Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can SVI mags fit into a STI pistol?

shooterx10

The frame dimensions and design are identical and all parts are interchangable.  I have one of each frame and both STI & SV magazines that readily interchange.  Complete SV guns have some features that are not offered on STI guns, like interchangable breechfaces, but all of the other parts like Tri-glide will readily fit into an STI.  

Leo

• 4 years later...

Hey all,

Just wondering if anything has changed since the last post here in 2002. I'm particularly interested in hearing if anyone has tried the 170mm SVI mag for .45 in his or her STI, although I know that's probably a long shot.

The only difference between a 140mm mag and a 170mm mag is the length. The shape of the mag that fits into the gun is identical for all length mags.

While I already knew what the answer would be, I tested one of my SV .45 magazines in an STI gun and it fit perfectly. It obviously also fits in an SV too.

Nothing has changed from the time of the older posts.

What Shooter Grrl experienced had nothing to do with the brand of the guns and was likely something wrong with her particular gun.

Edited by L9X25

I suspect the mag catch in the sti holds the mag slightly lower in the grip than the svi. I have several sti/svi open guns and certain mags work with one and not the other. I think it is the slight differences and tolerance stacking working against you. I had 1 sti 170 that ran perfectly with 28(run super not supercomp) for a season, then the spring started failing and I replaced the spring, but it never ran correctly with 28 in that gun again, with 27 it was fine. Also some big sticks run perfectly with 29 others with 28 even after the Beven treatment. You just have to accept that certain mags want to run a certain way and live with it. If you have plenty of mags and you have 1 that runs 29 great, and the others wont, then Identify what they will run with and adapt.

Aren't the frames from both STI and SVI made under the same patent?

Yes - though that patent was never filed internationally, which is why there are similar guns made by SPS in Spain and possibly Imbel in Brazil.

Although those foreign frames are not yet imported into the US because of the patent, I believe that the design patent originally filed by S_I is set to expire in 2007 or 2008, at which time there should be more competition in the market and better prices for the custom smiths (and for us shooters). B)

Ok, so now that I've gone ahead and bought the SVI 170mm mag in .45 (because STI doesn't offer one), what are the odds that it works? In other words, if there are interoperability problems, about how often do they occur?

Ok, so now that I've gone ahead and bought the SVI 170mm mag in .45 (because STI doesn't offer one), what are the odds that it works? In other words, if there are interoperability problems, about how often do they occur?

Personally...... I have both brands of mags, both brands of guns and have never had any problem with interchangeability. Never. :)

FWIW, I have an STI single stack grip for a 2011 that I shot with an Eagle 5.0 for a while (cheap mags that ran for idpa CDP). Sold the STI and kept the grip frame & mags, have since tried the grip on my SV, and the mags are extremely hard to seat. So, I would say the mag catch maybe a bit higher than an STI.

• 5 years later...

Looks like it's time to update this specific thread:

When, exactly, did SV go to their new style magazine? Other threads have mentioned mods to get the SV mag to run in the STI, but will opening up the mag catch hole render the SV unsuitable for use in SV guns?

And what about old style SVs with the polymer grip? Are the new SV mags compatible the older guns?

There are definite differences in grip architecture which aren't mentioned here. When I replaced my older SV grip with a new sti grip, the SV mags became much harder to seat and most wouldn't drop free anymore. But, they did all still work to some extent.

• 2 weeks later...