

:)

Thats isnt a crack dont go drilling or anything else like the guys said

typical STI. Just forget it and shoot heck out of it. ;)

jim

Sailors

+ 1 for not drilling... if it really bothers you .... get a little BONDO and some silver touchup paint....

:P

Thats isnt a crack dont go drilling or anything else like the guys said

typical STI. Just forget it and shoot heck out of it. ;)

I'm glad I saw this thread before I saw something like this on my Edge, I dont know if its like this on mine, but if I had saw it I would have FREAKED OUT!!!

You never fail to learn something on this site...awesome!

• 10 months later...

Love the search feature. Was deep cleaning my open gun and noticed this crack in the same spot. Freaked me out so bad I was shaking. Tried the search feature and found out it was normal, thank God! :-)