Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome Or Tuned Mags?

North

I'm getting ready to order my Edge in .40. My budget is limiting me to either getting the tuned mags or hardchrome. I just can't do both right now.

I'm thinking the hardchrome (Dawson super tuned) http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0001-1155331048

; stock mags with the dawson basepad. I can allways get my mags tuned latter if needed.

or a stock edge with a Brazos upgrade package one, with 4 tuned mags. http://www.brazoscustom.com/peakperfpkg.htm

Help.

thanks

Edited by North

My thoughts:

Go with the untuned magazines first. Put the extra money into ammo. Then as dollars allow assuming tuned magazines are still desired, replace the magazines and designate the stock magazines for practice only.

You might get lucky and find that you do not necessarily need tuned magazines. Shucks, I went for years never even hearing of "tuned" magazines.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

If a tuned mag means getting a 20 round mag thats reloadable and untuned means getting a 19 round mag thats reloadable....I'll take the un-tuned ones.

I bought my STI Edge from Dawson back in May....bought the parts for 3 magazines (Dawson basepads and followers, ISMI spring) and just recently had the gun hardchromed by Virgil. I decided to wait on the hardchrome just in case I decided to do something externally to the gun (which it turns out I did'nt).

You need equipment that works, period, regardless of finish, regardless of one, ten or a dozen extra rounds.

Pretty guns, as Matt points out, aren't what win. Stone cold reliable guns do. And a reliable gun is only as reliable as its mags. If your new blaster chokes or your 22 rounder gags, the extra shine and the extra rounds won't do anything to help you make up the lost time.

I've read good advice on other threads here to the effect that you might want to get the gun, shoot it, and tune/upgrade it for reliability, as needed, before getting it chromed. And you might want to put money into the mags, making sure they run 100%, regardless of capacity, before spending on cosmetics anyway.

Just another two cents worth.

kevin c

I second the motion above. You really only need two tuned mags if you are trying to save a few bucks. A blued gun is not that fragile...I have shot mine in the rain several times and just needed to give a bit of extra care after it was over. If the gun loosens up a little you can have it coated or chromed to tighten it up later. Besides I like looking over a black gun.

My thoughts:

Go with the untuned magazines first. Put the extra money into ammo. Then as dollars allow assuming tuned magazines are still desired, replace the magazines and designate the stock magazines for practice only.

You might get lucky and find that you do not necessarily need tuned magazines. Shucks, I went for years never even hearing of "tuned" magazines.

Bill

Ill plus one! I have 7 STI mags (40), 6 SV (4-140) & (2-170) major 9. The 40 mags hold 20 and the 170 major 9 hold 29 all run 100% I have tweeked here and there but all the info is on this forum.

Get the blued EDGE and untuned mags. Buy plenty of ammo and practice and let the gun break in. Tune the mags yourself. Debur the inside of the feed lips and throw the mag bodies in a tumbler with some walnut media and later replace the guts with Grams spring and follower when the stock ones wear out. I have tuned mags and untuned mags and cannot tell the differnece in reliability or capacity. Break the gun in well and when it shows some wear,send it to Tripp or Robar. I mention Robar because their finish is extremely tough,and lubricious. I had a carry gun refinished in Roguard last year and carry it every day. Still no holster wear. The original finish was the same as the blued Edge and it was worn badly from drawing and holster wear. Roguard is very durable. got kind of a nice satin finish to it.

TUNED MAGS!

Unless you already have them and they work with 19 rounds all the time...

Too many folks have guns that don't run 100% and spend money on the wrong things.

Fix the gun, mags, and ammo to get 100% then go make the gun pretty or weather resistant.

I shoot all blued guns and use oil for "surface preservation" if needed in inclement weather (we shoot steel in the rain!)

I have 17 .40 mags of both STI & SV manufacture. Most work in any of the guns but occassionally one gun will be finicky with a mag. Some are set up for 20 but most are set up for 19 and 100% reliabilty. I don't load with 20 unless I just have to for a stage that requires it.

Hello: You may want to look at the Eagle as well since it is lighter. You will also be able to shoot it for IDPA and USPSA. You can tune the mags yourself with all the info on this site. I would leave the pistol blued till you get all the bugs out and fit it to your hands. I built my own 2011 and found I had to file here and there so it felt better in my hands. It is also a little looser now and is wearing in great. It will go to Tripp next month. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Never had an STI magazine (or stock Edge for that matter) that would run 100% w/o significant tuning. And re-tuning - keep an eye on the feed lip specs as listed on ISMI spring package inserts. Dropping them during a match or dry fire practice knocks them out of tune pretty quick.

I think everyone has different experiences with S_I mags that aren't tuned. Some have luck with one and not the other while its the opposite for many. I purchased 3 new SV mags and it looked like someone stepped on them. I couldn't even get basepads (dawson or grams) on 2 of them and sent them back.

The three untuned STI mags that I've purchased were 100% out of the box.

Long story short, it seems to be hit or miss with the mags.

If it were me, I would get the chromed Edge Plus from Brazos with a couple of tuned mags from Bob. (You'll have a total of 3 mags cause the gun comes with a 126mm.) If you need more than that for a stage, I have no doubt that someone wouldn't mind loaning you one for the stage.

Getting the gun in blue and chroming it later is always an option but it's expensive sending it back in paying for shipping, etc. I just sent an open gun back for HC. It was $77 for insured overnight shipping and it'll cost $270. Not even sure if that covers the shipping back to me or not...

Edited by al503

North,

I shoot with you up in alamo L2683.

Just get the edge with the reliability package...It's worth it... Buy as many mags as you can get. they'll run just fine...As funds become available, upgrade to better basepads, followers, etc.

Get the gun hardchromed later when its broken in.

stock edge with untuned mags. If you have a shooter friend that can give you some tips to tune your own mags without spending that extra money that would be great. Make sure you have good reliable feeding with those bullets(good crimping, get the under size die sold by EGW, ream/ throat barrel or feed tune up /polish and so-on) Also, make sure look for burs on the lips of the mags and try to get rid of those with some filing/or smoothing it out. Goodluck