Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

I've got to figure out what I need to see before I leave that box. I'm seeing the mike, but I'm gone before I can fix it. In fact that is my problem...I see the mike, but I've moved on before I can fix it. I can see and shoot fast in the subconscious but if anything goes wrong I can't seem to react and fix it as quick as I need to. At least that is my perception. However, I always see what happened.

Well, you can always go back and pick up the hit. You make the choice to continue on, leaving the miss on the (or is that off?) the target... ;) If you see it, you make a choice (conscious or subconscious) to leave it...

That's OK - but the distinction is important...

I would suggest working this in practice, and adding emphasis here in your pre-stage visualization. You know that last shots departing a position, especially while leaning or moving, tend to get you. Make extra sure you visualize those hits on paper, including the sensation of the lean, etc. Play around with other methods of leaving, as well. Instead of "leaning" (which has a certain level of commitment to - you're leaving, one way or the other, and fixing mistakes requires that you get back into position, etc), try just picking up a foot, but not transferring your weight anywhere. Try adopting a "shoot on the move" and step out, but as a controlled shoot on the move type of thing, and not a "lean and fall over if you don't step" kind of thing. Practice it dry fire, too, even...

For me, the "lean" is really an advanced, agressive way to shoot while departing. Its a fine balance, and one that can be hard to judge under pressure...

Also, I've got another problem I need some help with. I'm not finishing matches. I've noticed this has become a habit with me. I let up mentally on the last stage. I know I do it. I try not to do it. But I'm still doing it. I'm not sure how to train this out of me??

Training may or may not be the answer. How's your energy level on that last stage? What are you thinking about? Can you still focus, if you need to, or are you physically or mentally (or emotionally) spent, at that poitn? Being tired or unable to focus (or unable to care) reflect several possible things - poor hydration, bad match nutrition (eating the wrong things or not enough of the right things), poor management of energy through the match (ie, you aren't pacing yourself well), lack of "down time" between shooting efforts (you need to learn to kick back and laugh and enjoy the day, and only "turn it on" when you need to - otherwise, you're spending energy there, too), etc. These are all things that you can fix without any real "training", per se - though they may take some gentle self reminders to get right.

Lack of focus due to wandering mind - maybe you're thinking about what you need to do when you get home, etc - those things are a class of mental error. Kubistant has a lot of info on that sort of thing in the book I suggested to you :)

Next time, go about your match as normal - shoot each stage one at a time, one shot at a time. When you get to the last stage, bear down, and remind yourself that the match is not over, yet. You still have work to do. Be sure you follow your normal routine on the last stage - same kind of stage walk through and prep, same pre-visualization, etc. And go give a solid effort. If you're flagging due to low energy, and such, realize that, too, and divert some of that last internal reserve into making it be a good performance.

I would appreciate it if someone would talk to me about this and encourage me. I need to know you guys are still out there. I fear I may have lost some of you speaking my mental mumbo jumbo. :rolleyes:

Nah... just no comments to make, not being lost :D

This stuff - lack of follow through on the last stage, etc - its all normal :) You can correct it - just try to be aware of what's going on with your energy and focus, and see what your body and mind are trying to tell you. Diagnose, correct for next time, etc.

I asked my hubby what he thought of my last post. He shrugged his shoulders and didn't say a word!!! Great I thought to myself. No one is "picking up what I'm laying down"! :unsure:

Well, David might be doing the "wise husband" thing :D No comment == no doghouse :D

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suprisingly, I have found myself checking your diary daily for updates. I doubt you've lost anyone. You definately haven't lost everyone :bow: .

I was very interested in your comments on a woman's self-image in this male dominated sport. Shooting is primarily seen in our society as a male endeavour, unfortunately, and I believe the problems derived from this to a woman's self image is a significant factor of the low percentages of women shooters. It's rare to see a woman shooter competing in USPSA of their own accord; no husband or father at the range with them. This is also an impact on the woman's self image. They become "so-in-so's wife" instead of their own person. This doesn't necessarily matter to every female shooter, but there can sometimes be an impact to their shooting because of it. I've seen this association slowly go away the longer the woman shoots.

