Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

League night has resumed at the Ball house. League night is basically a once a week practice where we set up 2 field courses, a classifier, and a speed shoot. We keep score and run each stage twice. Shot it last night and really pushed for speed. I got what I expected. Fewer points with more D hits and a few mikes. I was running 2 seconds ahead of the limited guns. It was fast but I found it to be sloppy and dis-satisfying.

Turning up the aggressiveness...the go-for-it'ness...the attacking of the stage...

...that is NOT the same as turning up the speed.

All too often we think in terms of speed VS. accuracy...which is duality...black or white...yen or yang. And, it is NOT reality. (Well, it may be our reality if that is how we choose to see things and allow ourselves to accept things.)

It is easy for us to say this...OR...that. It fits nicely into our thinking...neat, tidy, compartmentalized. Thinking in this nature...you can get one thing, but it is at the expense of other stuff. And, that other stuff may be important.

Maybe, instead of asking for speed...ask for _____________.

------------------

I used to shoot stages in practice. I found I wasn't speeding my time and energy as well as I could. I like various drills quite a bit better. I can pick out an aspect of my shooting, and strenthen it. That can make the practice session very goal orientated....which beats 'jsut shooting al lot'.

Speeds

1. Seeing shots great but overconfirming sight (high alpha count)

2. Seeing shots and pulling the trigger the split second you see it (alpha/charlie on all targets)

3. Seeing brown paper (Delta and mikes in the mix)

Again there...it seems you are tying speed in with vision...performance..accuracy?

I want to be able to shoot that #2 speed consistently.

Speed ?

Make it about vision, and the speed will take care of itself.

(And, don't accept/program that it is OK to give up 10% of the points on a stage by shooting A/C...)

League night has resumed at the Ball house. League night is basically a once a week practice where we set up 2 field courses, a classifier, and a speed shoot. We keep score and run each stage twice. Shot it last night and really pushed for speed. I got what I expected. Fewer points with more D hits and a few mikes. I was running 2 seconds ahead of the limited guns. It was fast but I found it to be sloppy and dis-satisfying.

Turning up the aggressiveness...the go-for-it'ness...the attacking of the stage...

...that is NOT the same as turning up the speed.

All too often we think in terms of speed VS. accuracy...which is duality...black or white...yen or yang. And, it is NOT reality. (Well, it may be our reality if that is how we choose to see things and allow ourselves to accept things.)

It is easy for us to say this...OR...that. It fits nicely into our thinking...neat, tidy, compartmentalized. Thinking in this nature...you can get one thing, but it is at the expense of other stuff. And, that other stuff may be important.

Maybe, instead of asking for speed...ask for _____________.

------------------

I used to shoot stages in practice. I found I wasn't speeding my time and energy as well as I could. I like various drills quite a bit better. I can pick out an aspect of my shooting, and strenthen it. That can make the practice session very goal orientated....which beats 'jsut shooting al lot'.

Thanks for the post Flex. You are a man of few words so when you do speak one should listen.

There are many paths that lead to the same destination. I'm not afraid of the path I'm on.

In my mind vision and speed are connected and therefore must be managed. I'm allowing myself to explore. The question I'm trying to answer for myself is "How much do I really NEED to see to get my hits?" I have more to say about it...but I have to go to work. :angry2:

XRE....I can't believe you haven't posted on all this stuff! Vacation is over buddy...get to posting!! :)

A picture is worth a thousand words.....

The music you hear in the background is my 14 year old, movie maker son playing his guitar....HE ROCKS!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3363909947505205000

I wasn't ready to talk about this match when I posted but now I'm ready. One significant thing that happened was I reached another goal. I had stated that I wanted to win a stage at Silver Creek in my goals...What I really meant was I wanted to win a stage at South Central. That happened at this match. I won the classifier stage (Iron Sides) The South Central Match has some of the best Open shooters in Indiana/Kentucky. So winning a stage there is a step in the right direction. B)

The first stage on the video was a victory for me personally. Competitively I got killed on that stage because I had several delta's and two mikes, but I allowed myself to push (which is a mental victory). The first mike occured as I was leaving the first box. I was trying to do a "lean exit" and I pulled off the target before finishing the shot. The second miss was through the port where there were 4 hard cover targets. I had a shot slip into the hard cover. Despite this I'm very proud that I attempted the lean and that I shot the port aggressively. I'm capable of getting those hits and I will in the future. If I could run that course of fire again I would change the cadence of my shots. During that run you hear very fast "double taps". I would love to run that course again and smooth out those shots into an even cadence. In fact I'm going to work on that in practice this week. I think I could have still run fast and gotten better hits if I would have taken a little off the transitions and added that time to the splits. Also, my focus "seeing" wasn't good on this stage. Harder focus on the targets and a more even cadence I think would have made me do better.

