Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Its been a while since I lived in New Mexico (circa 1975), but at that time BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land was open to the public for hunting and target shooting. If still the same, you've got lots of territory to set up targets for practice.

Just be sure to clean up after you've finished.

Bill

There is a pretty good range in Carlsbad. They used to shoot USPSA there, but the club has been defunct for quite a while. I think they may shoot SASS.

http://www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com/parks_and_...sports_complex/

I found this link, but have no idea about any of the range rules, i.e. drawing and shooting on the move.

Hobbs NM has a USPSA club.

http://www.leaactionshooters.com/

Pretty good guys. They held the West Texas regional last year at their club. They even gave me a gun after I DQ'ed. How is that for cool! :D

KS

If you can make it to Hobbs, they do a good job the first Saturday of every month with their matches. We drive 95 miles each way every chance we get. They are part of a bigger shooting range, so I'm not sure what it takes to shoot if you aren't a member of the range. The "big" range has rifle range shooting, cowboy action, & then of course, USPSA matches. Give 'em a try if you are close enough. Someof the guys from the DEA training center come over on occasion & shoot. MLM

• 2 months later...

Just trying to confirm this match info before I drive anywhere...

Mesilla Valley (in Las Cruces) shoots 3rd Saturday at 0900

Lea County shoots on the first Saturday, also at 0900

Otero shoots on the 4th Sundays near La Luz

Rio Grande (also known as Caja del Rio?) shoots on either the third or first saturday.......?

Help would be greatly appreciated

FY42385

Rio Grande (also known as Caja del Rio?) shoots on either the third or first saturday.......?

FY42385

Rio Grande shoots at the city range in AQ on the first and third Saturday of the month. There used to be a Caja del Rio club, but they lost their range in Santa Fe, so RGPSC took over that name as well. The plan was that if anyone wanted to re-establish CDR it would still be available....works out just fine as it's the same people administering both. I can't remember which is which, but technically one match is Rio and the other Caja, but it's transparent from a shooter perspective. Now that the weather is nice, the matches have had a decent turnout and seem to be getting bigger. RPGSC has a website:

http://www.rgpsc.com/index.html

Los Alamos Sportsman's club also has a match on the second Sat of the month, but they haven't had big turnouts lately. There were only nine shooters last week.

Come out and shoot with us at RPGSC on 7 July, you'll enjoy it....great people and fun stages!

Hobbs does shoot the first Saturday of the month. Here is their website:

www.leaactionshooters.com. The matches are lots of fun & most months, they will have either a rifle or shotgun side match after the pistol match. It is just for fun with a little cash payback. Makes the club a few bucks & gives everyone a chance to play with their 3-gun stuff. Come on over, it is a good time!

MLM

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I hear you made it over to Hobbs yesterday. Did you have a good time? Several of my friends made it over, also. They said you did really well, even for a GM :blink: . For some reason I thought you might be a newer shooter! hahaha.

MLM

FY42385

Las Cruces shoots the 1st and 3rd saturday. PM me, or my email on the uspsa site. 9am start, 3 stages +classifer. Take I-10W. to the Corallitos exit, turn right, gravel road, for about a mile, (you'll pass through the gates and cattle guard) and head on out the the 8 pistol bays.

• 3 months later...
Double checking that Rio Grande is shooting this Saturday? At 0900?

Thanks

Absolutely....we'll be there. Stop in at the main range office and pay them the daily fee of $6 (thell them you're with RGPSC) and then head a little further West to the bays....couple hundred yards down the road on the right. You'll see a bunch of cars and some large storage sheds. The far west one will have tables set out in front for sign up and you'll probably meet Carolyn the stats superstar!

Looking for a good range to practice at in the SE corner of the state....Artesia/Roswell/Carlsbad area.

A USPSA-friendly practice range, ideally.....

Thanks

John

FY42385

John, Are you really sure that you DON'T have a USPSA friendly range to practice at ???? Sometimes things ARE What We make them. Hope to see you at the club shoot tomorrow. Hope we dont get BLOWN out.

b.s._nm

I posted that original question way back in April before I moved here.

I skipped the match today....after the match yesterday in ABQ, I had some STUFF to work on. The wind was outrageous. Completely out of control. Hopefully the morning wasn't as bad.

FY42385

John,

Hope you had a good time shooting our match in Albuq. Enjoyed having you up and hope to see you in the future. As you could probably tell we try to put together good run and gun stages. What you shot Saturday is indicitive of the stages we put together for all of our matches. We also have a good time ragging on each other. All in fun. You give and you take.

CYa,

Pat

The stages were great, as was the turnout. You can bet that I WILL be making that drive. Very worthwhile. I was under the impression that the start time was 0900; with it being 1000, I don't have to get up at ridiculous o'clock.

FY42385

I probably missed the date that you originaly posted that. Not trying to be a contrarian. Hope you enjoyed the shoot in Abq. The first two or three stages Sunday wer'nt bad but after that it got wicked. Spent lots of time driving stakes, putting paper back up, and wipping sand from our eyes. sometimes you just got to grin and bear it. Sent you an e=mail through this forum about a week ago. Maybe you didn't get it. Hope to see all at the next shoot.

Later

b.scrib_nm

Yeah, the match starts at 10:00am. If you arrive a little late you can just shoot through and play catch up. Setup is at 9:00am although some of us arrive around 8:00. We don't expect out of towners to show up at the butt crack of dawn, just come up and shoot when you can and give us a hand tearing the stages down if you have the time. If you need any other info take a look at www.rgpsc.com. As you heard at the shooters meeting the good folks in Las Cruces are going to try to hold the NM state match next year. We will be having the 4th annual High Desert Shootout at Albuquerque in June. Last year we had 145 shooters, 9 GM's and 12 Masters. We will be having 9 stages over 2 days. Hope to see you there.

CYa,

Pat