Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My son is going on a pig hunt going to be shooting probably inside of 50 yds. Anyone out there ever shot one with a 45 acp? I am concerned about penetration of the hide with a 900 fps load.

Thanks

i've never hunted pigs, but i think the .45 acp will be way under power.

lynn

I posted a thread a while back asking if .38 Super w/ a 147 XTP at huge PF would be enough and was advised against it. For little pigs, maybe, but not reliably on anything bigger than, well.. little.

.44 Mag would be a good choice, from the sound of it - or bigger magnum class handguns. Or reasonable rifle calibers...

If the .45 happens to be a S&W 625, then it can handle .45 Super w/o modification and THAT .45 should be enough for pigs. A friend shot pigs in Fla some time back w/ 12 gauge slugs. Those were a bit TOO much for the poor little piggies (made a mess of things so I was told).

My son is going on a pig hunt going to be shooting probably inside of 50 yds. Anyone out there ever shot one with a 45 acp? I am concerned about penetration of the hide with a 900 fps load. Thanks

Have had good results with a S&W M57 .41 magnum.

.45 ACP is not a very good hunting round even with a HP as the velocity is way low for penetration on a tough critter.

.44 mag would be a good handgun choice stoked with a 240 at 1500 fps +, or even a 300 grainer at 1300 fps +

Depends on the size of the hog. A big one might spit a .45 acp back at you...unless you can tickle the inside of his ear with it. .45 Colt with Buffalo Bore handles them nicely, as does the .41 and .44 mag mentioned above.

I have killed numerous pigs, with numerous calibers, and sharp pointy sticks. A 45acp, 230gr, jhp @ 800 to 900fps, will do an admirable job, on a pig up to 200lbs. A very good factory load, to try would be Federals 230 Hydrashok. Hunters using dogs, have taken hogs with 22mag, revolvers simply by hitting them in the earhole, (leads to brain). There is only about 6" of hog at that point (broadside) any decent 45 acp load will penetrate that far. My recommendation would be to keep your shots inside 50yds, preferably 40yds, and if the hog is big aim for the earhole, it has also been suggested to alternate JHP/FMJ/JHP/FMJ throughout the magazine, I've never done this, or needed to. Much has been speculated and discussed by armchair hunters about the armor of a hog, choose a good bullet with plenty of weight, and your gun will do its job if you do yours.

Trapr

Here in Florida, cover is thick, and getting close is easy if you are a good stalker, and isn't that what hunting is really all about anyway?

.45 is fine if you are at close range. I am a bow hunter, so close range to me is closer than most of you would even attempt :) Close to me is 10 yards :) I once got one from 4 yards, and NO, I was not in a tree stand, I like to hunt from the ground. But I am a sneaky sumbitch :D

Pigs don't see well, but the do smell and hear VERY well, so use that to your advantage. Play the game, see how close you can get. It is more fun that way. If you don't get one, not the end of the world, you had fun and most likely learned something about stalking that will make you better next time.

BTW, my best stalk ever was on a Oseola Turkey, 17 yards shot with my bow!!!

Z man

A blind hog can find an acorn sometimes... :lol::P;)

hmm! i believe i remember the z-man stalking and killing a LION! with a bow.

correct me it i'm wrong.

lynn

You are correct!!! I have video proof :D And a Cape Buffalo too, also on video :D

Hogs vary greatly in size, many are over 300lbs. Especially ones that feed in the orange groves. Most will be under 200.

Pigs don't like you being on their trails. The will snort and make a lot of noise if they smell or hear you. They will also chase you. trust me even a little tusker will slit your leg open in flash. If they get you down your in trouble

The redneck he-man method is to use your dog and corner one in the palmetto brush then you walk in and shoot him at point blank range.

Wasn't there a clark gable movie about young boy hunting a big boar? That scene was pretty realistic.

I got one that way, but by accident. Two of us were out walking the trails looking for turkey, I had my mini-14 and other fella had his browning shotgun. Well our dogs decide it would be nice to run this boar over to us. Now the odds of calling the dogs off was nill, and after watching for awhile I figured one of dogs was going to get cut sooner or later. I had a scope which made the gun useless for aiming, you would get to see a flash of dog and flash of the pig. I didn't want to shoot either dog. So I tried to approach the boar from behind figuring the dogs would keep his attention. Of course the dogs saw me coming and thought oh boy well bring the hog to you! So I was lucky and point shot two 223 rounds into his back between the shoulders from maybe 5/6 feet and down he went. We weren't equiped to clean or drag him back so we just slid him into the pond and Gators came out and had lunch.