IMHO, good female shooters are one of the best selling points of USPSA and we just plain have too few of them. It works to bring new shooters for both men and women . A woman seeing other women beating men is inspiring. A man seeing a woman beating men is challenging.

It may seem sexest, but name one man you have ever known who liked getting beat by a "girl". But, I'll be damned if at the same time that loss doesn't motivate. I shot a club match in CO and a very young woman showed up to the match. She was at the match alone, and I had never seen her before. I am still fairly new to USPSA. The results came out a couple of days later, and she pretty much kicked the snot out of me. I got curious. The circumstances were just too odd: Young female, alone, never seen before, and damn good. So, I started poking around on the internet, and came to find she was the only female shooter to win a national pistol shooting competition outright, Randi Rogers. I can't deny it motivated me to improve my shooting. I wonder sometimes if it's sexest of me to use this one event to motivate me to shoot better. Then again, would Randi Rogers be insulted she inspired someone? She wouldn't have motivate me by letting me win.

Living in CO most of my life, I've climbed a few mountains. The view from the summit is everything. One can always stop and enjoy the other sights on their way back down.

I took the photo from the top of Mt Antero, CO; 14,269 feet. We started at the bottom and did 13 1/2 miles. It was worth doing it the hard way, and not stopping till the top.

post-7549-1184540123.jpg

The view from the summit is everything.

Sticking with the climbing metaphor, I'll offer something slightly different than Mr. Friday :)

Sure, summitting is great - its the achievement of a goal, and marks a milestone on the path - perhaps the end of the path, in many ways. For me, though, the climb is the reward and is the worthwhile thing, not the summit at the end.

Achieving the goal is always a nice thing, but the longer I go on, the more I'm appreciating the journey more than achieving the goals. The journey is the learning, the gaining of wisdom and confidence and faith, and the proof to myself that I can do it, that I have the drive to make the things happen that I say I can do, and the growth.... If I never make the goal - but I truly experience those things along the way, does the goal really matter any more?

I've been reading a book - funnily enough, about mountain climbing - and the most recent chapter talks about this exact thing. Its kind of serendipitous... It isn't the summit or whether your reach it that matters - its the route you take along the way, and what that route teaches you about yourself ;)

Anyhow, just another thought... about mountains... :D

Thanks for the posts guys!

XRE...I think you're right about several things. I DO make a conscious choice to leave a missed target! Why do I do that? I'm going to have to think about that one. Your suggestion to try another way to get out of the box is valid. The "lean" is truly a commitment that can cost you in time if you have to go back and also can cost you points if you miss. I'm still going to try to get that skill but perhaps I need to explore other efficient ways to get out of the box.

I think I may have an energy management problem. On the last stage I still have focus it's just I don't execute with the intensity as the other stages. If my mind does wander it's ususally to what we are going to eat for lunch because I'm hungry. Hydration and nutrition throughout the match is something I've been lax on lately. That may be it. Next match I will manage this better and make a conscious effort to focus on the last stage.

SA Friday...Getting beat by a girl....yep no one wants that to happen to them. However, I would hope by now that the people I shoot with see me more as a shooter than a girl. They are trying to beat me now not because I'm a girl...but because I'm a good shooter. Or maybe not...maybe the girl thing will always be there for most people. Don't know...Don't care...because I've moved beyond it. :) There are many challenges that a lady faces in this sport. I usually share those challenges in the Hen House. Thank you for noticing that there are challenges. Your picture was beautiful...thank you. The top of the mountain is a beautiful place to be. The only problem with being on top is the only place left to go is down. ;)

I feel encouraged...thanks!

I'm still going to try to get that skill but perhaps I need to explore other efficient ways to get out of the box.

Totally still work on it. Its like having a toolbox. You can remove a lot of types of screws with a flathead screwdrive - but its usually better to use a Philips screwdriver for Philips head screws, etc. Having multiple "tools" allows you to pick the best one for the situation, based on your skills and abilities at the time.

Hydration and nutrition throughout the match is something I've been lax on lately. That may be it.

