Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need One Powder For 2 Different Calibers.

morebullets

Lots of load data here for both minor and major loads in your 2 calibers.

Titegroup should be fine for plinking. It's maybe not the cleanest powder in the world,

but it's cheap and available darned near everywhere.

Others that would work:

Bullseye

Unique

Red Dot

Accurate #5

And a BUNCH of others.

Ok, I'm going to color outside the lines here. :blink: I load v.v. 3n37 powder for 9, 40, & 45. It is very clean, meters well, has decent volume, & isn't particularly temperature sensitive. Of course, it costs a lot more & can be hard to find. I just load up on it when I get the chance. I'm down to about 25lbs right now. :o It is really nice powder but Titegroup works well for lots of folks. MLM

Ok, I'm going to color outside the lines here. :blink: I load v.v. 3n37 powder for 9, 40, & 45. It is very clean, meters well, has decent volume, & isn't particularly temperature sensitive. Of course, it costs a lot more & can be hard to find. I just load up on it when I get the chance. I'm down to about 25lbs right now. :o It is really nice powder but Titegroup works well for lots of folks. MLM

Ronnie,

3N37 runs awesome in .38 Super too.

Rich

Another vote for TG. If you have access to a shotgun club, then Solo 1000 will work for you too and there are major 40 factory data for it too.

3N37 is top quality stuff and will even push 9mm to Major. Harder to find these days, and a lot more money - for plinking that is.

I like 3n37, but its so pricey and hard to get for me that i only use it in major 9mm match ammo...nothing else.

Im sure it would work great at minor and for major 40...but there are others that will work well also.

kinda like putting 113 octane race gas in your generator at the race track cuz you dont want to buy 87 octane gas and have to keep two seperate cans..

Yes the generator runs fine on the expensive stuff, but will work just as well with the cheaper.

Harmon

I shot my M&P 9mm and my Glock 22. No need to wory about one powder for two different calibers, I'm not going to shoot the Glock much any more. I like the M&P better. I got it the first week of January and I have shot about 1000 rounds through it so far. I also have a Beretta Storm and a Kahr K9 in 9mm.

BTW, how clean is WSF in a 9mm?

Edited by morebullets

I shot WSF in those older 180 PF .40s about ten years ago. WSF is pretty much like WAP (no longer available) but cleaner. It's a boomer. It wasn't too dirty in the .40 but wasn't the best choice for major .40 the way we shoot. I switched to N320 and never went back...

In 9 for higher velocity loads it may be good stuff but there are better powders for 9 major!

I know this is blasphemy, but I gotta say Good old boring W231....... :)

I shot a one hole group tonight at 20yds with a 95gr jhp that I thought was completely missing the target. I walked down and saw the bullet marks on the paper plate that showed the slightly elongated hole.... ;) I stopped at 4 rounds.....

I like VV 320, but for the price and volume shooting , it is hard to beat W 231, and it makes really accurate ammo too, if you like that sort of thang.....

Regards,

DougC

If I remember the 80s correctly, 231 was temperature sensative in cold weather.

Wait, Doug, you're in Iowa. Go outside and chrono for us!

I'll be in Minnesota this weekend and will chrono at -20 for you...................NOT!

Ahem..... ;) These are steel loads, and yes, there is no way in HELL I am going outside to chrono..... :ph34r: That is why we have the light attachment for the chrono.....

You know, W 231 will vary due to temp, but I would love to know how many of these Stories of Folklore were shooters that had a PF of 176-178 and then bitched when they didnt make it at 175?????? I really dont think that it is as big a problem as it was made out to be, except that a lot of people didnt load their ammo with enough cushion. I have friends that were shooting in the "old days" still loading W 231 to major and in Iowa weather.....100degrees down to under zero......they have chronoed their loads and make major, but they load over 170PF too.....I see this all the time now at 165PF, and people being people, I would suspect that is still going on.......<still loading ammo to 173-175PF mode off>

DougC

Edited by DougC

Until Clays became popular, I think most of us tried 231 under a 200 grain SWC for .45. It was THE load for the 80s until the Super came around. I used it a bunch in 9mm with 115s and 147s in the 90s. I never noticed any substantial loss of velocity due to temperature like I was told....?