Pigs will also travel in packs, and I've gone up some trees to get away from them. If you come across a tusker move away at 90 degrees to his trail put a tree between you and him and keep your eyes on him. He might make a charge or two at you but then will usually give up and move on. No guarantees, just like with gators.

My son is going on a pig hunt going to be shooting probably inside of 50 yds. Anyone out there ever shot one with a 45 acp? I am concerned about penetration of the hide with a 900 fps load.

Thanks

It all depends on how and where you're hunting and what your preference and skills are.

If you're good enough, and will be hunting from some kind of safe platform, a vehicle, tree stand, or anything else that keeps you and a really mad hog separated, you can kill them with anything from a .22 on up. I know several people that used to hunt them from Jeeps with .22 magnums. A .357 magnum is a good choice under these conditions and is the minimum I, personally, would consider. Of course, the .41 and .44 magnums already mentioned are good choices too. I used to carry a Marlin .357 lever action rifle and a S&W Model 19 .357 revolver for this kind of hunting.

If you're going to be on the ground, where you're at risk from a really annoyed hog, I don't recommend a .45 ACP. It takes a well placed shot to reliably stop a good sized hog with a .45 and, if you're rushed, or the angle is bad, a well placed shot may not happen. A healthy hog can be dangerous. Nobody wants to tangle with a wounded one. Again, I'd opt for the .41 or .44 magnums or, if you prefer an autoloader, a full power .10 mm. For hogs, I prefer JSP bullets, when available, to JHPs. They combine good penetration, which you often need with a hog, with good expansion provided the velocity is high enough, which it would be with the calibers mentioned.

Good luck and be sure to tell us how the hunt came out. Pictures are always nice.

Lee

Not to get into war stories, but...

My friends took to using dogs for a period of time, I was out of town when they got this great idea, but anyway....

They had a catch dog, who would grab the pig by an ear and then they would go in with a knife and kill the pig. Both of them had done it, as well as get treed by a very large pig on another occasion while I was out of town. So, I get back after my 5 week trip and they start tellin' me of their escapades. NOW my manhood gets brought into question when I tell them I am not gonna do that, as I think it is crazy. BUT, not being one to like his manhood questioned, I did it. It is NOT a smart thing to do!!! If that dog lets go, you are gonna get hurt. And stickin' a pig with a knife is a scary proposition.

Suffice to say, it was a 1 and done thing!!!

NEVER again.

Here in Florida, cover is thick, and getting close is easy if you are a good stalker, and isn't that what hunting is really all about anyway?

.45 is fine if you are at close range. I am a bow hunter, so close range to me is closer than most of you would even attempt :) Close to me is 10 yards :) I once got one from 4 yards, and NO, I was not in a tree stand, I like to hunt from the ground. But I am a sneaky sumbitch :D

Pigs don't see well, but the do smell and hear VERY well, so use that to your advantage. Play the game, see how close you can get. It is more fun that way. If you don't get one, not the end of the world, you had fun and most likely learned something about stalking that will make you better next time.

You're not only a sneaky sumbitch, you're a crazy one. I used to bow hunt too. I still have my bow, but haven't taken it out in years. At my best, I did not stalk hogs with a bow in the swamps of S. Florida. That's what tree stands, or buggies, were made for.

Lee

Edited by Lee Bell

You're not only a sneaky sumbitch, you're a crazy one. I used to bow hunt too. I still have my bow, but haven't taken it out in years. At my best, I did not talk hogs with a bow in the swamps of S. Florida. That's what tree stands, or buggies, were made for.

Lee

LMAO

Yeah, I probably am a bit crazy, but lets face, I did many a hog hunt, with NO sidearm before I took on Africa's best!!!

I would NEVER bring a gun on a pig hunt, and I only hunt them from the ground.

Besides the Turkey, I have taken 4 deer from the ground stalking too.

Sneaky, yeah, dats me!!!!

Well he took his 45 XD out and took one that weighed approx. 800 lbs, the first shot did bounce off of the skull which caused a little excitement but he got it down and it's now in the smoke house. Thanks guys for the advice and stories.

Well he took his 45 XD out and took one that weighed approx. 800 lbs, the first shot did bounce off of the skull which caused a little excitement but he got it down and it's now in the smoke house. Thanks guys for the advice and stories.

:) Was that his first hunt? 'Bounced Off his Skull' well nice shot. Congrats

A 45 with good loads and heavy slow expanding bullet will be fine.

My brother drops out of trees on top of them with a big knife :blink: Has the scars to prove its nuts.

I have killed pigs with spear, bow and from a little Ruger 22 to a beasty 45-70.

They are harder to skin than kill. Between the worms & the smell I wonder why I do it?