The second stage that I posted I shot well. However, if I were to shoot it again I would try for a more even cadence. The transition time from target to target was a little long.

It was hard for me to let loose in competition. I was tempted to pull back and shoot my regular 90% points and be in a position to do well if others messed up...but what would I have learned?? This is my season to learn. Each time I shoot I learn.

Matt Mclearn is finished with my Limited gun. He should be shipping it out this weekend. In his words he says, "the gun is awesome". He spent 1 1/2 days reworking it. I begged him to give me a gun that would "sing". I'm trusting that he did. I certainly have NO COMPLAINTS about my open gun. :D

We will be shooting NRA action pistol for the FIRST TIME ever this weekend. I have no idea how to do it. I'm going to shoot it like I do everything else...put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

Edited by Calamity Jane

I was trying to do a "lean exit" and I pulled off the target before finishing the shot.

I run into this lately - in fact, its been a challenge for me all year (including at the Nationals). For me, its a symptom of rushing ;) Trying to get to the next thing, so I don't give as much attention to the present as I should be (ie, all of it).

If I could run that course of fire again I would change the cadence of my shots.

D'oh.... I'd rather see you focus on calling every one of your shots solidly in the A-zone rather than bring demon speed into it :) Listening back to a cadence tells you a lot of things - and, in practice, trying to shoot to a cadence is a tool to learn several things. But, in a course of fire, ideally the only thing you're focusing is the thing you want to be doing right now, in this moment :)

Ok, that said - if I were wanting to increase my time across that array, listening to your cadence tells me that you're perhaps not indexing as quickly as you could be. I can't tell if you're shooting "doubles" or two called shots. If the latter, I wouldn't even worry about those - I would simply add emphasis to my focus on each shot to insure they're where they need to be. If the former, I'd start working on breaking that habit. Then, in my walk through, I'd be sure to focus on snapping my eyes (and, hence, the whole platform) from target to target across that array, and make sure that I visualize that, as well, in my visualization prep. Then see if you don't notice a change in cadence across those when you review tape later... ;)

I think I could have still run fast and gotten better hits if I would have taken a little off the transitions and added that time to the splits.

Actually, the biggest spot you could pick up time on that performance is movement work... You exited the first position well (at least, your form was nice, if not your hits), but after that, you lost time in each entry/exit. Specifically - you have to bring the gun up to get on target once you get to position - that costs hard time. Have the gun up a step or three out of the position, and be shooting as soon as you possibly can be. That's worth at least half a second on each position.

Another thing that might've helped - in that 2nd array, shooting it right to left would have given you two things - quicker entry to the position (you're already facing that target as you come in), possibly an easier first shot (looks like those targets might've been closer), and easier body position to exit from (you're not cross ways with yourself trying to scoot fully into the box from there, and your weight is distributed less awkwardly).

The last position, you might've been able to "cheat" the entry a hair more and be shooting the target on the right side of the no-shoot as you enter the box. Your box entry looked good (minus the gun not being up) - dumping a hair more energy inbound and setting up smooth on that right foot could have allowed you to engage the right target first. I can't tell what difference that would have made based on the video - just something to consider next time you break down a stage with this choice in it.

Your shooting is progressing by leaps and bounds, Jane. Definitely work on that self image - cause I see an A shooter trying to emerge here. I will always encourage you to work on your fundamentals - but I think you're ready to start thinking about things like I mentioned above. It will take work to master them, of course, but you don't seem to have any problem with that :)

It was hard for me to let loose in competition. I was tempted to pull back and shoot my regular 90% points and be in a position to do well if others messed up...but what would I have learned?? This is my season to learn. Each time I shoot I learn.

