Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Westeren Powders Tac

ryan45kim

Has anybody tried this powder?

I would like to find one powder to load 223, 308, and 260rem with.

I would prefer to find a ball powder, it just meters so much better then any stick powder I’ve tried.

Now the question is has anyone tried TAC? Rumor has it that this is the powder that Black Hills uses to load there 77gr 223 for the military.

How sensitive is it to temperature ect?

How accurate is it?

Anything else you could tell me about this powder would be appreciated.

I also posted this question in the reloading section but I would like to get some feedback from the guys here. The 308 and 260rem loads would be for my bolt guns for long range and you guys specialize in that. So what do you guys think about TAC.

That is the powder tha Black hill uses for their 68, 69 and 77 grn 223 bullets. I use it in my 68 grn 223 load and it shoots great. It is also inexpesive when compared to other powder. But I know of at least two shooters that have tried it in their 308 and could not get it to group very well.

Scott

I had excellent results with Reloader 15 in my AR service rifle with 69, 75 & 80 gr bullets also in .308 & slightly reduced charges in 7 Rem Mag. Ran all loads with Redding powder measure. This is my 'all purpose powder'.

I also had good results with Tac in heavy 223 bullets but not the 55's.

I tried it in 308 also but it never came close to my Varget load, So I gave up on it.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your successful Varget load in 308?

I have found that right at 24.8 or 24.9 grains of the Ramshot Xterminator powder works really well in 223 using just about any 55 grain bullet and Winchester small rifle primers. It is also a ball powder and meters well.

Edited by stubbicatt

My 308 load is a variation of the standard Bacon and Eggs load that every body in the world uses.

Lapua brass

175 Smk bullet

Fed large rifle match primer

44.0-44.1 grains Varget

I played with TAC for heavier 223 loads, 75s and 80s. However, it shot ok, not great, and it would have noticable zero changes based on temperature. I switched to VV530 for my 223 (80 vld) and 308 (155 scenar) loads. While the velocity changes with temperature like any powder. I don't have the 100yd zero changes that I got with TAC. Long range trajectory changes can be dealt with by different drop tables, that doesn't bother me.

It's been awhile since I looked at the 260, but I thought it ran best with slower powders than would be used in the 223/308. I think you will be giving up significant performance ground if you try to stick with one powder for all three.

My list of go to powders for 223 (heavy)/308

VV140-usually my most consistent accuracy not top speed

VV 530-reasonably accurate, and most consistent top speed powder

I could not get TAC to group real well with 150's in the .308. I am going to try again with better quality slug and see what I get.

I use 44.7 grains of VARGET with a 168 grain NOSLER Competition in a REM case, win primer, and get about .6-1" at a hundred out of my DPMS LR308. Have not had time to group at longer ranges yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davidawilson...actoryLoads.htm

David Wilson has done an awful lot of work with TAC and the 308. The link is for his reloading pages. Hit the Home button and you'll see a wealth of other good info as well.

Like others have said, I've used TAC with great success in heavy 223 loads. I've had relatively good luck with TAC in 308 as well.

First thanks for all the replies.

Ok I admit defeat and now except the fact that I can not run one powder for 223, 308, and 260.

Now two more questions.

1) If you were choosing one powder for heavy 223 (68, 69, 75, 77 ect) and 308 and 260 LR loads what would you pick? The two powders I hear over and over again are Varget and Reloader 15. Which one is better, also do you have other suggestions? Will one powder work for these three loads (or is this a lost cause like my first question was)?

2) What ball powder would you suggest for 55gr full metal jacket 223? I live in PA and most matches are 200yds and under so this is my main AR ammo. This must be a ball powder, I’ll suffer with a stick powder for the other rounds but I load this in bulk on my Dillon and have no faith in the Dillon powder measure and stick powder.

Thanks, Ryan

Ryan

You are not defeated! You can use 4895 in all these calibers, I have. However, its never that simple, my 6.5-08 performs better with 4350, and my .223/55’s for 3G like 2230C. My 308 goes well with 4895. All of these propellants were chosen for their availability and for the simple fact I read it somewhere or heard it or something. For me, there will never be the best powder; part of shooting is the loading and the experimenting and the gizmos and gadgets.

Some say Reloader 21 may be the ultimate for a .260 (compressed charge).

Make sure the wing nut on the end of the power bar bell crank rod has the spring compressed tight after the handle is up hard on the priming stroke (after pressing in a primer). This may help consistency on stick power.

Mell

2) What ball powder would you suggest for 55gr full metal jacket 223? I live in PA and most matches are 200yds and under so this is my main AR ammo. This must be a ball powder, I’ll suffer with a stick powder for the other rounds but I load this in bulk on my Dillon and have no faith in the Dillon powder measure and stick powder.

Thanks, Ryan

Hodgdon H335! Winchester 748 will also work, but, for up to 55 grain bullets I'll take H335.

• 1 year later...

Tried some TAC today in 223 with my AR 1x7 WOA 18" bbl.

At 24.6 grains with Hornady 55fmj's results were less than satisfying averaging 2 to 2 1/4"

Then things got better. I bumped the load up to 25.2 grains and shot 3 - 5 shot groups averaging 1"

24.4 grains under a Moly SIMK 69 grainer averaged just under 1" with a couple of groups having 3 shots touching.

All this was shot with a Weaver 1x3 power scope.

I will continue to play with this powder as it meters well in progressive and the price is right.

Before today I was hooked on BL-C2 and it still may be the better powder, but economically I am going TAC

25.2 grains of TAC with Nosler 69 grain bullets get me about .5-.75" at a hundred, 2950 fps, and I use Ramshot exterminator with 55 grain win fmjs, 26.2 grains, 1" at a hundred and around 3150 fps.

I have TAC with 155 grain Nosler's and get a about .8" at a hundred out of a DPMS lr-308. Have not ran them over chrony yet.

At 24.6 grains with Hornady 55fmj's results were less than satisfying averaging 2 to 2 1/4"

Then things got better. I bumped the load up to 25.2 grains and shot 3 - 5 shot groups averaging 1"

24.4 grains under a Moly SIMK 69 grainer averaged just under 1" with a couple of groups having 3 shots touching.

I had very similar results with my Hornady 55's. I was at 24.5 grains but once I upped it to 25.2 It did just fine. 24.5 grains under 69's are great, well better than my shooting ability anyway.