Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice On Shot Timers

JDBraddy

Need to choose a shot timer to use for practice drills. I have a cheap chrony, so I can live with or without that option on my timer. Wich ones do you guys reccomend, and what do you like about any particular one, over others?

CED 7000 or 8000. I have the 8000 and it is a great unit. The 7000 is newer, less expensive and much smaller so you may prefer it.

For more information on this topic, check out the Sticky thread under Gear and Accessories.

I've had a PACT timer and really liked it. Solid, easy to use, did not hog batteries. Loud. It got stolen so I had to get a new one other wise I'd still have it.

My current one is a CE Pocket Pro II like Pharaoh mentioned. I like it alot. Scroll throught shots with splits listed. First shot listed as well as total time on display. Easy to configure for PAR time. Random delay that is adjustable IIRC. I alos liek the sound of the beep.

All that said, I really like to see/hear one of the new CED 7000's.

BTW, I use an Ohler for chronograph so that's why I have regular timer.

I have five dif timers , My pack III is 17 years old and used to be my favorite. The CED 8000 has nice big ###s and you can review back 10 strings. or shooters =

You can turn it off go home and turn it back on and look at your last 10 strings shot by shot.

That is cool when it getting late and you want to reivew your practice latter.

my Old Pack III has worked over 150 events

The Competion Electronics pro timer IV = I have two and they are 14 years

The Buzzer is the best on that unit nice loud and low tone but it will not always pick up rimfire shots.

The CED 6000 is just anoying but it works fine

The Speed Timer 3000 with Score bourd is just to hard to use in a match with dif ROs

I strongly recomend the CED 8000

JF

Need to choose a shot timer to use for practice drills. I have a cheap chrony, so I can live with or without that option on my timer. Wich ones do you guys reccomend, and what do you like about any particular one, over others?

Well guys! The Pact MkIV seems to be the reference standard others are mesured by, it is manufactured by a local small buisiness right here in Texas and, it's really not that much more $$$. So, I called and placed my order yesterday, wached the Burkette video again then went out and fired about 200rnds practicing what the Leo showed me after the match last Sunday. It's hard to change how you do simple things like your grip and how you draw after all those years of doing it wrong!

CED 7000 is a great entry level timer.

CED puts their money where there mouth is in regard to support of the shooting sports. They were a recent Stage Sponsor of the 2006 Virginia State IDPA Championships. We gave away 12 CED7000s on the prize table and they were gone in a flash.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to buy a pact mk IV until I read a few people having issues about returns and long waits to get em back. I havent heard about single person actually being able to use the chrono. I havent heard about any bad CED's, and I see a lot of em at matches. I'm in the market for one of those or a pocket pro.

I was going to buy a pact mk IV until I read a few people having issues about returns and long waits to get em back. I havent heard about single person actually being able to use the chrono. I havent heard about any bad CED's, and I see a lot of em at matches. I'm in the market for one of those or a pocket pro.

Well, I may have made a poor choice again, time will tell! At least if I did, it's one I'm sure I can live with. I bought the Pact Mk IV, it arrived, and I've been playing with it. It is every bit as big as I feared it would be! The same day I recieved it, I was told my club had got some sort of deal on on a group purchase of CED-8000's and would have them available to members for around $85. Wish I'd known that before I spend my $$$$. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I may go ahead and get one at that price just so I'll have my choice, and the other available as a backup. I must say, I do like the simplicity of the Pact menu, and the adjustable volume of the buzzer! Now, I need to learn to make use of it. I'll probably start another thread for that.

• 1 month later...

New to all of this so my question may seem elementary but here goes.

When I'mat the range, I shoot out doors as well as an indoor facility, doing the practicing thing and someone is in the next lane, will the timer be confused as to which shot is mine and not the shooter next to me?

Is one timer better on this issue than another.

Thanks!

DLF in Arizona

New to all of this so my question may seem elementary but here goes.

When I'mat the range, I shoot out doors as well as an indoor facility, doing the practicing thing and someone is in the next lane, will the timer be confused as to which shot is mine and not the shooter next to me?

Is one timer better on this issue than another.

Thanks!

DLF in Arizona

Someone that close will confuse the timer. Pretty much anyone in an indoor facility shooting with you will confuse the timer. When outdoors, someone 40 feet or more probably won't confuse the timer, some timers like a CED 7000 have adjustable sensitivity which will let you turn down the sensitivity so hopefully it'll only catch your shots.

