Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection And Full Brim Hats

KevinB

Does anyone know of a good set of muffs that will either fit under a hat or be able to have the band around the back of the head and still actually work and stay put?

I'm out a lot and I use a sombrero type hat to keep the sun off of me without having to goop up with sunscreen every time I step out the door.

Kevin

EAR soft blasts work pretty well NRR of 33.

no hat issues.

If that's too quite for voide, get some peltor behind the head amplified muffs to go with. Turns up the voices and quiets the guns when combined with the plugs.

I prefer sombrero type hats, but just can't wear them with the hearing protection I like (plugs under electronic muffs). So I use a nylon French Foreign Legion type (flap) hat with some success. Just have to put the sunsreen on the front of the neck and part of the face.

legion2.jpg

I like to use plugs and muffs when shooting open. I usually wear a big floppy hat since I'm so fair skinned. I'll keep ear plugs in and when it's my turn to shoot, I'll but on the baseball cap and muffs. I bought a fishing hat the other day at Cabelas and it's basically a cap with a wide flap on the back. I think muffs will work, sitting over the flaps when I shoot, but I haven't tried it yet. It would be nice to not have to change hats.

I use my regular plugs with Peltor 6's under a larger boonie for rainy days. My wide brim summer hat holds muffs under it too. Not too GQ for those fashion nazis but they're my ears and my head. AAMOF, during the winter when it's raining I'll wear a fleece beret under my boonie with the Peltors on and it still works. I've never had anyone, not a soul comment on my comfort preference in the last 6 yrs so I doubt anyone really cares( I sure don't).

Racine