Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Millett Dms-1..... True 1-4 Scope For 3-gun?

sfinney

Here are some pictures of my DMS from Millett mounted on my Olympics Arms 20 in AR. I have been on the run at work and I only shot it once to sight it in. We had a USPSA Rifle Match at Cool Springs last month but the targets were so close I shot my 16" AR with my EOTECH.

I am not an optics expert but I like the scope. IMHO, it is a lot of scope for the money. However, with the short stages we shoot at my club, I bet I will usually shoot the 16 in AR with the EOTECH.

post-1626-1178846858.jpg

post-1626-1178846871.jpg

post-1626-1178847035.jpg

Ranger,

Awesome. Is it possible to post a pic or two of the reticle through the scope? Maybe just in your back yard? I'm really curious to see how big the circle is (you said it's much smaller than an EO reticle). I'm really interested in this for my 16" AR as well.

Thanks!

Well they have changed the design somewhat. I just got this in from Midway, they are already out again I believe. I paid $229 or $239 I think..

As you can see from the photos, the illumination adjustment is on the side of the scope now. The scope is solid and heavy.. 17.2 oz by my scale. It seems to have about 3.5" of eye relief. It appears to be a true 1x, at first I thought it wasn't but I then realized I needed to adjust the diopter.

The turrets are funky, I should have gotten a pic (and I will once this is mounted on my gun). Remove the caps and they are easy to finger turn but I'm not sure how you track the number of clicks... not a big deal to me as this is not a scope I'm going to 'dial in' for ranged shots.

My picture skills suck.. these were taken in good light but not midday bright light. In bright light the illumination does wash out a bit. The dot is fast to pickup and the center dot is fine enough for precision shots.

The box was ok with a velour bag for the scope but there was no scope specific information about the recticle sizes, fov or other details.. it almost seems the paperwork hasn't caught up the the revised scope.

I will mount it up and try and shoot it this weekend.

BTW - In the shot with the illuminated recticle there is a bit of blur to the circle & dot, that is due to my camera/scope mount (hand) moving.. the dot itself is a crisp round line.

post-7152-1179295506.jpg

post-7152-1179295522.jpg

post-7152-1179295533.jpg

post-7152-1179295549.jpg

Edited by Spaceghost

SpaceGhost,

Thanks so much for posting your review and pics. I'm really sold on it now, despite the reticle not being as bright as an ACOG in full sun. The black etched reticle is a great fall back if this happens.

One more question: I'm trying to figure out what mount I need to buy. The Larue SPR-E is a really nice piece, but it's almost as much as the scope ($200)! For 3.5" of eye relief you state, would you be able to mount it in rings on the receiver of an AR?

Edited by GlowingDonut

but there was no scope specific information about the recticle sizes, fov or other details.. it almost seems the paperwork hasn't caught up the the revised scope.

There wasn;t any documantion of note, with specs, etc, on the old scope either <_<

Not really forthcoming on the data, is Millett.

I haven't mounted it on the AR yet, I may grab a set of Arms locally and mount it today. I was originally going to get some Burris Tactical rings with the picatinny top rail but now I'm not sure I need to mount my Jpoint on top.

Spaceghost, Ive got one of these coming in soon, is it a 30mm or 1" tube and about how big round is the eyepiece? I want to get rings for it soon, but there wasnt any of that info easily found.

• 2 years later...
Can anyone share how well the adjustment knobs on this thing work?

Ie if I dial it up or down a set number of clicks and then back will it return to the original zero?

Unless someone sees your post and decides to try it for grins, I think you'll be hard pressed to get a real answer for this one. The DMS-1 isn't a scope that you'll be boxing to test since it's a set it and forget it type of deal. I'm sure you could setup, remove the adjustment caps, and start trying to click around to compensate for windage/elevation, but there are much better options out there if that's what you want to do. The DMS is great for a low cost set it and forget it scope that does well at multiple ranges with its simple recticle, but if you are looking for it being a sniper scope of some type, then it just won't fit the bill.

Edited by kwrangln

• 2 years later...

Anyone shooting this scope if so what range did you sight it in at

I've got mine sighted in at 50 yards and I'm pretty good out to 200 yards. If you've not purchased it yet, save up the extra hundred and pick up the Burris Tac30. Well worth the extra money.

I had one a few years ago on a 458 SOCOM. It held up to the recoil fine. I wouldn't really recommend them though. They are big and heavy. The eye relief is long so you need something like a LaRue SPR-E mount (which costs as much as the scope). The power adjustment is VERY stiff. Even with a Cat Tail I think it would take at least 2 seconds to go from 1-x4 or back. The illumination wasnt bad, but the glass wasn't all that clear and the FOV seemed small.

