Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best gun for Production

Mickster

STI seems to be "the" gun for open and limited.

I want to try my hand shooting in USPSA Production and want to avoid the cost of making the wrong choice.

What would be the gun to use and in what caliber? And then, what would it take to make it competition ready?

Thanks for your help.

Huh.

I'd say a 9mm from Glock, Beretta, CZ, or Sig.

Make it competition ready by inserting a magazine and racking the slide.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist that.  I think about the only thing you could do is get some different sights.  I believe the Glocks are the most popular, and are arguably better because they have the same trigger pull for every shot.  If you dislike that trigger pull, though, then maybe that same-ness isn't such a big benny.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

I haven't shot much Production, but when I did, I shot a Glock.  Around here, Glocks tend to be the most prevalent and do quite well.  

Just for kicks though, I looked at some of the major matches for 2002 and found the following results:

2002 World Shoot Production:  1st Glock (Sevigny) followed by several Tangifolios (CZ style at least) I believe.

U.S. Factory Gun Nationals   1st Para LDA (Jarrett), 2nd Glock (Sevigny), 3rd Beretta (Langdon), 4th Sig Sauer (Olhasso), 5th (I'm not sure) (Lovett)

Area 1 Champ:  ? (I'm not sure) (Boyd)

Area 2 Champ:  Springfield XD (Leatham)

Area 3 Champ:  Glock (Kartozian)

Area 4 Champ:  Glock (McCartney)

Area 5 Champ:  Glock (Kartozian)

Area 6 Champ:  Glock (McCartney)

Area 7 Champ:  ? (Lovett)

Area 8 Champ:  Glock (Sevigny)

AL Section: Glock (McCartney)

GA Section: Glock (McCartney)

MS Section: Glock (McCartney)

Mid-Atlantic: Para LDA (Jarrett)

OH Section: Beretta (Divita)

TN Section: Glock (McCartney)

VA Summer Blast:  Para LDA (Jarrett)

VT Aware Inv.:  Para LDA (Jarrett)

I apologize about any that I left out or stated incorrectly.  

I think any of the above could easily be competitive.   Note that there are only a few more names than there are brands of guns.  Interesting....  Production division in itself attempts to "level" the playing field.  My thought would be find the one that YOU think feels the best, points the best, handles the best, and shoots the best for YOU.  

As far as caliber goes, most of the above shoot 9mm.  A few shoot .40.  There are some threads on that on this board.  I really can't say which would be better.  9mm is cheaper to reload, in fact, it's cheap enough you might not have to reload.  

To make any of the guns competition ready for Production would require very little.  Very little is in fact allowed.  Some trigger work, maybe better sights.  There are posts around here for modifications as well, but under Production rules the list will be relatively short.  

I hope others post here to help.  Good luck to you in your decision and good shooting.

Mickster,

If you reload, then a 40 Caliber Glock may be a good way to go.  It can be downloaded to be most effective in Minor power factor in Production, or loaded to Major and you can kick butt with it in Limited or Limited 10.

If you aren't reloading, then 9mm is the way to go.  Glock's in 9mm seem to be the most popular there.  but you gotta go with what works for you.

For the tupperware, I suggest an extended mag release & 3.5lb connector (from Glock, standard on the G34/35's) and Heinie Slant Pro or Novak sights.  Maybe some minor spring changes.

[broken Record Mode ON]

If you've got a pistol you use to carry or for self-defense, why not just shoot that?  Who cares if it's "The Ultimate Production blaster?"  Shooting Production is a great way to get intimately familiar with your current equipment.  Why not give it a whirl?

[broken Record Mode OFF]

Any good quality factory gun that you shoot well is perfect in production.  Obviousily I am partial to the Sig, but as long as the gun is accurate and reliable, then you are set.

No matter what gun you choose (except the Para LDA) will have one big draw back: No decent sight options!!!  All the replacement sights for production guns are of the combat type: big and fast, but not ideal for tight accuracy

Most people shooting limited have a front sight between .085 and .100 wide and a bomar type rear sight.  I know of no factory produced front sight for a production gun (except the LDA) that is thinner than .125 wide.  And the rear sight options are even worse.  Unfortunately, this means that if you want decent IPSC type sights for  your production blaster, either buy a mill or be prepared to pay someone to build them for you.

Mickster,

the actual world champion team in Production (Italy) is entirely shooting Tanfoglio Stock.

You can have a peek at this handgun at the following address:

http://www.tanfoglio.it/sportandcompetition/stockbuzz.htm.

The team members ranked 2nd, 4th, 6th and 22nd at the recent World shoot XII in SA, and all shoot the same handgun (as I said before).

David:

the above mentioned handgun sports the italian version of a Bo-Mar rear sight: it is manufactured by LPA and it is called supersight; it is the standard rear sight on all Tanfoglio sport pistols.

(Edited by Skywalker67 at 12:50 am on Jan. 31, 2003)

(Edited by Skywalker67 at 12:56 am on Jan. 31, 2003)

300lbGorilla,

dunno .

Under Appendix E - Production Division:

26. Replacement sights are allowed as long at their installation requires no alteration to the slide and the type (i.e. adjustable) of sights installed is offered by the firearm manufacturer for that specific model.

