Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Targets

Jack Suber

Question for Match Directors - Where do you buy your targets? I am the MD for our Sectional Match this year so I am starting to look around. I thought I would test the waters with targets for our Toys for Tots Match before and then place my order for the sectional match. If you were ordering 800 targets and 70K pasters, where do you buy?

In recent months, I have been to several matches that had targets in which the perfs were very faint and almost non-existent. I want to avoid that with our match. Have any of you run into these? If so, could you PM me about them - where you got them? I don't want to order 800 targets for my match, get them the week of the match, and find out the perfs are not very clear.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

MGM has great pricing, but whatever you do, don't order less than a month or two before you need them because they sell out so often.

I've had good service from Alco. Very helpful and will call you back promptly if there's a problem.

And I've seen the faint perf issue recently, but the Alco targets I just bought are excellent.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This is my first attempt at being an MD. Of course, I have great staff so I can worry about the minor details - like perfs on targets. I plan to order well in advance so that I can return the lot if they are not of good quality. I still would like to know where the bad ones came from. Thanks again.

With all the talk about the light perfs i wanted to inject something here. When we first starting making targets the factory was doing the white on the smooth side of the cardboard. There is a smooth and liney side. Everybody they have ever dealt with wanted the white on the smooth side. This meant the perfs were on the liney side which made the perfs hard to see. Last year we corrected that and now the perfs are on the smooth side and allot easier to see. The specifications for the targets say the perfs should not be able to be seen at a certain distance, i think 7yards. So there is a point when the perfs can be too deep. I shot several matches back in the 90's where the targets were cut so deep they were falling apart. I dont know if the targets referred to are my old ones or if they are somebody elses. I know there are a couiple makers who have really thin targets that are a littel cheaper than mine. Its just whatever you are looking for.

I miss the really thin targets from Hotshots, I think, mostly for storage issues though. For the past two years, my club's gotten their targets from Shooters Connection --- who's price, quality and service are hard to beat. A thousand targets seem to last us through 15-16 monthly club matches.....

Jack,

I seem to remember that a couple of target manufacturers sponsored the 2002 Area 8 Factory Gun and Race Gun matches with some kind of a target donation. Might be something to consider for your sectional.....

I miss the really thin targets from Hotshots, I think, mostly for storage issues though. For the past two years, my club's gotten their targets from Shooters Connection --- who's price, quality and service are hard to beat. A thousand targets seem to last us through 15-16 monthly club matches.....

Jack,

I seem to remember that a couple of target manufacturers sponsored the 2002 Area 8 Factory Gun and Race Gun matches with some kind of a target donation. Might be something to consider for your sectional.....

Thanks for the feedback. I am just worried because the targets we used at our section the year before last were really disappointing. It seemed the left side of the targets' perfs were almost not there. We really had a tough time seeing the perfs and that resulted in the scoring of each competitor taking a little longer. they still are showing up at club matches. So, since I am responsible for it this year, I wanted to make sure ahead of time.

I have also learned that there are some "good" pasters and "not so good" pasters. I really like Target Barns pasters. Hot Shots did have really good targets. They provided targets for our first T4T match back in 2001 and I believe for a couple of State Matches. It was convenient since they were here in South Carolina. Too bad they went away.

Just for information purposes. I was so tired of paster boxes jamming up and having to rip them open to use them that i made sure when we produced pasters that it wouldnt happen with ours. Problem is its hard to get people to break the habit of just tearing them open from the start. So we started just doing the rolls with no box. For matches this is very cost effective. instead of having complete boxes floating around and needing one box for every shooter you can lay out one roll at a time and the shooters just tear off strips as they need them. It really reduces the amount of pasters used in a match and they are cheaper than the boxes.

We use 3/4" tape. Very low waste factor. The pasters, for us, seem to have a high waste factor. Lots of strips of paper flying around and many of them with 3-4 pasters still attached.

Strange, people can figure out how to do their own gunsmithing, but the complexity of a cardboard box is beyond them.

Jim

Jack,

The targets for the 2002 Area 8 Race Gun match came from Hotshots. I really hate those thin targets. If you have a rainy match, even with bags on the targets, the heads get limp and bend over easily. We tryed the MGM targets once, targets are cheaper but shipping is a killer. Also these targets are thin cardboard (floppy head syndrome) and you need to double them on swingers or they come loose because they are too thin. Also, the perfs on the MGM targets were very difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Dave Zimmerman at Target Barn has supplied us with targets for several area matches as well as our local match targets. If you contact Dave, he might be able to meet you somewhere during one of his delivery trips and save you the shipping costs. Great guy to deal with and good quality targets.

Larry

Jack,

The targets for the 2002 Area 8 Race Gun match came from Hotshots. I really hate those thin targets. If you have a rainy match, even with bags on the targets, the heads get limp and bend over easily. We tryed the MGM targets once, targets are cheaper but shipping is a killer. Also these targets are thin cardboard (floppy head syndrome) and you need to double them on swingers or they come loose because they are too thin. Also, the perfs on the MGM targets were very difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Dave Zimmerman at Target Barn has supplied us with targets for several area matches as well as our local match targets. If you contact Dave, he might be able to meet you somewhere during one of his delivery trips and save you the shipping costs. Great guy to deal with and good quality targets.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give Dave a call.

Jack

I just did a random check of a box of 100 targets I received from Chuck a couple of weeks ago. Man, if you can't see those perfs, you shouldn't be aiming a loaded weapon at anything. :P:lol:

Edited by XD Niner

Jack --

The 'light perf' targets came from Henry Swartout -- he had some problems with the guy who was supplying his cardboard & I am not sure why the batch we got had light perfs (I'm real sure where they came from because I wrote the check :rolleyes: )

They were not the usual targets we had from him -- he sent an initial small order (so that we could paint hardcover targets in advance) and brought the rest to the match the day prior to shooting starting. At that point it was too late to replace them.

Sorry for jumping in to this thread late, but I am currently up to my eyeballs in paperwork at the Ft Benning 3 Gun :ph34r:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

temporarily in Columbus GA

Edited by LChico

I've been getting them from Chuck and they are nothing like the "batch from hell". The paster box is different and kind of better, but us simple shooters can't be trusted with boxes, so the rolls are what I've been getting.

Alco is good, but the shipping is high to SC if I remember correctly.

I miss the thin targets from Hotshots too.

Jack --

The 'light perf' targets came from Henry Swartout -- he had some problems with the guy who was supplying his cardboard & I am not sure why the batch we got had light perfs (I'm real sure where they came from because I wrote the check :rolleyes: )

They were not the usual targets we had from him -- he sent an initial small order (so that we could paint hardcover targets in advance) and brought the rest to the match the day prior to shooting starting. At that point it was too late to replace them.

Sorry for jumping in to this thread late, but I am currently up to my eyeballs in paperwork at the Ft Benning 3 Gun :ph34r:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

temporarily in Columbus GA

Thanks, Linda. I'll touch base with you next week. Good luck this weekend. Hope the weather is holding out.

Jack