Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge Vs. Custom Limited Gun

galt11

As another poster stated we shoot at enormous targets.

And that same poster stated that Flex's point about the gun needing to fit you was also required.... ;) If it don't fit, it ain't gonna work....

Holy freakin crap. :angry:

You all have email accounts right?

Use them for this back and forth BS...not this forum.

Feel free to take a break from these forums for about a week and use that time to contemplate what Brian's Forum is about.

Read the rules for posting while you are at it.

CLOSED.

Good topic of discussion.

I went through the same questions when looking for a limited gun.

Used would be cheaper, but face the worry of inheriting someone elses problems.

New Edge would be nice and you would have about a 98% chance getting a great weapon.

Decided to go with a Benny Hill 6" Fat Free. I knew I only wanted to go through this once and I wanted to make sure and get it right the first time. I made the right choice for me.

It seems that if you make the wrong choice, you wind up spending more than if you get what you really want from the start. Give a good gunsmith a call and talk to him. You may be surprised at how inexpensive custom can be.

Adam,

if you're sure you know what you want --- and that you'll want that for a long time --- then by all means have it custom built to spec. If you're not sure whether you want a wide and heavy gun, or a light and narrow one, a 5" or a 6" fat free, then I'd recommend buying used. Shoot something for a year, sell it and buy something else, repeat.....

When you know --- that's when you have your gun built.....

Adam,

if you're sure you know what you want --- and that you'll want that for a long time --- then by all means have it custom built to spec. If you're not sure whether you want a wide and heavy gun, or a light and narrow one, a 5" or a 6" fat free, then I'd recommend buying used. Shoot something for a year, sell it and buy something else, repeat.....

When you know --- that's when you have your gun built.....

Nik

Great point.

When I started 2 years ago, I would not have ordered the same gun I will now order when my current Limited BLASTER sells.

Only shooting and developing a style, along with personal likes and dislikes, which over time have allowed me to make the choices that I now prefer.

One of the great things about a quality gun is that it holds its value really well, so buy one, shoot for a year or two, and figure out exactly what you want. Selling the original will not cost you much at all, and NOW you have a better understanding of how you want to configure that Custom Blaster.

I am just curious about the general consensus out in the ether, what would you all describe as the differences between a stock STI Edge and a custom built limited gun from somewhere like EGW, Brazos, Etc.? Are the differences that great it is worth the longer wait times and price increase. I know the one big thing is being able to customize what parts are used, but other than that, what else? Thanks.

Adam

I spoke to my smith on Monday (I am also having the same dilemma) his responds was simple. He said that an S-I will work just fine for me and they are grate guns. But a custom will work, look, and last longer. So this gives us only tree choices.

A. Get a custom

B. S_T and later have it rebuilt

C. Get something cheap for now and save for A or B

I am just curious about the general consensus out in the ether, what would you all describe as the differences between a stock STI Edge and a custom built limited gun from somewhere like EGW, Brazos, Etc.? Are the differences that great it is worth the longer wait times and price increase. I know the one big thing is being able to customize what parts are used, but other than that, what else? Thanks.

Adam

I spoke to my smith on Monday (I am also having the same dilemma) his responds was simple. He said that an S-I will work just fine for me and they are grate guns. But a custom will work, look, and last longer. So this gives us only tree choices.

A. Get a custom

B. S_T and later have it rebuilt

C. Get something cheap for now and save for A or B

ONLY 3 choices? Is this a great country or what. Most places have little or no choice.-------Larry

After shooting a Springfield Loaded 1911A1 in L-10 and limited for 3 years I just bought a Edge from Brazos with their performance package.

I'm impatient, and really couldn't afford a full custom gun with the extra expense of the holster rig and reloading equipment and components.

I only have 200 rounds though my edge, but it is amazing. Shooting rounds loaded to the same PF as my 1911 45acp, it is amazing the difference in felt recoil.

Get the best you can afford, I decided to go with new semi stock vs used. I simply want to know for sure what I'm paying 2K for.

I wonder if I'm the only one who finds a bit of irony in this Edge/tuned Edge versus full custom thread. There was a time that a gun that looked like an Edge would have BEEN the penultimate custom gun...I guess 1984 (that's when I started) was a LONG time ago.

That said, I'd have to agree with Xre about getting something that works and spending the rest on ammo and instruction. I think it was Ross Seyfried who opined he was much more concerned at a match about the competitor with the well worn rig who'd spent his last thousand gunstuff bucks...on primers.

Also coming from the band of shooters in our sport who are inveterate tinkerers...even a full custom is just a more advanced starting point for carving on this or grinding and polishing on that, or poking more holes here and trying this other thing there...for us a custom gun is NEVER finished. Must explain why I have seven 1911 pattern guns, of which only three are working right now and the Dawson Edge only 'cause I just got it.

I'd even wait like some others have suggested until you really know your shooting style and preferences. That's when you'll be able to communicate to your 'smith of choice what to put in (and what to leave out) of a full custom that really works for you. 'Course over the time it takes to get it built your preferences might change but should less the more mature you are as a shooter.

And there is the chance that what is full custom today will be a factory standard or even obsolete down the road...where will all our projectile guns be when energy blasters are developed?

I am going to post to bring both of your topics to the top of the board. You have an expensive choice to make. It is both fun and frustrating....good luck. Unfortunately you are most likely not going to know what you want until you have shot a while. It took me a year before I knew I needed to upgrade my gun or buy a new one....I was starting to out run the trigger on close and fast stuff. But that problem could have been fixed with $250 of parts and some slide lightening if I wanted too. Oh and I have been beaten by many a beater (some look like the were tied to the bumper on the way to the match. :huh:

My dad ordered himself an edge from sti. it has not run right since day one. actually he has stopped shooting it all together. but he spent the money for a custom limited gun for me and i have yet to have a malfunction coming up on 20K rounds. i would go with a custom gun anyday over a factory because of the fit and it is built to your standards.

shane coley