That's what it sounds like, to me - at least, that's the easiest place to start :) Catfish picked up on the same thing. Of course, it may be that we picked up on this because we've both been focused on the hydration/nutrition thing ourselves :) Hydration, I've got down, at this point. The good rule of thumb is that you should need to pee every hour, and it should come out relatively clear - if either of those isn't the case, you probably need to bump up the hydration. Nutrition is still something I have to remind myself about - otherwise, I get absorbed in managing the gear, running the stage, etc, and I overlook grabbing a couple bites of something to eat periodically, as well. I'm really keen on the Cliff Mojo bars, right now, for whatever that's worth...

The thing about hydration/nutrition is that you frequently won't notice that those are the problem until they've radically affected your performance ability. You'll feel flat or unfocused, but not thirsty or hungry - until you're really flat. So, staying ahead of hydration and nutrition becomes a pro-active practice - I think that's why I find the nutrition part of it challenging. I'm really not hungry, why am I eating again??? :)

I'm still going to try to get that skill but perhaps I need to explore other efficient ways to get out of the box.

Totally still work on it. Its like having a toolbox. You can remove a lot of types of screws with a flathead screwdrive - but its usually better to use a Philips screwdriver for Philips head screws, etc. Having multiple "tools" allows you to pick the best one for the situation, based on your skills and abilities at the time.

Hydration and nutrition throughout the match is something I've been lax on lately. That may be it.

That's what it sounds like, to me - at least, that's the easiest place to start :) Catfish picked up on the same thing. Of course, it may be that we picked up on this because we've both been focused on the hydration/nutrition thing ourselves :) Hydration, I've got down, at this point. The good rule of thumb is that you should need to pee every hour, and it should come out relatively clear - if either of those isn't the case, you probably need to bump up the hydration. Nutrition is still something I have to remind myself about - otherwise, I get absorbed in managing the gear, running the stage, etc, and I overlook grabbing a couple bites of something to eat periodically, as well. I'm really keen on the Cliff Mojo bars, right now, for whatever that's worth...

The thing about hydration/nutrition is that you frequently won't notice that those are the problem until they've radically affected your performance ability. You'll feel flat or unfocused, but not thirsty or hungry - until you're really flat. So, staying ahead of hydration and nutrition becomes a pro-active practice - I think that's why I find the nutrition part of it challenging. I'm really not hungry, why am I eating again??? :)

This is an example of a barrier for women shooters!!! We have to un-gun to go to the restroom. There is not always a safe table in the same area as the port-a-pottie. Viewing our pee to see if it is a clear :lol: The mental picture of me trying to do that in a port a pottie environment is making me laugh pretty hard right now. XRE it is great advice. It really is. You are spot on....just know that for women this is something that isn't always easy to manage. :) My brother and I had an idea to design shooting pants for women that has a zipper in the butt area. The concept is to "unzip and let it rip". :lol:

Hmmm, just reread my post. I can see where it was vague in places... Wrote it after 24+ hours of no sleep....

My point was this: I watched the vids, and you have potential. The more high-end female shooters we have the better for the everyone in USPSA. I think you can get to that level of shooting.

This is an example of a barrier for women shooters!!! We have to un-gun to go to the restroom. There is not always a safe table in the same area as the port-a-pottie. Viewing our pee to see if it is a clear :lol: The mental picture of me trying to do that in a port a pottie environment is making me laugh pretty hard right now. XRE it is great advice. It really is. You are spot on....just know that for women this is something that isn't always easy to manage. :)

Believe me... I'm well aware. Just giving you the "science" - can't really tell you how to apply it, unfortunately. ;) Actually, I realized that as I wrote, but there's not much I can do to change anatomy, so... :D

You can generally have an RO bag/unbag you, if a safe area isn't available, FWIW. And, ranges that don't have adequate safe areas should be "spoken to" - you should at least be able to find one on the way to the facilities, if not there by them. Lack of safe areas plagues a lot of ranges....

The concept is to "unzip and let it rip". :lol:

Oh I could just see the marketing campaign around that little idea :lol:

Hmmm, just reread my post. I can see where it was vague in places... Wrote it after 24+ hours of no sleep....

My point was this: I watched the vids, and you have potential. The more high-end female shooters we have the better for the everyone in USPSA. I think you can get to that level of shooting.