I don't think the Fiber-optics type front sight can be considered legal in Prod. since it is not factory provided on Glocks.

300 lb. and skywalker,

You're both right.

Since Skywalker is in Italy, IPSC rules apply for him.

300 lbs. is in the USA, therefore USPSA rules apply.  

Just be sure to read the right appendix.  The red USPSA 14th edition has two sets of divisions/rules for IPSC and USPSA.

Skywalker67,

Mickster is in Florida, so I think he might be asking about USPSA Production rules.  Mickster?

Under USPSA, you can mill the slide for "melted-in" Bomar sights.  Though pricey.

USPSA also allows the fiber optic in the front sight, as long as it remains a "post and notch" type.

Thank you one and all for your valuable input.

I tried my friends Beretta 92 a couple of times at some fun shoots. It points perfect and feels good but the single action trigger was so bad I ended up "short stroking" (not letting the trigger back far enough to reset) a couple of times. It took me forever to get the first shot off in double action mode too. Looks like I need to practice some.

From the info I got from you guys it seems a full sized 9mm Glock would be the way to go, maybe the long slide version?

However, I always did like how the CZ looked and read how ergonomically perfect it was so the Tanfoglio/CZ would be worth taking a look at too.

Or maybe see if somebdy can put a decent trigger in the 92? It's for sale and I can pick it up at a very good price.

What to do?

Yes Flex, I live in the land of perpetual sunshine, scorching summer heat and take your breath away humidity so USPSA rules apply.

Mickster,

The Beretta is a great choice for production. You see all the trick mileed out slides on the raceguns to lower the reciprocating mass? Beretta has done it for you.

Plus, they don'y know how to jam, and will cycle anything.

The elite 1 (discontinued, available used) or elite 2 are even better with better sights and beveled magwells.

The trigger can be made sweeeeeeeet by Ernest Langdon.

langdontactical.com

It'll be 7 lbs da, 3.5 sa. Much better.

The glock is also a fine pistol, but they point wrong for me and don't fit my hands.

My point is, if you like the Beretta, it can be made even better.

SA

If you liked the Beretta, I'd say go with that.  The Elite 2 is pretty cool looking, but they beefed up the slide, kinda doing the reverse of all the slide lightening.  Also, you could have E. Langdon do a trigger job on it, but you can't get the "speed bump" trigger installed, because that would constitute an "external modification".  

Also, it's kinda hard to find holsters that will fit the thicker slide of the Elite pistols.  So a regular 92fs might be the way to go, and then get a trigger job and a nice set of sights.

Of course, a CZ and a Glock are always worth a try, if you can find a friend with one.  The CZs are a real bargain, too.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

Steve - I looked at that website and I think DogmaDog is right - Langdon's guns w/that speedbump trigger are stricltly open/Limited/L10 - not allowed in production. Are there any other gunsmiths doing triggers?

Ernest was kind enough to send me Amisdon's reply on the speed bump when another of his customers inquired:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 7:26 AM

To: jeff@skunkabilly.com

Subject: Re: Production Equipment Question

In a message dated 4/24/02 12:07:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jeff@skunkabilly.com writes:

Thanks for the quick reply John.  I'm still a tiny bit confused: as for my LTT 'speedbump' trigger, that is NOT allowed for production, right?

I believe that I replied to that as it is allowed, the rules state that

action work to enhance reliability (throating, trigger work, etc.) is

allowed, that would included replacing the trigger.

This is going in the range bag...

SA

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

Wilson makes holsters for the brigadier slide (Elite and Elite II), and the speed bump trigger from Langdon is OK for production (although I bet that's a contentious issue in the future!).  Also, Langdon does trigger jobs without the speed bump trigger, so that is an option, too.  

Thanks for setting me straight, gents!

DD

Glad to hear it! Thnaks for clearing that up as I shoot a Glock w/ the Glockmeister trigger with the overtravel-stop & was concerned it would not be allowed, but apparently, that would be OK. Was also considering the aluminum Glock tiggers, which also are apparently legal from your post.  DVC, C.  

Carlos,

I had an Al trigger in my G-34 for about 2 years.  Eventually trigger pins started breaking and the problem stopped when I switched back to the factory Glock trigger.  Also, the Al trigger can really heat up during an extended range session.  I was getting sick of having to wait for my trigger to cool off.

Here it is again...as an RO I needed confirmation:

Subj: Re: Speedbump  

Date: 2/4/03 4:32:19 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: VLucchetti

Hi Vince,

I can see where someone would be confused, there were several

emails, it started out talking just about the LLC trigger, of course

we all know what that is.:-), my reply was that trigger work was

allowed, a few days later, another email, again with the LLC, but

this time, speedbump was added, I again replied that trigger work

was allowed.

Some time later, someone sent me a link showing the speedbump

trigger and asked if this was legal, of course the trigger replacement

is, but with the external modification, it is not.

I have told Langdon in emails, that I do not have authority to overrule

the rule book, and if an email was misleading or misinterpreted, the

rules are still the rules, and that is, no external modifications other

than sights allowed.

So in closing, and to make it perfectly clear, the speedbump trigger

in Production division, is not legal at this time.

John