Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Careless With Gear

boo radley

As in: "Now, where the f*** did I put that guide rod??"

Or: "Hmm...is the ammo in this ziplock the Production minor stuff?"

Etc. I don't even *have* that many guns, and I'm not generally a disorganized person, but it freakin' amazes me how easy it is, to be a little careless with parts, screws, ammo, springs, and the myriad of other "things" that surround this game.

Boo,

I feel your pain ... I recently found an acro-bin full of ammo that was loaded within the past 5 years or so. I have no idea what the purpose was, or powder used. I might just take it out and take a chance!

Nemo,

Measure the wire diameter of a known spring and use that to start your comparison. 1911 recoil springs usually increase/decrease about .001" per pound of pressure. That is a decent "rule of thumb" anyway.

I have a coffee can full of ammo that is mixed with magor and minor .40 because at some point, it just got mixed up in the storage boxes. Pretty odd going to the range and getting BANG..POP..POP...POP...BANG :blink:

I have some of those spring bags too...

I'm still asking that first question myself, I have no clue where my tungsten guide rod went.

If you don't find it let me know. I may have one, or may not. That's how organized I am with gun parts. :wacko:

Some of those odd loaded rounds makes for an interesting "flinch detector". I loaded about 500 Major 40's for a match last year that I'm still running into. They were moon clipped up with some minor stuff and occasionally I'll get the same thing, pop-pop-pop-BANG-pop-BANG. I've had RO's flich away from me when it made more noise than they were expecting.. I just kept pulling the trigger :)

Vince

I wish it was that easy. I've got a small organizer box like those, and I STILL have 8 or 9 Glock firing pin spring that I have no idea whether they are light or stock.

Stock (factory) striker springs are a light gray color. Maybe some kind of phosphate

coating?

Aftermarket light springs are a smaller wire size, and brown/blue in color.

Same with trigger and recoil springs---Glock factory is easy to recognize once you

figure out what the factory color is.

Bill