THANK YOU!! :D

The concept is to "unzip and let it rip". :lol:

Oh I could just see the marketing campaign around that little idea :lol:

Yeah, so do you want in? Just think of the selling opportunities. My brother and I will come up with the proto-type and you can do the marketing. :lol::lol:

Watch...somebody is going to steal this idea and make a million.

Just having some fun with you XRE. My inlaws are in town staying with me and I need a distraction. Nuff said. ;)

Thanks for sharing the story about John...

Thought I would share a story of my own about him. I haven't shot much in the last couple of years so I haven't seen him in a while, but I clearly remember my first impressions of him. Almost exactly 10 years ago John and I began working at the same company. It was a large hiring group for a major airline so hundreds of us were all new at the same time. As we all chatted and got to know each other a small number of firearm enthusiast started to form. We would stop and talk about recent purchases or good deals and stuff. When we realized that there was a growing number of us we started to investigate group buys. This is when I met Jane's brother John. We had several mutual friends but I had never talked to him personally. John or someone had found a good deal, but needed a fairly large purchase to make it worth while. I wanted in and John was the coordinator of this buy. For those that read this that haven't had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting me I'm basically 'Rudy' from the movie. "Five foot nothing a hundred and nothing" You get the idea . I have no idea of John's actual dimensions, but he towers over me both in height and girth! He was very organized and was ready to take payment and secure the order. The catch was because it was a serialized part each buyer had to go pick it up himself and of course do the call in background check. The small dealer that we used was a very interesting man to talk to. Tons of stories to tell, but he was older and getting kinda frail. John obviously cared a great deal about the well being and treatment of this gentleman and at the end of paying and getting directions to the gunshop he leaned down to me and said "The owner of this shop has been very good to us. He is older and does not need any hassle at all. I will not be amused if he is mistreated". It makes me laugh now, but I was very conscious of those words the first time I met that gunshop owner. Later I got the opportunity to broker a deal through the same gentleman and very much enjoyed the conversations we had. That time John was a member of the buying group and when I reminded him of the warning I got he just laughed. I remember being happy that he was amused!!! lol...

Thanks again for sharing your story Jane. Hope you enjoy mine and you and the big guy get a good laugh out of it...

Yeah, so do you want in? Just think of the selling opportunities. My brother and I will come up with the proto-type and you can do the marketing. :lol::lol:

As long as you star in the promotional video!! :D

My inlaws are in town staying with me and I need a distraction. Nuff said. ;)

Yeesh <_< Good luck w/ that action ;):D

Thanks for putting up with my humor! I needed a good laugh at that moment.

The inlaws pulled off the driveway at 0730 this morning. I'm sitting here contemplating what I will do with my LAST day of vacation. Tomorrow I head back to the cruel reality of work.

This month has been about the shooting. I haven't been doing a lot of dry fire or scheduled practices. I've been shooting league night and matches on the weekends. I'll be closing the month out with the Illinois State match July 29th. My limited gun is in route back to Indiana and should arrive any day. Approximately 7 weeks till limited nationals.

I feel like today is the day to throw the switch into Nationals Mode. I'm ready to begin my last part of training. I've been thinking about what would benefit me the most to work on these next few weeks. Movement seems to be my number one. Here's a list of the stuff I'm thinking about:

Movement

out of boxes

into boxes

the launch

gun up 3 steps out

Shooting on move

lateral

diagonal

backing up

Reloads

one step reloads on the move

Finish matches strong

hydration/nutrition

Seeing

continue to shoot what I see

bring what I learned from open gun to limited gun

see only the A zone

Honestly, I think focusing on those things will give me a pretty good performance. I want to step onto the playing field prepared.

I may need some help with my box movement. The video camera is broken right now but it is being fixed. My 14 year old accidently dropped it! OOPS! Once we get it back I'm going to post some video and see if I can get some pointers.

I've got an idea to use my driveway and the garage doors to work on movement. I'm thinking some side walk chalk to make some boxes on the driveway and using the square panes of the garage door as targets might be a quick solution to getting some movement work done. I figure I'll start by learning the "dance steps" without the gun...then progress to doing the dance steps with the gun (dry fire)...and then do it live fire.