Once I started viewing local matches as practice sessions, things changed a lot for me. I was able to experiment with things in match situations, and learn from them. Sure, it may mean that I don't have superb performances at every local match - at least by the scores. But learning and gaining experience in a match setting can be far more valuable than a nice, safe local match performance ;)

Matt Mclearn is finished with my Limited gun. He should be shipping it out this weekend. In his words he says, "the gun is awesome". He spent 1 1/2 days reworking it. I begged him to give me a gun that would "sing". I'm trusting that he did. I certainly have NO COMPLAINTS about my open gun. :D

Gotta love new toys!!!! :D

We will be shooting NRA action pistol for the FIRST TIME ever this weekend. I have no idea how to do it. I'm going to shoot it like I do everything else...put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

Can't help you here - I've not played that game, either.... ;) Sounds like a reasonable plan, though... BigDave can probably give you some thoughts on this, though....

(edit to fix a quote of Jane's I'd left in the middle of my text)

Edited by XRe

Can't help you here - I've not played that game, either.... ;) Sounds like a reasonable plan, though... BigDave can probably give you some thoughts on this, though....

Oh hell yeah! I've been bugging Mr. and Mrs. Ball to come play this game since '04 at least. Hopefully this will give Jane (and Dave, and anyone else ;) ) a different perspective that she can project to her USPSA shooting.

In AP, shot calling only goes so far. Shot execution is where it is at.

Oh hell yeah! I've been bugging Mr. and Mrs. Ball to come play this game since '04 at least. Hopefully this will give Jane (and Dave, and anyone else ;) ) a different perspective that she can project to her USPSA shooting.

In AP, shot calling only goes so far. Shot execution is where it is at.

Hey Big Dave,

Looking forward to shooting with you and Rhino this weekend. I'm depending on you guys to show me the ropes. I'm ready to play at 50 yards...bring it on baby!

Thanks Dave...good to have you back.

All RIGHT!!! I'm not going to mention speed again for the entire month of JULY! Not another word. All you all are going to hear from me for the next 4 weeks is what I'm seeing. :goof:

I got interupted as I was posting....wanted to add this mantra...think of me saying it in a monotone chant...

There is no speed. Speed does not exist. Only what I see exist. I see what I can see. What I see is what is. If I want more I need to see more.

Is that better XRE and Flex??

Sheesh...I'm trying to take a walk on the wild side...play with matches if you will...and all my buddies want to do is yell "Stop!" "You're going the wrong way!".

Thanks guys. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

There is no speed. Speed does not exisit. Only what I see exisit. I see what I can see. What I see is what is. If I want more I need to see more.

heh heh... this is only true if you are also not filtering what you see through your existing perceptions... :D heh heh...

Is that better XRE and Flex??

Sheesh...I'm trying to take a walk on the wild side...play with matches if you will...and all my buddies want to do is yell "Stop!" "You're going the wrong way!".

Right, right... :goof:

Definitely hang it out there - be agressive. I'm just saying that Ricky Bobby's mantra* doesn't work so much in our game :D Puts the wrong thing in your subconscious and all...

I discovered two things recently, that have resulted in much quicker times for me. I know they seem self evident, but... I guess I hadn't ever understood them quite as viscerally as I do now... One is the entry thing, about having the gun up (you can by physically slower and smoother about your entry - at least, that's how it feels, but have much faster times and target engagements). The second is this: shooting speed is entirely dictated by vision, and therefore speed of shooting comes from vision. When not shooting, however, move like your hair's on fire ;) When you're not shooting, you absolutely cannot be moving fast enough (excepting doing technical things like, say, throwing a steel washer into a bucket that's 3 feet away, let's say... :) ).

