Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

OK something weird just happened. When I came home from Nationals last year I lost my black ball cap and my form fitted ear plugs. I was real sad about it but bought a new cap and I've been using wax ear plugs. I just found the hat and the ear plugs! I think it's weird that I found those items the first official day of Limited Nationals training. :surprise:

Illinois was OK. Results aren't posted yet. I'm on my way out the door to go to the water park with the family so I don't have time for details. I'll give details later. I feel like I gave an OK performance. I regressed on some mental things which disappointed me but I'll talk about that later. XRE you'd be proud of me...I visited the port a pottie after each stage. :D So at least I did the hydration and nutrition thing right.

More later...water park fun awaits!

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. From the IL sectional results.....looks like you are 1st C Open and High Lady Open. 13th overall.....pretty darn good.

Damn, girl! Nice job!!! :D All that work is paying off ;)

:cheers: to the entire Ball family looks like

1st c open high lady for Jane

2nd B limited for Dave

1st C limited for Jackson

and uncle Coach pulled off a 2nd C L10

Ok Dave from now I want you to load my ammo!!! :rolleyes:

Nice job guys

:D:D:D:D:D

Way to go!!!!!!

Will be good to see you at Tulsa, keep your head up it'll be a little tough changing over (this coming from the guy who doesn't shoot the same type gun more than a month now).

Hop

THANKS EVERYBODY!

We just returned from 3 days in Holiday World (water/amusement park). We wanted to spend some time with the family, camp, and have some fun before school starts :D We just checked the Illinois scores. I found an error in my score. Too bad I was camping without internet access to correct it. ;) I think we are going to have to get wireless internet for Dave's phone so we can: check shooting scores anytime we want, figure out our classifer score using the Ohio Calculator the instant we shoot it at a match, and OFCOURSE be able to check the CUB score from anywhere in the United States. We are so barbaric...how can we live without such a necessity!!

Anyway, making the correction in score it looks like I would come in 11th overall in open, and finish 2nd B class. Yep I said B. I got my B card in the mail this month. There were 6 Master Open shooters in the group. I shot 72.14% of the winner.

Emotionally I'm a little "ho hum" about the match. It had some oddly timed devices that I didn't quite master which got in the way of my "flow". I'm glad they had those things because I needed experience shooting oddly timed stuff. Perhaps it wasn't oddly timed. Perhaps it was I didn't have enough perspective of what I needed to do to be the most efficient at shooting it. Either way it was good experience. ;)

I'm going to tell a story. I don't have enough grace NOT to tell it but perhaps I have enough grace to tell it gracefully. I got involved in some drama that I SHOULD NOT have gotten involved in. I know better and usually I push my husband at problems like this and I stay out of it but this time I was an IDIOT! The incident cost me some emotional energy that left me wanting while shooting stage 3. I wasn't myself behind the gun on stage 3. I'm not sure I could have shot a better score if this thing didn't happen, but it robbed me the emotional thrill I get when I'm totally THERE when shooting. OK here is the story...

Published in the match book all squads would be rotating in a counter clockwise manner. This meant that we started on stage 4 and then would shoot stage 3, then 2, then 1, then 10, then 9 etc. For some this seemed odd. After shooting stage 4 (our first stage) our squad moved to stage 3 with the exception of two gentlemen who came up to ME and asked why we were on stage 3 when we should be on stage 5. I tried to politely explain that we were following the match book and this is where we should be. We briefly looked at the match book together and then the two gentlemen dashed off to stage 5. A few minutes passed and one of the gentlemen came back and asked me in an irritated fashion "Did'nt YOU tell everyone that we should be on stage 5! The RO's are waiting for us to shoot over there!" He then dashed back over to stage 5. HERE IS WHERE I MADE MY MISTAKE!!! I felt sorry for them. I took my match book with me and went over to stage 5 and tried to explain AGAIN why we were on stage 3. I just put myself into a situation where THE WOMAN (me) is telling THE MAN (them) what to do AND I AM RIGHT. It has been my observation that most men don't like to be told what to do by either a male or female but certainly the later is worse. I insisted the Range Master be called to clear up the situation. He was contacted twice about the issue and it was finally resolved. We went back to stage 3 and I was the second shooter up.

