Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Energy Bars / Mrp's Commercially Available

dirtypool40

I searched, I didn't find, so I opened a thread.

I like the Clif bars, but I wanted to ask who else has tried the Xience breakfast bars and new (to me?) Muscle Milks bars.

The Xience are GREAT for breakfast, and tase like fien granola with grape or cranberry juice mixed in.

The Muscle Milk seem to be a great "meal replacement" / recovery bar, and are THE BEST TASTING / textured I've ever found.

Who else?

What else?

I'm tring the Zone Perfect bars now. 80 calories, 6g of protein. Not bad, but a little small. 2-3 would be great in the range bag though. They taste great.

Others that I enjoy are the Detour bars. Taste like Snickers and Baby Ruth combined. Awesome.

The EAS Myoplex bars are great too.

Tough to beat CLIFF bars though.

Oh...Slim Fast bars are awesome too.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Good point as always Matt. And USCBD, you can throw a Cliff bar in your bag and it won't turn into goo. I find them at Publix for about $1, cheaper than even buying them in bulk online.

For an "in the shooting bag" bar, I'd also have to DQ anything with a chocolate coating.

I've just (barely) started working out and dieting again, and find myself grabbing something on the run and trying to avoid the ever present doughnuts.

USC you have got to try a Muscle Milk bar if you like that "snickers / baby ruth" sort of flavor. I had the Chocolate Peanut Caramel one this morning, andit's the first time I really felt like I was cheating with a candy bar instead of choking down protein enriched sawdust. Ain't cheap though, at $2.50+

I'll eat the Zone and Slim Fast bars but the Muscle Milk sounds good.

IF you need a quick burst of energy like I seem to need at the end of a long day at the range, I'll do a shot of "GU" - there are several different compaines making a similar product - PowerBar, GU, etc etc. They're good for about a 30 minute burst of energy for me and digest really well. You don't have to worry about them melting because they are already in a goo-ey state. ;)

I like the vanilla or cherry flavors best.

The trick to "energy bars" is to look at the ingredients!!

Many are NOT what the buyer would think. Go for low carbs and high Protien!!

Jay's right, that's why I got off the "power bars" #1 ingredient HFCS. Clif's are better, and more like a cookie, less like play-dough.

The Lara Bars are nice but lower in protien, the detours are good too, I've been eating those "Big 100" bars for breakfast lately, the local stop & rob has em.

Try those Xyience breakfast dealies in berry flavor.

Edited by dirtypool40

I'm liking the Powderbar Harvest bars lately. The double chocolate flavor is pretty good. I think 220 cals. Not sure on protein or fiber, but they work to satify in a pinch and actually taste like food as opposed to some of those bars that to me taste like chemicals.

When they are on sale at safeway, I can get em for about a buck each.

Vince

...some of those bars that to me taste like chemicals.

Vince

I hear ya, Muscle Milk tastes good when I make a shake at home with milk, but the water based ones that they pre-package are very chemi-licious. :(

The MM bars ROCK!!! They got that one right. Other bars car vary from particle board, to play-dough to halfway decent.

I recently aquired (someone gave them to me) some of those snickers energy bars. They taste lousy, are dry, and are generally unpalatable, so I put them into my survival kits.. You know, in the car, backpack etc. If they taste good I'd eat em up and not have them when I really needed them, I figure ok, the old Dundee quote, "it taste like crap but it'll keep you alive.." So there ya go :D

Vince

Here's some food for thought :-) I've been fortunate enough to get to work with some awesome nutrion people both from the gym, and previous sports.

I'll generalise, because obviously everyone is different, wether you are trying to lose/gain or maintain. The fundamentals stay pretty much the same though.

Don't be scared of carbs. Protein is what muscle eat to grow, but carbs is where the muscle gets energy to do work. In our sport having enough carbs is a big part of getting through a match.

If there's interest we can talk about metabolism as well, another huge part of nutrition.

Cliffs bars are a great natural snack.

:blink:

Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Beta Carotene (Vit. A), Zinc Citrate, Phytonadione (Vit. K1), Biotin, Niacinamide (Vit. B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vit. B5), Potassium Iodide, Manganese Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamin (Vit. B1), Chromium Chloride, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid (Vit. B9), Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6).

Wouldn't an apple be a 'natural snack'?

Muscle Milk stuff tastes good because it has so much fat in it. Same with Lara bars.

When I want a protein bar, Pure Protein chocolate peanut butter bars taste so good I won't waste money even trying any others. But yeah, mid-match, carbs are where it's at.

Cliffs bars are a great natural snack.

:blink:

Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Beta Carotene (Vit. A), Zinc Citrate, Phytonadione (Vit. K1), Biotin, Niacinamide (Vit. B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vit. B5), Potassium Iodide, Manganese Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamin (Vit. B1), Chromium Chloride, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid (Vit. B9), Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6).

Wouldn't an apple be a 'natural snack'?

Wow.

You gotta admire a man that's willing to do that much typing to make a point :lol:

T

FWIW... I've tried a few things. Cliff Bars routinely do not cause me to do a carb crash... so, I trust them. Also, I've been eating Cliff Mojo bars - they're like soft peanut brittle, with different things. Plenty of protein, not too sweet, and a good thing to alternate with a Cliff Bar. I try to eat something - half of one, or a whole one - in between each stage. Seems to keep my energy up, as long as I'm also taking in enough fluid... ;)

• 5 months later...

I'm currently working out and I've been making a protein shake consisting of the following.

6 ice cubes

1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt

1/2 cup 1/2% milk

two scoops of protein powder

five strawberries

1 tablespoon of all natural peanut butter

I've also been eating the Met-Rx Protein Plus bars with 32g of protein 0g trans fat and 2g of sugar.