I use my timer 90% of the time while in my garage in dry fire drills with a par time feature. When I goto the range, I don't shoot near other shooters or completely by myself in the middle of our high desert. I don't go to public ranges anymore, way too scary for me, thanks. I like to try and shoot with other USPSA folks and alternate the live fire drills, but people have weird schedules and often I'm flying solo.

Thanks, it seemed to me that any timer would be confused.

I don't do any dry firing practice but after reading the posts, it seems I need to get at it.

Still trying to find the best holster arrangement for my Springfield SS Black. I'm planning on starting in Limited. I need to add that my holster search is complicated by the fact that I'm left handed. Since I'm a new pistol shooter, years of trap, actually tinking of learning right handed.

DLF in Arizona

Still trying to find the best holster arrangement for my Springfield SS Black. I'm planning on starting in Limited. I need to add that my holster search is complicated by the fact that I'm left handed. Since I'm a new pistol shooter, years of trap, actually tinking of learning right handed.

Most single stack 1911's would be better in Limited 10. If you compete in straight Limited then you'll be shooting against widebody pistols with 20 rounds in the magazine. The same modifications are allow on Limited and Limited 10 pistols, the only difference is Lim-10 can only have 10 rounds in the magazine.

It doesn't really matter whether you shoot left or right handed, all the popular holsters are available in both flavors. Eye dominance is more important, I'm a righty but my left eye is dominant - I put a lot of extra work into getting my sight alignment tweaked correctly. I couldn't imagine getting enough dexterity in my left hand to switch sides, but I do shoot rifle and shotgun off my left shoulder, go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a CED 6000 since '99. It has been a reliable, rugged instrument. I also like the lower pitched buzzer, some other timers have a very high pitched beep. Some of us who have lost some high frequencies have a hard time hearing with plugs and muffs.

That having been said, I had the opportunity to attempt to use a CED 7000 at A-6 3 gun last Nov. The host club purchased a number of these for this match. It is so small as to be easily misplaced, and the buttons are not large finger compatible. The 7000 has an internal rechargable battery, so when it dies, you can't just slap in another battery and continue. No one managed to make it through the whole match with one of these. Everyone was scrambling around for replacement timers to finish the match. If memory serves, one of these 6 or 7 timers never would pick up shots reliably.

I could probably learn to live with the buttons, if it took replaceable batteries, and was reliable.

Just my .02.

Mike.

The CED7000 has a detachable battery pack that can be purchaced seperatlely. They have about the largest group of accessories of any timer, all with their own little price tag of course.

Exactly, Vulture,

Far better for the MD to be able to put a 9v battery in each stage box, that will feed all other timers I have used.

Brian sells Pact :D

Thanks, but due to a business decision (for reasons I'm not going to discuss on the Forum) I'm no longer a dealer for PACT.

be

That says a whole lot even though you typed very few words.

My next question is, what will you be carrying for a timer in your store now?

I'm using an older Pact Mark IV but the newer product has had a rash of problems both with customer service and hardware.

I shoot indoors and out and would really like an adjustable sensitivity function. I often record the echos so for 6 shots it records 12 rounds. I took a piece of foam ear plug and placed over the speaker hole like Pact recomends but that is very hard to be repeatable and a pain in the rear.

Thinking about an inexpensive Pocket pro. The company donates the use of new units for our big match every year and that has to count for something.

Rick

Rick

Brian sells Pact :D

Thanks, but due to a business decision (for reasons I'm not going to discuss on the Forum) I'm no longer a dealer for PACT.

be

uh oh, I just ordered one a little over a week ago from you. I hope there isn't a problem with my order.

-William

lol, just got a call from Brian as soon as I finished writing my last post(I left a message for him not even 10 min. ago). He said my order went through fine. This really shows what a great person Brian is to deal with and wow he has great customer service :D I received my Rl650 in 3 days from when I ordered it. I will definitly buy from BE in the future. Thanks Brian

-William

Edited by SSDriver

My next question is, what will you be carrying for a timer in your store now?

Actually nothing. I've never been a big fan of the CED stuff, in general.

A huge problem, for me, with PACT, is that often their products are not in stock when ordered through my online store, which charges your card when you place the order. (That's not a problem for PACT, if you place an order with them, because they don't charge your card till they ship your order.) So trying to communicate whether or not any of the 8 PACT products I sold was in stock when you ordered it was a never-ending battle.

I'm still a big fan of their products and will continue to recommend them. Their MKIV was a key ingredient in my training program for many years. And although they've had a chrono bug in the MKIV XP that they finally figured out, it's still the best timer there is.

be