Having played with a TAC30, I think the extra $80 or so is well spent on it.

Just my opinion.

Anyone shooting this scope if so what range did you sight it in at

I have one I like pretty well. I sighted in at 50, which is of course, pretty darn close at 200.

Shot a rifle side match today. Two strings, first one, I shot very middle of the group, around 26 seconds plus two seconds penalties for two C hits. Four paper targets(2 hits each) at pistol range, then 7 steel out about 85-90yds. Second run, got 'er dialed in about right, ran 16 seconds with one C hit. The scope sure didn't hold me back. With the first & second string added together, I came in third out of maybe 14? shooters. The dot in a donut is pretty fast. I am no "great" AR shooter but today, things worked pretty well.

All that said, I am replacing it with a Burris 1.5-6 because some of the matches I like to shoot, we reach on out to 500 or so. The 1-4 just won't cut it for me at that range. If you never shoot over 300, or not much over, I would say the DMS is very nice. Over 400, you just need more magnification.

MLM

I've had a DMS for a couple of years. Let me say that I DO NOT recommend this scope. Like Cap said, spend a few more bucks and get a TAC-30. MUCH better scope,imho. I'll give a short evaluation.

First, on the plus side:

- I do like the doughnut reticle.

- The adjustments seem solid and precise.

- It seems to maintain zero well.

- Seems to be true 1x (or close to it) on the low end.

- Built like a tank!

So, for what it is, it's a solid scope. But I don't consider it to be a value. Here are the cons:

- Built like a tank! But who wants a tank on top of their rifle? In other words, it's too heavy.

- It feels like looking through a cardboard tube. There is a large black ring around the image and it gives the impression of not having a very wide FOV and blocking out much of the target area.

- Very critical eye box. Your eye needs to be in just the right place or you lose your image, especially on 4x. This is important! It can really slow you down when trying to acquire a sight picture and the clock is running!

- Illumination is not daylight visible, at least not on mine. I don't think this is terribly important, though, since the black reticle is fine in daylight.

- Made in China!

There are other scopes for near the same $ with better optics. For $150 (sometimes on sale for $130) the Weaver 1-3x is a better value, imho. It doesn't have illumination or a fancy reticle, but is has better optics, true 1x, and better FOV.

I recently bought a Burris Fullfield 2-7x (on sale at Optics Planet for $130) that I put on a 3-gun rifle, and I'm pairing it with metallic sights mounted at 1:30. Not sure how well this is going to work, but I'll give it a try this year. That inexpensive scope has excellent optics, though.

I've had 2 of them for a few years now. My biggest complaint is the need to position the eye almost perfectly for fast shots.

The ( eye box ) as one guy put it is pretty tight. I havent been able to shoot at all lately due to work, but when I did practice

it wasnt too bad because I dry fired alot. Muscle memory helps out with that issue.

Having said all that, I also have an MTAC. And I like it better.A little shorter and lighter. And I believe about $100 more.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with mine as everyone else is discribing. I have been shooting local carbine matches so we arent shooting out past 200 yards. It was tough shooting 6"plates with it. The illuminated reticle cannot be seen during the day and causes a blurr when hunting at night. Getting on target fast is tough at times. I am thinking of trying the Nikon P-223 or the Vortex Strikeforce.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :surprise:

Ive got one one my rifle and I like it. Its inexpensive, and durable based on what Ive put it through so far. Illumination is just so so in bright conditions. The reticle is probably what I like about it the most compared to other things Ive tried. The Burris Tac30 reticle comes to mind...I cant stand it. Side by side its about and inch longer than the tac30, but couldnt tell you a weight difference.

I have used a DMS-1 for 3 years now in 3-gun and have ran a couple hundred shooters as a RO, most if not all of them never turn on the electronics in these scopes. I am not sure if I every did use IR on mine in a match, but it is great for coyotes in early mornings. For a 200 dollar scope(form www.SWFA.com)is is worth every cent, but can not be compared to more expensive that also worth every cent they cost. Look through as many as you can and if you like it go for it.

I saw it at a local Tactical Rifle match - I was very impressed.

Is the entire donut is illuminated? Was it bright in daylight viewing?

I have one of these.. the donut (I think) is etched in the glass, if I'm not mistaken, and yes, the entire donut lights red and yes, it is very bright in daylight viewing.

If you have any other questions, let me know.