I'm prepared for the transition back to the limited gun. My hubby told me I would have to slow down once I switched back. I told him that I would continue to shoot what I see. I probably won't see as quickly with the limited gun therefore the natural consequence may be slower splits...but I don't know that yet. I might be able to see quicker than what he or I think with the limited gun. The journey with the open gun has been good and I do believe that it is going to make me better...heck...it already has made me better!

So today begins the final push for the finish line. Intense dry fire begins today, work on movement begins today, and resuming the physical fitness regimen post vacation begins today!

I want to do what it takes to finish strong.

***3/4time: Yep my brother is a great guy that cares about others. We were at a match a couple weeks ago and he had an unopened can of diet A&W root beer in his hand. I asked if he had anymore? He said "No" and then handed me the root beer. I said "No" and then he insisted that I take it. He then got into the cooler and pulled out a Diet Pepsi for himself. :wub:

I've gotten much better about the drinking part of the hydration thing, since I acquired a Camelback. It really came down to availability for me --- if I'm R.O.ing, running the board, or taping/setting that doesn't leave as much time to remember to grab a drink --- having it always with me was the key. Now about snacking on something regularly.....

My 2 Babies

I didn't understand this until I had children but it is possible to love two very different things equally. I feel that way about my children and my guns. They are not alike but I love them both. I got my Limited gun back from Matt. The trigger as expected is SWEET! I haven't shot it yet but I did mess around a little with dry fire. The gun feels so freak'in light to me. Handling the open gun has certainly built my shooting muscles and posture. I was a little worried I wouldn't like the iron sights after becoming competent with the dot...but that's not the case. Those sights are like an old friend that I haven't seen in awhile. I love them both...differently....but equal. I'm anxious to shoot it and see what I can do. ;)

Steel Match

We shot a steel match today. My 12 year old son shot his first official match today and did great!! I can't say enough positive things about steel matches for those who are beginning to shoot. It's a great way to work on sight alignment and trigger pull which ofcourse are the fundamentals of shooting. The most positive thing I can say about my shooting is that I finished the last stage STRONG! My last stage was my best stage. I ate a good breakfast (oatmeal, peanut butter, milk) and then had an energy bar on the first stage. I drank 2 bottles of water while competing (5 stages). AND right before the last stage...just to be sure I had enough :);) ...I ate some oreo cookies for that quick glucose rush! I wasn't hungry at the end of the match so that is some progress. I also had a little adrenaline rush at the end because an RO gave me a call I didn't think was quite right on the previous stage. He gave me what I believed a bad call...and I gave him a "whatever"! We'll have to work it out over dinner tonight :P All in all it was a really fun match to shoot as a family.

The Lean

I've been messing around with the lean. I'm working on a "lunge lean" that I think might be good for my development right now. I've been trying to master the "topple lean" and not doing well. The topple lean is when you literally lean and fall out of the box. It requires total commitment and can really bite you in the hiney if you mess it up. The thing I'm working on now is more of a lunge lean that really gets your body moving in the right direction but keeps your feet commited to the ground. What I don't know is if it is faster than just the "load and launch" thing. I may be talking in code for some. When I get my video camera back it will all make more sense. I would like to go to the range tomorrow and do some of these moves with a stop watch and with a gun to see what works best.

Training Train

I've begun a dry fire marathon. It's (excuse the phrase) balls to the wall from here on out. (What would the female equivalent be to that phrase?? And come to think of it...what does that mean??) Anyway, you get the idea...FINISH STRONG!!

It's (excuse the phrase) balls to the wall from here on out. (What would the female equivalent be to that phrase?? And come to think of it...what does that mean??)

From Urban Dictionary:

To push to the limit, go all out, full speed.

A very colorful phrase, one needs to be careful when using "balls to the wall". Although its real origin is very benign, mos people assume it is a reference to testicles.

In fact it is from fighter planes. The "balls" are knobs atop the plane's throttle control. Pushing the throttle all the way forward, to the wall of the cockpit, is to apply full throttle.

So --- if this correct there wouldn't necessarily be a female equivalent......