Why do I tell that story? Oh there are so many reasons. Let me just begin with this one. I'M NOT YO'MOMMA!! Just because I'm female does not mean I'm there to take care of you. As a woman in a man's sport this is a hard thing. When I first started out I really worried how I was being perceived. I've come to the conclusion there is NO WAY to win on this issue. As a woman in this sport you are going to get labeled whether fair or not. I'm quite sure the two gentleman I was dealing with have a label for me and I'm pretty sure it will begin with the letter "B"! This whole incident was a mental regression for me because I cared about what these men thought of me! I'm an IDIOT!! So since I've somewhat slipped down my "mountain" let me tell you how it is going to be from here on out at MAJOR matches. I will be aloof, distant, and quiet. I'm probably not going to talk to you if you're in my squad. You can think what you want but I'm DONE caring what you all think and I'M DONE trying to help you all. In summary....I'm not yo'momma!

I feel so cleansed now.

The Open gun is locked up. I think it has given me what I needed. I've got some thoughts on my transition to limited that I will share later. I've had several days to think...so I've got several days of posting that needs to be done. It's all good.

B Card! B Card! B Card!!!! I remember when I got mine! :D Sweet! Very very happy for, and proud of you, Jane!!!!

As far as the other thing goes, you know what? F*** 'em (pardon my French). If they can't follow a squad schedule, that's their problem.... Sorry it tainted your run on 3 - but glad that it exposed another bit of how to possibly improve on your mind game for you :)

So, I'm a little bit confused - referring to when you got the B card as "this month", does that mean today, or does that mean in July? If July, did that happen before or after the match? I know this is just *my* confusion :D I'm trying to figure out how you shot in C for the match, but got your B card in the same month... :D

And, I take it the error was not in your favor (ie, you finished worse in the match because of it)??? I've had a couple of errors in my scores lately... in the other direction... Definitely pays to double check 'em and make sure they're the score you shot, either way. The last one, I didn't catch at the (local) match, and even though it doesn't change the overall standings of the match, I'm still a bit bugged that I got off w/o the two penalties that weren't scored against me <_<

B Card! B Card! B Card!!!! I remember when I got mine! :D Sweet! Very very happy for, and proud of you, Jane!!!!

As far as the other thing goes, you know what? F*** 'em (pardon my French). If they can't follow a squad schedule, that's their problem.... Sorry it tainted your run on 3 - but glad that it exposed another bit of how to possibly improve on your mind game for you :)

So, I'm a little bit confused - referring to when you got the B card as "this month", does that mean today, or does that mean in July? If July, did that happen before or after the match? I know this is just *my* confusion :D I'm trying to figure out how you shot in C for the match, but got your B card in the same month... :D

And, I take it the error was not in your favor (ie, you finished worse in the match because of it)??? I've had a couple of errors in my scores lately... in the other direction... Definitely pays to double check 'em and make sure they're the score you shot, either way. The last one, I didn't catch at the (local) match, and even though it doesn't change the overall standings of the match, I'm still a bit bugged that I got off w/o the two penalties that weren't scored against me <_<

Yes I got my B card this month (July) The match had a "self" check in. Honestly, I didn't even think to change it. Many matches will run a computer classification update on all competitors in the match. I was surprised they didn't do this. Also..cause I'm sure you are going to wonder. I DID have all my hit factors calculated before I left the match. BUT no scores were posted so I could check. By the time scores were posted on the internet...I was sitting in a lawn chair around a camp fire. :)

I got scored for 2 mikes on a stage that I didn't do. With those 2 mikes they had me finishing 14th and shooting 69.33%. I helped with scoring at the Indiana match and it really is a hard job!!! We had some errors of our own. My hat goes off to ALL who month after month put in scores and get'em out for the shooters to see. THANK YOU score keepers!!