BigDave will appreciate this - I've learned to equate switching between movement types to driving a race car on a road course. I've said before - there are three types of movement in this game: standing still, shooting on the move, and running flat out. The middle one varies in speed and tempo based on the difficulty of the targets and your skill level... Ok, so - take the first segment of the field course in that match from the last video. As you start to lean out of the box, you are transitioning into shoot on the move. Then you move flat out. As you approach the next position, you slow up and bring the gun up (ie - you transition to shoot on the move!), and then slow to a stop in the position (cause you have to engage multiple things from this spot). A racer will exit a corner and go WOT (wide open throttle) hard towards the next corner. At some point, depending on the car, the corner, and the skill level of the driver, the driver will lift off the throttle, begin to brake, and enter the turn (not necessarily in that order), braking enough to keep the car stuck to the road, and navigates the turn in the most efficient way possible. What we're seeking to do is similar - roll onto the throttle as soon as we can exiting the current turn (ie, lean out of the box, or begin to step or move as we're engaging the last targets in a position), go WOT as soon as possible (we haul ass to the next position), then, depending on our skill level and the difficulty of the targets and position presented in the next spot, we pick a point to start braking (lean back, bleed off speed, transition to shoot on the move as we bring the gun up and start seeking a target), and possibly to stop or pin up, depending on the situation.

It could almost be said that by "cheating" the box, we're doing something analogous to "trail braking" in racing, where the driver is still slowing the car down into the middle of the turn, balancing all of the forces in play to maintain the highest corner speed while keeping the tires planted firmly.

Ok, I'm rambling along here... :D Don't know if that helps at all, either, but... its an interesting analogy to me at the moment, so... :D

* the Ricky Bobby mantra: I wanna go fast!

There is no speed. Speed does not exist. Only what I see exist. I see what I can see. What I see is what is. If I want more I need to see more.

OK I admit when I wrote that down I had part of my tongue in my cheek but here is what happened. We had league night yesterday. Before each run I told myself speed does not exist, only what I see exist. The mantra solved a lot of my problems. I maintained the speed I've been looking for and also got my hits! The double tap cadence evened itself out naturally. There was no thinking or trying involved only seeing.

I may have found what I've been looking for. I may have found that place in my head where I can compete the best. The month of July will tell us if I'm right. ;)

It has been a busy time here at the Ball house. Last weekend we did 2 shooting matches! I've got a lot to say but I'll try to spread it out.

NRA Action Pistol

Big Dave has been trying to get us to shoot this for some time. I enjoyed it. I shot a 1583 which isn't too bad for the very first time out. I want to it again because I think I can do much better. On the mover stage I didn't have a sight picutre at 10 and 15 yds from the left side. I was having trouble getting on target when the mover came from the left. THEN BIG DAVE told me how to draw to a mover!!!!!!! THAT RIGHT THERE was worth the price of admission! As soon as he told me how to do it I could do it. My targets at 20 and 25 yards were much better than the 10 and 15 yard targets. I did pretty well on the practical. I knew where my gun shot at 50 yards but that is using an IPSC target. So my hold wasn't quite right for the NRA target...lost a few points at 50 yards I know I can get. The barriers weren't too bad but a little practice with the par timer and my body position and I think I could greatly improve. All in all, I want to do it again. I would like to score an 1800 next time out. I think it can be done.

The sport itself I think is valuable. I thought to myself "What a great way to start women and kids shooting!" It is all stand and shoot, and the focus is on trigger control and sight alignment. We scored our own targets at this match so you didn't have a RO yelling out your score. I thought for the beginner that was a bonus. Ofcourse I had to have the hubby score my targets because I didn't have enough digits on my fingers and toes to add it all up. :D

For me personally I think NRA action can help me on my mental toughness when it comes to the stand and shoot speed courses. I have a tendency not to respect these stages and I'm a little mentally weak on them. I get bored...or I approach these stages with a bored attitude. In fact that is what happened at the plate rack stage. I had mikes at the 25 yard range NOT because I couldn't do it...but because I got bored and let myself down mentally.

Summary...NRA action...GOOD STUFF!

Atlanta Match

I've found a place mentally where I can compete. I'm going to try to describe what I mean in a later post.

We shot the classifier bang and clang. I had a .12 split and 2 alpha on the paper target at approximately 7 yards. I've never done a .12 split...let alone 2 alpha doing that kind of speed. In fact, if you put $100 dollars on the table right now and asked me to shoot a .12 split with 2 alpha I don't think I could do it. You see to get that kind of speed you can't try, or want, or plan, or desire to do it. It is by product of allowing the subconscious to rule. I can do it...but I can't do it in my conscious. What I'm trying to say people...is once again...I've found a spot in my head...a key if you will...that is unlocking my subconscious and allowing me to do some pretty cool stuff. Nuff said. ;)

I'm feeling so encouraged I'm going to state a new goal:

HOA at a match before the end of the year!

