Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Big Are Jerry's Hands?

TnBama

The reason I ask is- my hands aren't very big.

I have just gotten the JM DVD on shooting the revolver and Jerry's hands look they were made to hold an N-frame. Like they were sculpted there.

I'm not a small guy (6'1 and 220) but- if you don't have large hands like that- would you be better off working and practicing with an L-frame? maybe a 686?

The L feels bigger than a K or an N to me, to me the K and N feel like they have the exact same trigger reach with exposed backstrap grips. The L doesn't feel much bigger, but it does feel a little longer in trigger reach.

Grips are the key to fitting a Smith to your hand. I have pretty darn small hands and I HAVE to use grips with exposed backstraps to reach the trigger. Service stocks with a Tyler or a set of Miculek grips are about all I am really comfortable with. Funny that he has really large hands but the grips he designed actually fit my small hands really well.

I also am trying to find a grip for the N frame 625 that I am comfortable with.

The gun I bought came with a set of Jerrys grips on them, but I found them uncomfortable, even painful when I shot.

With my L frames I always loved the old Bill Davis PPC grips, I wish they would fit on the 625.

I put a pair on just for the heck of it and they actually do bolt on but they dont look right at all. There is alot of frame exposed in different areas.

I am going to try a Hogue convserion grip for now and maybe sand off the lower finger groove.

I have just gotten the JM DVD on shooting the revolver and Jerry's hands look they were made to hold an N-frame. Like they were sculpted there.

Jerry Making Sparks!!

302thue.jpg

Jerry making Brass

2vmgd4n.jpg

From this thread. ;)

Edited by Skywalker

I'm not a small guy (6'1 and 220) but- if you don't have large hands like that- would you be better off working and practicing with an L-frame? maybe a 686?

I have shaken hands with Mr. Miculek. It explained a lot

There was an article in (I think) American Handgunner about JM's grips and his mitts, it mentioned

that he doesn't necessarily have overly large hands just that they are more "meaty".

He used a soda can as an example, Jerrys hand wraps around the can the same distance as Kay's

hand does, even though his hands look bigger than her's.

I think that's why a number of folks find Jerrys grips too small,

and why so many of us own dremel tools :D

For me, Jerrys grips have too much of a "bump" at the bottom front, I have ground this

down on a couple of pairs and they feel much better, problem is now they are way too small

for my hands, as I don't have big or meaty hands.

They might work well for ladies/kids grips though !

Jerry's hands are average size, but he has very strong arms and a hard grip, whether he's shaking your hand or holding a gun.

If there's one thing I see wrong with people's shooting method, day in and day out, it's that they don't hold onto the gun hard enough. Many people have misinterpreted the "neutral grip" and "let the gun recoil" concepts to mean that it's OK to pussy-hold the gun. Look at Jerry's hands and arms when he's shooting. He's gripping it good and hard.

You do not need huge mitts to control an N-frame. My 13-year-old shot his way into B class this year using a square butt N-frame. Rubber Hogues are good for shooters with small to medium hands.

some people have paws, rather than slender fingers and palms. Men that have done a lot of work with their hands over years, tend toward the paw version. Thick meaty fingers, not necessarily any bigger. I find JM grips too small for the area that supports my third finger. I also find that this finger is critical for a grip that steadies gun during the DA stroke. I notice during dryfiring that JM grips give me a wobble.

Bill Jordon had huge hands that were also paw like. When grips are right moderate pressure from both hands will secure gun so that front sight doesn't wobble through the DA stroke.

I'm still working on my Hogue blanks, Left them big and I just keep taking a little of areas don't fit right.

I've been lucky enough to shake hands with both JM and Bill Jordan. JM's hands were a bit bigger than mine, and strong. Jordan's hands were huge and Bear Paws come to mind. Even though I was a 17 year old kid, not very big either, Bill's paws totally engulfed my hands.

The strength needs to be in the wrist not the fingers. You don't try to crush the grips, but the wrist needs to be locked "Hard". That being said a crushing grip for one may be a handshake for another. Like in all things there is the proper balance, it can be difficult to achieve, but it needs to be on the sub-concious level.

That's a relief.

I thought it was something personal.... :blink:

Don't ask, don't tell.... :wub:

I don't know how big his hands are exactly, but he can pull a DA revo trigger with full power springs faster than a machine gun fires.... so his hands must be pretty strong.

Edited by bountyhunter

As a female shooting Smith 625 (N-Frame) I can tell you that for my hands it is the most comfortable. The L-frame that I own actually gives me a blood blister on my trigger finger where it pinches. The biggest key I have found for what limited success I have had shooting a revolver is attitude. My highschool band instructor told us attitude is everything, and I think she knew a thing or two. Jerry once told my husband (who also has tremendous gripping strength and Popeye for arms) that he doesn't want to hold a gun, but to dominate it. When I approach a stage or an entire match with that attitude, that I will totally dominate and control the gun, I have a far greater chance for success. I will never have the power that a strong man does in my arms, or even a small man (I hear that I'm not very big), but I have beaten men much bigger than I am. You need to find a comfortable grip that allows you to control everything that happens when you fire a shot. For me it is the N-frame, but that won't work for every hand out there.