Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags For 9mm Open Gun

turbocomp38s

I have talked to a couple for Smiths and have recommended SV's instead of ST's due to you don't have to tinker. Unlike with the ST- you have to install a metal or plastic insert for the bullet to fit. I have not had any experience on this 'coz I'm still debating myself if I want to build a new open in 9mm or stay with 38 super. Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help. Merry X'mas and Happy New year in advance.

DVC.

Been a happy camper with the 9mm change over. I use only SV mags.... That said I bought a couple of the STI kits with the spacer and different follower as I also had some STI mags. I called STI and asked if they made the kits for the 170mm mags and was supprized.... I was told I DIDN'T need the kits????? Go figure...SO why do they sell them???? I have found that I can run up to a 1.200 OAL if I use Mont. Gold 124 R. Nose, and the EGW "U" die. (I usually shorten this up a bit BUT I've not had any problems). I would recomend these bullets... I've not found any other brand that I can run this long without chamber/bullet interferance. (I just picked up some Armscor 124 R Nose, they look like they will be fine also) The gun I have digests just about anything and I only change the recoil spring when shooting 140 PF steel loads. I always come home with more brass than I've shot....kind of nice! I did have 2 case seperations with IMR 7625 loaded to 171/173 PF and have stopped loading that to major. My 02.

Edited by mike NM

I have one SV big stick, one STI bigstick and 5 or 6 STI 140mm mags. All the STI mags were tuned and had a metal spacer welded in by Beven Grams, they have run flawlessly. The SV big stick runs flawlessly too.

I mainly run SV mags with metal spacers and Grams guts (9mm followers with attached springs).

Note that there are two issues for 9mm in hi-cap mags - the length of the round, and the configuration of the "sidewalls" of the mag. A spacer at the back of the mag deals with the length of the round, and there are a variety of spacers that work with either SV or STI tubes.

But the reason I prefer the SV tubes instead of the STI ones is because of the way the sides of the mag are formed. On the STIs, the "ribs" do not run all the way to the bottom of the tube, and because of the way the rounds stack, it is possible to have a round "catch" on the bottom of the ribs, which turns your mag into a salt-shaker. That's Bad.

There are some ways you can "fix" that with STI tubes, such as the Arredondo spacer, which has a side piece with "fingers" that fill the space at the bottom of those channels. I've used them and they work. But, I prefer the SV tubes because the shape of the SV tubes doesn't have that problem, and I like having "one less thing that can go wrong after the beep"

$.02

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

After getting my first SVI tube, I started wondering how much work it would be to "convert" my STI tubes to such a nice shiney surface inside and out. I threw the STI's into my vibrator using corn cob media and set it for 8 hours. Viola, can't tell the difference between the SVI and "new" STI's. Simple solution with virtually no effort (that's for me).

GRINS

I switched over my STI tubes to Grams follower/spring kit with the metal spacer in the back. Now my 11 STI Mags run like raped ape, no complaints and it beats the crap out of replacing the soft STI followers 2-3x a season.......I did the math, it was cheaper to buy the grams guts and the spacer than to replace the STI factory parts 2x a year..... ;)

If I could find SVIs I would buy some, but doing this it is easy to order the tubes and goodies from Grams and put them together!

Regards,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...