I've got more....but it will have to wait.

The Spiritual Plate

As I've stated before my spiritual life is important to me. I wasn't planning on sharing my "spiritual plate" in my range diary but something has happened today that I feel necessary to document. I have been searching for more grace and humility in my life. This afternoon I got a huge dose of both. My heart burns with it as my eyes swell with tears. I want to remember this day and what I'm feeling at this moment. My heart is overwhelmed. When the time is right, I will tell you the story.

My health is fine for those of you who may be worried. ;)

Benevolent Brother

I have a brother and he is the one responsible for getting my husband and I involved in IPSC shooting. I still remember the day he taught me how to shoot my first glock. He told me to aim for the head. I did and got all my hits. He said, "Aim for the groin." I did and got all my hits. He said, "Aim for the heart." I did and got all my hits. It was after this shooting lesson that he told me I should be shooting IPSC. He has been one of my biggest supporters. He has ALWAYS encouraged me. He took the following picture of that memorable day.

post-7313-1184255536.jpg

As many of you know I wanted my open gun very badly. We ordered the gun in December and it was finished in February. We paid for 1/2 of the gun and the other 1/2 was due when the gun was completed. The problem was I had no money to pay for the gun at completion. The month of February brought an $800 propane gas bill as well as a car repair bill. The particular day the money was due the stock market crashed 400 points! Selling stock was not an option. THERE WAS NO MONEY!!! I had absolutely no way to pay for the gun. My brother knew about our cash flow problem. Without me asking he offered to pay for the gun. I thanked him but declined (pride). I thought there would be another way. There wasn't. I made the call to ask him for the money (humility) and this is how far I got in the conversation before he stopped me "The reason I called…" He wouldn't let me go any further (grace). All he said was "How much do you need?" I could have named any price and he would have given it to me. My brother willingly and lovingly covered my debt. I paid him back in full on July 5, 2007 at 11 a.m. It took me 5 months to find the money I needed! Each time I brought it up he told me not to worry about it. I love my brother and he loves me. I may not have a tech wear shirt with sponsors on it but I have a brother who stands behind my shooting. He will always be my first sponsor.

Belief and Faith

Understanding belief and faith can sometimes be difficult. I've spent much time pondering how the two relate. I wanted to share a couple of thoughts about what I think the two are. I'm sharing this because in my next post I'm going to describe the "place in my head" and it will be helpful for you to understand what I think about faith and belief.

The Chair

A person of belief describes a chair: "This is a chair. It has four legs and a back. It is designed to support your weight. You can stand on it or sit on it." On and on the person of belief goes describing the chair but never actually sits down in it.

A person of faith looks at the chair and then sits down.

The Horizon

The Captain of Belief: "I believe the ships I see on the horizon are not falling off the earth. I don't believe the world is flat. Surely there is something beyond what we can see." All the time he is thinking and talking his ship is sailing back and forth along the horizon.

The Captain of Faith: He looks out to the horizon and sees other ships disappearing. He tells his crew, "Set a course for the horizon, full speed ahead."

Belief: Thinks

Faith: Does

Tomorrow I'll post "the place in my head". ;) More mental mumbo jumbo headed your way. After that post...I'll be all caught up on the stuff I want to say. :)

Belief: Thinks

Faith: Does

And there ya go... ;)

Its useful to note that Faith stems from the experience of doing. "Faith" with no experience is blind, and "Blind Faith" is foolishness... :)

In other words... Go Do and Learn :D

Edited by XRe

Above it All

We were in Chicago last week for a little vacation. We rode the South Shore Train in to the city, visited Millennium Park, explored Navy Pier, walked the magnificent Michigan mile, bought chocolate at the Hershey store, ate Chicago style pizza at Gino’s East, and went to the top of the John Hancock building. The beauty from the top of the John Hancock building took my breath away. My favorite view is from the north where the vastness of Lake Michigan reminds me of the ocean. When I see beauty like that my mind goes blank. I enjoy just looking. You get a unique perspective when you’re above it all and look outward.

