Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheapo Range Bag By Midway

AustinMike

has anyone had problem with the shoulder strap on the midway bag. I got one as a gift (Wanted chucks but got in instead). When I am transporting from house to truck or truck to range the shoulder strap will loosen up and drop the bod position below my knees and it tries to trip me up. I noticed the metal support in the center of the strap is flimsy so it is probably flexing, or maybe I just carry too much stuff?

Actually this is the one complaint I have with the SC bag. It doesn't happen all at onces, but over time the strap loosens on it's own and I have to give it a quick adjust. Just a FYI.

Edited by JThompson

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use the shoulder strap anyway since the bag goes in a baby stroller and if I had Chuck's bag I would need a wagon. Got this lady shooter at the local club that has Chuck's bag and I am amazed watching her carry it from stage to stage.

If you get an Eagle Creek shoulder strap (about $20), it's very nicely padded, adjustment doesn't slip, doesn't slip off your shoulder and it'll last through several bags.

Our shoulder strap is the best. I have had people buy them to put on their golf bags. JIm if you have one that is slipping let me know. I have not had one other report of our slipping at all.

If you get an Eagle Creek shoulder strap (about $20), it's very nicely padded, adjustment doesn't slip, doesn't slip off your shoulder and it'll last through several bags.

Our shoulder strap is the best. I have had people buy them to put on their golf bags. JIm if you have one that is slipping let me know. I have not had one other report of our slipping at all.

I didn't mean to say your strap was bad, sorry if I stepped on your toes. I was just saying that no matter what bag I get, I really like the Eagle Creek strap.

BTW, in your e-mail to me, you said you were getting more bags in December, will it be in time for Christmas?

<_< Chucks bags are great ! I have one that is 1 1/2 years old it has ?? over 12,000 miles on it and over 35 matches on it.

As far as your -Other - bags watch out for the shoulder strap !popping! off and dumping your gun/ guns on the ground. Ground as in concrete ground. Been there don that after traveling 1,400 miles to get to the shoot. One end of the strap broke and slung the bag on the ground like a sledge hammer. :blink:

I Have used Chucks strap to hold my dog = in a pinch and it worked and still works great.

I've been using Chucks bag since October 2002 without any problems. The corners are just starting to wear. I couldn't tell you how many miles are on this bag since I shoot all year. You can look at my classifiers on the USPSA site to see all the matches this bag has been to. TY44905.

I estimate 141 classifiers so I know it has to be over 100 matches.

Edited by Thomas Moore if posible

I didn't mean to say your strap was bad, sorry if I stepped on your toes. I was just saying that no matter what bag I get, I really like the Eagle Creek strap.

BTW, in your e-mail to me, you said you were getting more bags in December, will it be in time for Christmas?

I looked at the eagle creek and it is similar to ours so I can see why you like it so much. I have 4 colors in stock. i am out of 2 colors and hope to have them all by december. The border patrol bought the last of the black ones. If you are lucky you might find a black one at Chris's, Brownells, Midway or Dawson. They all have orders in for black ones though so they may all be out by now.

When i first started shooting i was using a tool box as my range bag. Now i got an Uncle Mikes range bag and it is working great. Simple, nice pockets, A little small for probably the more competitive shooter but a great bag for starting out at least. Around 45 bucks too.

If someone orders one, I want to see it... I kind of doubt, after seeing bags by Hafner, Green Mountain, Dillon, etc - and the way they're priced - that someone could undercut Chuck by that much and build a bag of that quality... This might be one of those "they should charge more so people take it seriously" kind of things, but... I kind of doubt this is a "hard use" bag, like Chuck's is....

A friend of mine ordered one of these and it "looks" good new. We'll see how it holds up. I"ve had a Shooters Connection bag a little almost 2 years and it is like new.

To fix the Midway bag strap - adjust it to the length you use, take it off and sew it or have it sewn. This can be donw on a common household sewing machine or take it to a place that repairs shoes/boots or luggage.

Chuck needs to design a cool shooting backpack. There's lots of room to improve on the CED and the Guga Ribas is built well, but just plain huge.

Now your talkin'....

DaG

How about adding backpack straps to the SC bag?

Edited by DaG

Let's reflect on this some... Midway's range bag is a $30 knockoff of Shooters Connection bag. Repeat: $30. It is similar in features and dimensions but not in quality of materials and construction. We shouldn't compare the two.

I have both. When the Midway bag breaks, if irreparable, it goes in the garbage. Easy.

• 1 month later...
Looks like it comes from the same factories in China that the Uncle Mikes and Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED) bags come from. Dillon bags also came from those factories until they went with a US company a few years ago also.

I toured one of those Chinese factories in Guangzhou a few years ago when we were looking at vendors for a quick rifle case project. The stuff we looked at was high quality and had qc, just real, real cheap labor is what sets the price. No idea on the quality of this bag as the chinese will make it according to the specs you give them, good or bad.

We eventually went local with our maker for quite a few reasons that are probably best talked about in another thread.

Does anybody know for sure if the Shooter's Connection bag is made by CED? This was mentioned in a thread I've got regarding the differences in quality between the CED and the SC bag.

OK, rumors dispelled here. The SC bag is not the CED bag, but both bags are made in China and brokered by the same agent. Chuck's bag is made to Chuck's specs. He gets a sample for every lot, looks it over, cuts it up, checks the materials, and makes sure he is able to deliver the same product year after year.

Mine has made the trip to the range three times a week now for a few months with no issues/complaints. A couple guys at the range have had them quite a while... dirty as hell, but still holding up well.

I have a feeling this is Midway's calling card, or promotional product they don't make a dime on, designed to get your foot in the door. Lots of companies do this... "jeez, as long as I have to pay shipping on this, what else do I need?" A nice big tangible item with all the bells and whistles every shooter needs/wants at a "how do I not buy this thing price?" Marketing 101. Worked on me.

I bought two more that we use for weekend getaways. One makes a great camera bag... cameras, camcorders, video tape, batteries, etc.

Does anybody know for sure if the Shooter's Connection bag is made by CED? This was mentioned in a thread I've got regarding the differences in quality between the CED and the SC bag.

Odd how my comments were misconstrued. I in no way made the comment that the SC bags or the Uncle Mikes bags, for that matter, were made by CED. I only referred to the fact that the lower priced Uncle Mikes and Ced bags were coming from the Guangzhou factories.

We did pick up one of the Midway bags for evaluation. For the casual shooter, it is well worth the price and hard to beat. If someone spends a lot of time at the range, buy up, you will need the durability and extra space, imo.

Odd how my comments were misconstrued. I in no way made the comment that the SC bags or the Uncle Mikes bags, for that matter, were made by CED. I only referred to the fact that the lower priced Uncle Mikes and Ced bags were coming from the Guangzhou factories.

We did pick up one of the Midway bags for evaluation. For the casual shooter, it is well worth the price and hard to beat. If someone spends a lot of time at the range, buy up, you will need the durability and extra space, imo.

I was actually referring to a response in another thread.

My thread