It's (excuse the phrase) balls to the wall from here on out. (What would the female equivalent be to that phrase?? And come to think of it...what does that mean??)

From Urban Dictionary:

To push to the limit, go all out, full speed.

A very colorful phrase, one needs to be careful when using "balls to the wall". Although its real origin is very benign, mos people assume it is a reference to testicles.

In fact it is from fighter planes. The "balls" are knobs atop the plane's throttle control. Pushing the throttle all the way forward, to the wall of the cockpit, is to apply full throttle.

So --- if this correct there wouldn't necessarily be a female equivalent......

Thanks Nik! According to your urban dictionary I'm spot on. That is exactly what I wanted to say. :)

Anybody out there ever decide to date an ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend? It seems like a good idea until you take him/her out and then remember why you broke up in the first place. :surprise: Anyway, I shot my limited gun today. I remember why we broke up. The trigger is fantastic! My only complaint is the muzzle flip! It makes me INSANE to have to wait for the sight to come back down. (insert heavy sigh) It will be OK. I always whine and complain when I start shooting my limited gun after a long lay off. It will flatten out after I shoot it awhile. It irritates me that others can shoot a limited gun or single stack as fast as an open gun! <_< Told you I whine and complain (insert another heavy sigh) It will be OK.

I worked on the lean today. I thought I was going to go out there and do a science experiment with a timer but I changed my mind. I decided that before I got all caught up in the "time" I better learn the dance steps first. So I strictly worked on movement and technique without worrying about time. I watched SAUL KIRSCH 3GM DVD transition instruction. Saul instructs the lunge type lean. That seems to be working for me better. When you lunge and keep your center of gravity over that foot you can really get out there without losing your balance. The video camera is being shipped back so I'll be filming soon. I also worked on the last 3 steps as you enter a box. I only had 160 rounds to work with today.

I'm looking for a load for my limited gun. I what to use Vihta Vuori powder. I'm open to suggestions. Hey XRE..ever do a science experiment with loads for a limited gun??? Your Open gun data was awesome!

I've got a feeling I'm going to learn how to mess around with the Dillion 550. I think I want to continue to load my own rounds and I'm really motivated to monkey around with loads to get less muzzle flip. I wasn't too motivated to monkey around with the perfect N350 loads XRE gave me. But now.....(insert heavy sigh)....I'm motivated.

Last 7 days with my open gun. Open gun goes in lock up Sunday night after the Illinois State match. I feel sorry for the hubby and Coach. They are going to bear the brunt of my transition woes. I'm sure they would both accept sympathy PM's :P

Edited by Calamity Jane

Jane,

Not XRe, but here is my .40 load data-- STI Edge, loaded long to 1.200. Vihta N320, 4.9g, 180g JHP Zero bullet.

I made 171 with it at the Arkansas sectional and 169.5 with it at Area 4. I'm sure a couple other Vihta users will chime in shortly with more details as well. Hope that helps.

-Mike

My only complaint is the muzzle flip! It makes me INSANE to have to wait for the sight to come back down.

After shooting an Open gun, the iron sight guns seem to take about forever and a day to cycle, don't they??? :) The cool thing is, though - you're ready to shoot as soon as the gun is ;)

If you continue to shoot the Limited gun for a while, play with grip and stance a tad - you may find that you need a firmer grip than with the Open gun. And, once you're used to the timing, and have made any adjustments needed in grip, it will likely seem much flatter than it does now... Exactly as you say... :) I bet you're shooting it better now than you did before, too, once you get used to it again....

I'm looking for a load for my limited gun. I what to use Vihta Vuori powder. I'm open to suggestions. Hey XRE..ever do a science experiment with loads for a limited gun??? Your Open gun data was awesome!

I didn't go that far... but I did try out Titegroup, WST, and N320, with jacketed and with Precision Bullet moly coateds. The load I ended up going with at the time was a Precision 185gr moly coated bullet w/ N320. Depending on the temperature, I loaded 4.2-4.3 (summer time, 95+ degree heat, 170 PF) to 4.7 (winter time, 34 degrees, 166 PF). Loaded to 1.180", which feeds best in my gun. With a jacketed bullet in summer time, I needed around 4.9-5.0gr.