Well color my horse RED Jane is now a CERTFIED B class Open shooter !!!!! :bow::bow:

Just don't pick up a Revolver until I'm ready to retire :goof:

I know just how you feel on the two guys, it isn't a gender thing. It is a personality thing........ I have to really keep my nose out of stuff like that or I get sucked in too. Because I always want to help and sometimes it gets in the way of my shooting. You'll get to where it doesn't bother you one way or the other.

Be looking for you at Nationals, See you and the rest of the crew there.

Hop

Congrats on your B-card. Jane Ball - The Hardest Working Woman in Practical Shooting

So...since the Open gun is locked up, I think you should bring your newly tuned iron sighted blaster up to Brookston on Saturday for a proper re-introduction to your front and rear sight. Come on - you know you want to!

Congrats on your B-card. Jane Ball - The Hardest Working Woman in Practical Shooting

So...since the Open gun is locked up, I think you should bring your newly tuned iron sighted blaster up to Brookston on Saturday for a proper re-introduction to your front and rear sight. Come on - you know you want to!

I always want to Big Dave...but sometimes restraint is the more wise choice. Balance is key right now because my time is so limited. I need Saturday to work alone on the range so I can get comfortable with my gun again. ;) Next year I think NRA will be in the regular rotation. We all enjoyed shooting it and I will miss you all on Saturday. Thanks for the invite. :D

The hubby changed my loading press over to 40 today. He also put my old rough cut grip on my newly tuned gun with the long flat trigger. The only thing left to do is put scotch tape on my glasses and my shooting gloves on and go to work. Yep I'm putting the gloves back on because I know it works. I'm planning on shooting a few rounds down rage in the morning just to get the feel for it and then tomorrow night is league night. The game from here on out is mental. I think I've got a strong enough "head" to hang on. We will see.

Jane,

Don't let the BS impact you any more than it has to.

Do what you know is right. Let go of it after that.

This match was big. Well shot, along with the confidence of becoming a B shooter. Celebrate that. Forget the other stuff. And, make no excuses. You've worked too hard for excuses.

Sam wrote a post once "time will cease to exist, and there is only the shooting"

I strive to achieve that, as we all do. When the buzzer goes off, that is all there is. Be there, no where else. Enjoy the social components of the sport (this forum is evidence on how great that is). And when the "beep" sounds punch 'A's' quickly. I've done the whole alienate myself from the squad at majors deal. Trust me - it doesn't work either. Treat the issues as barricades on a stage. Simply a distraction from the shooting. When you realize that, you're golden.

Congratulations on making "B"!!! It is a major accomplishment. Unfortunately it won't last long. "A" lingers around the corner, and she is impatient!

J

Thanks for the advice Jack. :)

I recently had a birthday. You may remember what I really wanted was to shoot with reckless abandon. I used the example of my youngest son tubing on the lake. I got what I wanted. I've tasted what it is like to shoot totally released and without fear. The third stage on the video is where it all came together. Stage 3 was my birthday present. The first stage Bang and Clang is where I had the .12 split and 2 alpha's. The video was taken by my brother with his digital camera so the quality is a little poor.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=12...42894&hl=en

The Big Bang Theory

I told you it was mostly mental from here on out. Here is what I did to trick myself. Yesterday I took out my .38 special purse gun with a GAZILLION pound trigger pull (greater than 8 lbs!!!) and shot 50 rounds. Then I picked up my limited gun and shot 200 rounds. VOILA! My limited gun felt so light in my hand and the trigger absolutely delightful. Imagine that. Perception is everything. Hey Hoppy...I kind of like shooting a revolver :rolleyes:

Here's what I learned from shooting the .38 special. If I want to shoot someone in the chest....I need to aim for the groin. If I aim for the chest they are going to get it in the head. That's a handy piece of information. This ofcourse is from about 10 yards....I know that gun is meant to shoot up close but it was fun to see what I could do. I got better the more I shot it. I think I'll do some more practicing with it ;)

League night went as expected. I had trouble with 20-25 yard targets. I'm not seeing what I need to see. Which I will fix with more rounds down range. I'll shoot in a match tomorrow. I'm not quite sure what my goal should be for that match.(?) Probably should continue with shooting what I can see. I need to get my vision back with this gun. It will come.

