Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversize Magwell "crowds My Hand"

KentG

I am a SS refugee with a new STI with an oversize magwell. I am having a really hard time making the transistion. I have watched numerous grip vidieos and pix and still cant find a comfort zone. It seems the one thing that MAY contribute in my mind is my strong hand feels crowded or pushed up by the magwell. Im not sure if thats what it really is or just trying to go to a widebody after shooting a SS for a long time.

Am I alone or do I just need to keep working at it. Due to the shitty winter I doubt I have a thousand rounds thru this so if Im not the lone ranger on this transition I will keep at it.

Which magwell do you have? Also, is the pressure on the front or rear?

A Dawson, its a nice piece.

The pressure or "push" seems to be on the front I think.

I have considered doing the undercut on the trigger gaurd but I am hesitant to do that on a brand new 2K plus gun unless I knew it would help.

I'm kinda picky about what magwells I like, I never did put one on the Glock when shooting Limited. The magwell does work like a pommel..adds weight and locks the grip in.

If you hand is crowded, then the magwell that is on there might not be the one for you. Removing it and going without it for a while should let you know.

Also...you are switching guns. Things are different. The "new thing" is not going to feel natural to you at all. You need to get some time in behind the platform. Which should mean dry-fire, gun handling. Anything can become natural if we train it in.

Some magwells such as the Dawson Ice are really big.

It can be a bit much depending on the grip and the size of your hand.

The first one I owned went on a Para P14 and it did bother me for a while.

It does, however, make a really big target for mag changes.

Leave it on for a while and see if you get used to it.

If not there are smaller ones out there.

Check out the SV.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Go back to the standard STI mag well,

that $2000 gun has a modular grip frame that is $150 to replace the plastic grip :) lots of places sell them and some with the world already done to it.

most shooters get the dawson so it will push their hand up on the gun. Going from single stack i can see your struggle. Don't go totally without the mag well for long. but the hole is still the same size ( which is big IMO) you just have to aim for it more.

Flexmoney does fine in limited without a mag well. it's usually one reload per stage on the move anyway.

Thanks for the input. I think Im going to try for a while longer to get used to it and if I still feel iffy about it Im going to try a smaller magwell and or something like the brazos ultra grip and have them undercut it before they send it.

I had an EGW on the gun before going to the ICE. The ICE doesn't both my grip, and I like the magwell a bunch, so I'm sticking w/ the ICE. That said - to give you an idea of the size difference between the two - the EGW mag well fits inside the opening in the ICE magwell. That's right - the whole EGW magwell.... ;)

A smaller magwell should resolve the problem for you nicely... any of the brands mentioned should work equally well, its just a matter of the styling and overall size....

Funny this topic is on here today. I put a Dawson Ice mag well on my open gun Friday and shot it in a match today....when I got home, the STI mag well went back on. The Dawson is a great product but it messed up my grip a ton. I really had a hard time driving the gun. I have also used EGW mag wells in the past. Personally I will be sticking with the STI SS magwell.

Ktyler

After further reflection and dryfire Im going to put the factory STI magwell on and I have looked at the website for the Advanced Performance grip. It looks very much like a cure to my symptoms.

BUT the owner seems to be off serving us in the sandbox so pending a phone call that may be on hold.

I have smaller hands and prefer the ICE magwell so that it DOES push my hands up for a higher grip. I do have an undercut trigger gaurd though so I dont really feel overly crowded there.

I took the ICE off my Bedell Spitfire and put on a SVI magwell. I have big hands and the ICE caused me not to be able to get a good grip on the gun. The SVI is a world better for my oversize mitts.

David

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound odd, but I have very large hands, and I use an older "black hole" magwell on my STI open gun, because it is huge and it FORCES my strong hand into the proper position. If I mount the gun incorrectly in the holster I immediatly know it and can make the slight correction before I lift and present the gun. Yes, the grip is slightly crowded, but I guess it is kind of like my security blanket, because I instantly know if my grip is right or wrong.. I guess it's just a different way of looking at the same problem..