Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Scopes For 3 Gun

Kimberkid

I am looking for low powered variables to put on a tactical division AR. Considering the cost of the popular, well made scopes, I am perusing the lower end options and seeing if they are even worth it. To those in the know, please rank the following brands from best to worst, and any notes if any of those mentioned arent worth wasting the minimal cost (all under $100) on. I havent even heard of some of these brands and am hoping to find a diamond in the rough.

-Tasco 1.5-4.5x32

-Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32

-BSA 1.5-4.5x32

-Simmons 1.5-5x32

-Swift 1.5-4.5x21

-Konus 1.5-5x32

-Alpen Kodiak 1.5-5x32

-Barska 1.5-6x42

btw.... is it true that on these low powered variables, the bigger the objective, the better? Is 32mm or 42mm substantially better than 20mm?

Thanks for your help, this entire process is getting frustrating.

Kimberkid I just purchased a Tasco 1.5-4.5x 32mm Pro-Shot Reticle scope a couple of weeks ago mounted it on my Model 1 stainless upper and it works great for a cheep scope it really surprised me on the clarity the way it tracked everything is so far so good. The Parallax is set for 75 yards instead of 50 like most of the scopes you listed. Good luck

btw.... is it true that on these low powered variables, the bigger the objective, the better? Is 32mm or 42mm substantially better than 20mm?

the 32mm will have less field of view than the 20mm

I have the Simmons 1.5-5 in both variations and the 32mm will only be used on the squirel .22 rifle.

I got the Bushnell Banner 1-4x32. It will hold zero. It has noticable distortion around the edges. It is not true 1x, more like 1.25x. I gave ~$65 at Natchez Shooters Supply for it, I think it is worth that. I hear if you can find the Weaver V3 for ~$150, it is a much better scope. I will probably get that later after I collect the rest of my 3 gun kit.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't do it.... save up and spend a little more and get a better scope. Optics are everything expecially on a rifle. If you can't see it your can't hit it.

+1

Much better to spend more on the scope. You have to figure you will be running, diving to prone, you want your optics to be able to stay up to the task. Save the $ and get a good scope.

I use a TA-11, I used to have the simmons. It is as good as everybody said. In the under 200 catagory it is the winner hands down! Gotta find one used though, as they don't make them any more.

Thanks guys,

It hurt, but I dropped the money and bought an Eotech. Another forum member also offered me a Pentax 1.5-5 that I am gonna test ride and possibly buy from him. Any of the local 3 gun matches I might shoot locally rarely venture beyond 100 yards, and usually stay inside 75, so I think the Eotech will probably be my best set up.

Good choice. I've got one on my tactical AR and you would have to look long and hard to find something better for most shots within 100 yards. The advantage of the low power variable scope comes into play for the 200 yard shots and beyond or the upper A/B at 75-100 yds.