Titegroup is a little snappier, and burns HOT. No thanks. WST is marshmallow soft, but left unburned powder everywhere in my gun... and it seems to have a habit of being a tad touchy, resulting in blown cases...

So, N320 should be right up your alley. Pick a 180 or 185gr bullet for starters. Should be soft, clean, and accurate. You can tailor bullet weight to match the recoil profile you'd like, and also play w/ recoil springs. I run a 12# w/ no buffer in my gun, which is the right combo of speed, reliability, and flip for me. Several folks really like 200gr bullets, and that's an option I might consider in the future if/when I make it back to that gun ;)

I wasn't too motivated to monkey around with the perfect N350 loads XRE gave me. But now.....(insert heavy sigh)....I'm motivated.

Excellent! :) Glad you're feeling confident and motivated to stretch out a bit in that direction ;) You should have enough time with that gun under your belt to benefit from load development, at this point. Matt M might have some ideas for you on how to get flatter w/ that setup...

We have a few local shooters, including a Limited Division master, who are shooting the 200 gr. bullets in .40 to reduce muzzle lift. I switched from 115s to 147s in the 9 a few years ago, and recently discovered an old supply of loaded 115s. The 147s have less muzzle flip, but the whole cycle is slow and sluggish, the 115s are much snappier, but the impulse and muzzle lift seem to be over faster --- all of this is of course very subjective, but you may want to experiment with bullet weights from 165 to 200, to see what feels best, and what shoots most accurately. If you're going to do that, make enough ammo to not only be able to play in practice, but also to be able to shoot some matches with various bullet weights, as the feel is often different, when you're focusing on the stage, rather than on the load....

Jane,

Not XRe, but here is my .40 load data-- STI Edge, loaded long to 1.200. Vihta N320, 4.9g, 180g JHP Zero bullet.

I made 171 with it at the Arkansas sectional and 169.5 with it at Area 4. I'm sure a couple other Vihta users will chime in shortly with more details as well. Hope that helps.

-Mike

Yep...that's my load too with the exception I'm using Montana Gold bullets. Thanks for the input.

As my husband ALWAYS SAYS...it's not the load it's me. He's right. It'll be OK once I get use to the gun again. Every year I lament over this issue and every year I overcome it.

I better focus on finishing strong with the open gun first. Illinois State Match coming up. Headed to the basement to dry fire.

Hi Jane,

Been a while since I posted.

Progress Is going great!!!

You are MILES above me Mentally (notice the above).

On the lean............

I used to lean while exiting a position, but for that one reason you point out (mike on the last shot) I no longer lean.

I try to blast out of the postition like a sprinter does his starting blocks if Possible, if not I try to leave like I'm on Ice skates......firmly but smoothly but ballanced.......being you are up north where there is ice I think you can understand that.

Hopalong

Hi Jane,

Been a while since I posted.

Progress Is going great!!!

You are MILES above me Mentally (notice the above).

On the lean............

I used to lean while exiting a position, but for that one reason you point out (mike on the last shot) I no longer lean.

I try to blast out of the postition like a sprinter does his starting blocks if Possible, if not I try to leave like I'm on Ice skates......firmly but smoothly but ballanced.......being you are up north where there is ice I think you can understand that.

Hopalong

Good to hear from you Hopalong! Thanks for the encouragement!

We had league night last night and I had a good night. I've been working on shrinking my vision of the target to only the A zone. Last night I had pretty good vision. I also had the opportunity to use/practice/experiment with the lunge lean. I'm really liking it. I can lunge lean backwards, sideways and forward. It is really versatile and yet stable. I think I'm becoming a fan. My husband, like you Hoppy, likes to explode out of the box. I will need to work on that because that is a skill I would like to have. However, I think my style right now is more smooth, rolling, and fluid so this seems to feel more natural and comfortable to me.

The concept of time is amusing to me right now. I've lost all conceptual/perceptual abilities related to time when I shoot. At the end of my runs I'm shocked at how much faster I am compared to my training partners. It doesn't feel fast at all. I think this may be a good thing in my development. :D

I'm off to do the dinner dishes and then to the basement to dry fire...FINISH STRONG!