Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen Kite Flying

carinab

Kite Flying Champ

Someone sent me this link and I was awestruck by the grace and beauty of kite flying. I wouldn't have guessed but I imagine that kite flying is a very zen activity. Your actions, not your thoughts, control what the kite does. By the time you think, I want to move the left kite to theleft, the wind will already be pushing it elsewhere. The accompanying operatic music suits the activity. Even the landing was graceful. I would bet an interview of the individual in this vid would yield many a zen-like quote. I wish the cameraman would have shown more of the kite flyer along with the kites.

Uh....I seem to be zen challeneged today....you'll need to cut and paste the url above....Ah, nevermind...got it.

Edited by carinab

Wow! Very cool. I love flying kites, but I never even dreamed of doing that...I'll have to show it to my daughter--she's crazy about kites.

My zen approach would probably be:

"and zen, I crashed zee kite into zee beach"...

:D

Thanks for the link.

Troy

Let me recommend this, if you live in a relatively windy area:

http://www.seattleairgear.com/

Actually, let me recommend getting a low-end delta kite first, and THEN getting a WindDance. It's a little up the learning curve, but the sheer speed is breathtaking. Your mind literally cannot keep up with the kite until you go completely reactive. It took me a while, but your body eventually stops thinking "pull the handle and turn the kite and stop the turn to go up or we're going to crash", you just will it upwards and memory takes over.

The big deltas are slower and more precise, and work for stalls, low wind tricks, etc., but for sheer KITE! the WindDance is awesome.

H.

• 1 month later...

That's a great example of excellence.

I love excellence.

I could write a damn book about the analogies between that and shooting or cornering a motorcycle or running a business or lifting more weight or overcoming addiction or being a better person or running with knee pain or training a dog or dry firing or...

I love excellence.