Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade Or Spend Money On Ammo?

Ok, I have a Lee Turret with auto index set up in 40sw. I have the extra cash to get a SQB, but my little voice is saying "spend the money on ammo or Mags; your press is working fine." If I'm lucky I will shoot 1000 rounds a month. From those that have used both is it worth it to upgrade to SDB from the Lee 4 hole turret for 1000 rounds a month?

Twist my arm; but don't break it. :D I'm only going to load 40 in any real volume so don't try to sell me on the 550 or 650. I can reload rifle on my Lee turret if I need to load rifle.

Thanks

I'm a huge fan of blue presses.... I don't know anything about the Lee press you have, though, so I couldn't really assess what would be better for you, in this case. ;)

I'm a big fan of rounds downrange, too, so.... :lol:

Ok, I have a Lee Turret with auto index set up in 40sw. I have the extra cash to get a SQB, but my little voice is saying "spend the money on ammo or Mags; your press is working fine." If I'm lucky I will shoot 1000 rounds a month. From those that have used both is it worth it to upgrade to SDB from the Lee 4 hole turret for 1000 rounds a month?

Twist my arm; but don't break it. :D I'm only going to load 40 in any real volume so don't try to sell me on the 550 or 650. I can reload rifle on my Lee turret if I need to load rifle.

Thanks

How long does it take to load 1000 rounds on the Lee press?

That's the same upgrade I made years ago. Definitely make the upgrade and see what its like to use a real press. The Lee feels like a tinkertoy by comparision. I pulled the handle on a SDB at a gun store and hated my Lee after that. Couldn't upgrade fast enough.

It's a real joy to produce a loaded round with each pull of the handle instead of every 4 pulls.

Do it.....I know where i'am talking about. My wife tells me always, you are crazy when the color is blue. I have one 650, two 550's en three SD's. And i never regret i bought them.

I don't like changing the presses from one to an other caliber, so i have a press for each caliber i shoot.

Ok, getting ready to order, and I see I can get 4 extra primer pickup tubes for 17.95 or I can get the spare parts kit for the same price that includes 2 large and 2 small pick up tubes for the same price.

Am I missing something? It seems like the spare parts kit is a no brainer?

SDB Spare Parts Kit breakdown from dillon website.

Includes:

4 SD Wave Bearings

1 SD Spent Primer Chute

1 SD Detent Ball

1 SD Ejector Wire

2 Magazine Orifices, Small

2 Magazine Orifices, Large

2 SD Slide Return Springs

1 SD Primer Slide Roller

1 SD Slide Roller Bolt

1 Indexer Lever

1 SD Index awl

1 SD Index Pawl Pin

1 SD Index Pawl Spring

1 Toolhead Friction Plate

2 Pistol Decapping Pins

1 Bellcrank Cube

2 Pickup Tube Tips, Large (Green)

2 Pickup Tube Tips, Small (Yellow)

Edited by North

The spare parts kit is a must have as far as Im concerned. 99% of what you break is in that kit. Cuts down time in a big way. Just remember to call Dillon for replacements as you use parts from the kit.----------Larry

Edited by lkytx

I'd not get the primer tubes and plan on buying the Frankford Arsenal primer tube filler that Midway sells. You can buy extra primer tubes with that if you find you're going to want them. The tool was $30 with shipping so add a copule more bucks for extra tubes.

I'd definitely upgrade to ANY Dillon if I was in your position.

Interesting thread

I am torn about upgrading later this year to a 1050.

I hear there are the best, I want my reloading to be the easiest possible, so it would also include a KISS bullet feeder. I would not keep my 650, so it will need to be sold to fund the 1050 if I decide to go that route.

Oh, decisions decisions!!!

Smoke

That is kinda the thinking that I have been going with.

but hang out around here long enough and anyone will believe that the 1050 it the ONLY way to go!!

I have no problem with the primer on the upstroke, and with a KISS, well, how much faster can it really be?

Z,

Get the KISS before you decide to upgrade. I have a 650 with the KISS and I see no reason to go to a 1050 for pistol rounds YMMV.

smoke,

What is your "no-bs-yes-this-is-honest" loading rate you get with the 650 and the KISS system for say .38 super or .40 or your pistol caliber of choice?

I have heard report of some pretty high rates, I am wondering if that is truely the case.

If you buy the dillon, you should buy it here from brian.

i bopught a 650 here and the service has been tremendous. plus, he provides an excellent forum and he supports USPSA by generously donating to the prize table.

Z and MS

To give you an idea of my rate on the 650 here's my SYSTEM :D

I load 9 major so the case if pretty full which means I take the primer seat/shellplate index portion of the stroke very smooth. This allows me to feel the primer seat and not pop the shellplate spilling powder. I have 9 primer tubes so I load the machine with primers then load all nine tubes making for an even 1k rounds.

I have no problem finishing the 1k rounds in around 50 minutes. That includes keeping the KISS full, primer tube full, and lubing cases and putting them in the casefeeder 4 times.

I know people say the 1050 turns out better rounds but last night I ran 1k rounds and casegauged them for match ammo. I had 1 round not gravity fall into a dillon case gauge. I chronoed about 30 rounds today and came up with and SD of 6.9 and an Ext. Spread of only 24 fps. It seems that with the bullet feeder you are able to be much more consistent with the press handle and therefore the ammo is that much more consistent.

Anyway, great ammo on a machine that doesn't go out of warranty and much more simple to clear malf's when they occasionally occur. I would never tell anyone not to get a 1050 if thats what they want, however if you are gonna get the KISS anyway, try it on the 650 first. You may end up saving yourself a lot of component money :P

North,

Sorry about the thread hijack,

Get the SDB you will not regret it. Also consider if you ever get in a bind those blue machines sell for all but ten bucks less than you paid for them so you are never out the dineros.

I never meant to suggest to buy from anyone but Brian. I only listed the parts breakdown from the Dillon site, because I couldn't find it on the BENOS world.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, but the question I meant to ask is the pickup tubes listed in the parts kit the same as the extra primer SM/LG pickup tubes sold separately?

Going to balls to the wall, checking 1 in 10 for OAL I loaded 50 rounds in 18 minutes and 27 seconds on the Lee 4-hole Turret. My beverage even got warm but that would be 150 round pr Hour. What is a "No BS" load rate for the SQB in 40SW?

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Edited by North

With a steady effort I can load 450 rounds an hour on my SDB. Of course my 650 blows THAT away, but 450 an hour isn't bad.

Somewhere in here is a thread on loading speed and an SDB...I know when I had mine, I got kinda obsessed about the fastest way to load, and economy of motion.

JFD's number sounds about right. Thinking back, I'd load something like 300 rounds in 30-40 minutes, take a break, and load another 100. 400/hr was a pretty solid capacity statement....

You do need extra primer tubes, however. Also, another tip -- I poured the cases I'd need into a plastic tupperware container, and affixed that to the Acrobin with a binder-clip; this way the cases I'd need were right there at hand.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, but the question I meant to ask is the pickup tubes listed in the parts kit the same as the extra primer SM/LG pickup tubes sold separately?

In the spare parts kit, it's only the plastic "pickup tube tips", not the complete pickup tubes.