Jane,

Step AWAY from the REVOLVER !!!!!!

It has all kinds of addiction inside of it, I'm warning you. :P

On the first match back with the LTD gun, just concentrate on the sights..............Kind of like any other time you shoot !!! ;) It'll be fine!!!!

Guess what I did on my first match back to the Ltd gun after 2 years solid on the wheelgun???

Was High limited for the monthly match I shot, AND shot a 89% on that classifier pushed my Limited average to 85.4%.......WELCOME to "M" class (after being out of LTD for 2 years) <_<

On a more serious note, when you get ready to start waxing all the Indiana shooters butt with a wheelgun, you let me know. :cheers:

Hop

Goal for South Central should be easy. Win Limited.

Yep, just pick up my limited gun and go down to Seymour and kick some butt. It sounds so easy. :lol:

You DO RECALL my 20-22 yard targets from last night????? :sick:

I already know what you are going to say to me...and I deserve to hear my own words....it's all a state of mind.

**BE'ers RLP is the guy I refer to as "Coach" in my diary. He is my training partner. He and my husband keep me on track ;)

Hoppy...I hope I do as well as you did. But I think your advice about focusing on the sights is probably the most realistic. Thanks.

If magazines working in a strange gun is mental, and if ammo feeding correctly without a trial run is mental; then hitting 20-25 yard shots must also be mental.

Last night was practice and so it does not much matter if you learned from it. Tomorrow is the competition.

If magazines working in a strange gun is mental, and if ammo feeding correctly without a trial run is mental; then hitting 20-25 yard shots must also be mental.

Last night was practice and so it does not much matter if you learned from it. Tomorrow is the competition.

See :surprise: I knew that was coming!!

The Coach is referring to the Illinois State match. His gun broke and I insisted that he shoot my newly tuned up limited gun. He had a lot of unknowns to deal with and I kept insisting that it was all mental....the gun would run...just shoot it. He did really well with a borrowed gun. ;) He kicked my open class butt on Stage 5! :unsure:

I've just returned from a Spa day with my sisters. I was coated in mud and then wrapped in plastic wrap and foil much like a ham sandwich in a lunch box. While I was laying there in the darkly lit room with funny music I was thinking what I most needed to be ready for Nationals. It comes down to 2 things. I need to be able to see and I need to be able to control the gun. I've got to get my vision back using an iron sight and I've got to get recoil control again. When I get those two things back I will be competitive.

The results of yesterdays match are not up yet. I'm pretty sure my husband and Coach beat me, but I know when I'm able to see again and have some control I'll be right there with them. If I'm lucky I might be able to inch a little ahead.

I have a reason to win Nationals.

Winning has never really been my goal. I'm more of a peak performance do the best you can and see what happens kind of girl. BUT there is something brewing that is bigger than myself and I must go after it with ALL that I am. Therefore, I'm going to pursue that goal with all of the mental, physical and spiritual power within me. This is part of my journey. To pursue this with reckless abandon will be my greatest triumph. When this is all over (after Nationals) I will explain it to you win or lose.

I've made a big splashy announcement. For some this would be a tremendous mental risk. You're just going to have to trust that I know myself and I know what I'm doing. I know very little about shooting but I'm an EXPERT on me. ;)

I think I need to shoot a lot of rounds down range this week. I need to feel the gun and see the sight. Dry fire is good but right now I need A LOT of the real thing. So that's the plan for this week.

Edited by Calamity Jane