The next day we adventured to Indiana Dunes National Park. My husband spent quite some time there as a youth but I had never seen the dunes. We hiked one of the dunes and we were rewarded by an incredible view of Lake Michigan. The words “above it all” came to me as I was looking outward. We spent the rest of the day at the beach. While I was sitting at the beach enjoying the view of Lake Michigan I thought about what I saw and felt at the top of the Dunes and the John Hancock building. I began to ponder the words “above it all”. As usual my mind drifted to shooting.

I’ve described my journey as climbing a mountain. You may remember the story about my Mom and me hiking the mountain in New Mexico. Where I’m at in my head is much like the hike up a mountain. I’m not at the summit of the mountain, but I have found a beautiful vista from near the top. It’s a place where there are no words only seeing. It’s a place of no thinking or describing. It’s a place of quiet and awe. To use words to describe it does not do it justice and only detracts from what is. It’s a place I’ve been looking for and others have found before me. I’ve found a place in my shooting where the only thing that matters is what I see. I’m drinking in what I see much like I drink in mountaintop views with quiet and awe.

It’s been a long hike to get to this place yet I know each step of the journey. I know intimately the terrain beneath me. I guess that is why I have no fear sharing where I’m at. I’m not afraid that this is a place I’ve stumbled on or where I’ll get lost and won’t be able to find it again. I KNOW where I’m at and how I got here. There has been much along my path that I have had to deal with. Stops along the journey have been: desire, trying, trusting, training, fear of success, fear of failure, and the delusion of speed. All of these things had to be dealt with. Also there were issues of self that had to be dealt with. Some of these self image issues were: being a woman in a male dominated sport, developing shooting skill greater than my husband and my mentor, accepting that I could be a woman and HOA, not worrying about what I look like on video or what I wear to a match. ALL of these things were getting in the way of me finding the place I’ve found. And yet it was important to visit them all because now I know my path and how I got here. I’m above these things now. I’m “above it all”. To view them now is to look beneath me. My view is now outward and to only seeing. My mind is free to only see and it is empowering.

I spoke of faith and belief in a previous post. Really the two cannot be separated. You need both to experience the power the two possess. For me the path up the mountain was not desire, or training, or trying, or hard work or whatever else you want to put down. For me the path up the mountain has been faith and belief. I had belief that this place existed, and acted in faith by taking each step to get here.

I don’t know what lies ahead but I think I’m going to stay in this place awhile. I’ve only begun to explore what seeing really means. I’m sure there is a higher place, a summit if you will. But for now I’m content with the mountaintop view that leaves me with a sense of quiet and awe and a feeling that I’m part of something bigger than myself.

I wanted to add something else that I have overcome to get to the place I'm at now. I forgive myself when I have a mike. Mikes are nothing more than a symptom that I didn't see what I needed to see.

I had a few mikes at a shooting match today. Once again the "lean" got me a mike. I've got to figure out what I need to see before I leave that box. I'm seeing the mike, but I'm gone before I can fix it. In fact that is my problem...I see the mike, but I've moved on before I can fix it. I can see and shoot fast in the subconscious but if anything goes wrong I can't seem to react and fix it as quick as I need to. At least that is my perception. However, I always see what happened.

Also, I've got another problem I need some help with. I'm not finishing matches. I've noticed this has become a habit with me. I let up mentally on the last stage. I know I do it. I try not to do it. But I'm still doing it. I'm not sure how to train this out of me??

I would appreciate it if someone would talk to me about this and encourage me. I need to know you guys are still out there. I fear I may have lost some of you speaking my mental mumbo jumbo. :rolleyes: I asked my hubby what he thought of my last post. He shrugged his shoulders and didn't say a word!!! Great I thought to myself. No one is "picking up what I'm laying down"! :unsure:

going Lanny Bassham on you, I tell myself every match that I finish the match strong, and the longer the match goes on, the better I get.

It helps.

Losing focus at the end of the match can be something as simple as you're not eating or drinking enough, getting dehydrated and just becoming mentally tired.