Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping My Gun

Calamity Jane

I followed all the rules. Took it to UPS and shipped it overnight by air to Arizona. Walked out of the store with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Gods speed little 38 super comp open gun. May you find your way to Arizona and not get lost, stolen or broken. May you return to me unharmed with the sweetest new trigger.

I HATE TRUSTING OTHER PEOPLE WITH MY GUNS!! Ofcourse you all remember last year my limited gun was in a fire at my gunsimith's here in Indiana. My fear and anxiety are not without merit. I really really hate this....but I really really want that sweet trigger.

Anyone else emotional about their guns?

OK I thought I would feel better after I posted...but I'm NOT OK! I need a hug from the hubby and a "It's going to be OK baby." but he's not here. I'm literally having feelings of nausea and anxiety.

Remember that scene from Raider's of the Lost Ark....when the Ark of the Covenant is being placed in the warehouse. I'm envisioning my gun out at the airport with all those other boxes!!! The next 24 hours is going to be hell. Going to church tonight to pray about it. ;)

The UPS air operation is much easier on goods than the ground service. The air operation is largely automated and the sorting is done by mechanical armatures rather than people. Automation saves a lot of wear and tear.

I've seen the good and the bad from the inside of UPS, I only get nervous sending things by ground service.

Oh, you insured it, right? ;)

I remember the time we had a box go thru ups... ended up in 30 or 40 pieces.... oh never mind that won't happen to yours. ours was a big box. :rolleyes:

sorry... couldn't resist. i get nervous when someone else carries my range bag. guess i will go out and smack myself in the back of the head now. :blink:

Anyone else emotional about their guns?

Nah, but then again Tupperware's interchangeable......

.....o.k., I'm a little attached to the G-34 I shot three Nationals, 4 Area 8s, 3 Summer Blasts, and countless other matches with. I'd miss it just because of the history.....

I've shipping over a hundred guns to people after working on them in the last 6 months and the've all made it back just fine.

Related question for you guys.

I know the purchase of a firearm across state lines requires the involvement of a FFL holder. I don't know how many must be involved, or the requirements if shipping a weapon for custom work or repairs.

1. If I'm selling a weapon to someone out of state, does it have to be sent and received by a FLL or only received by one?

2. If I'm sending a weapon to someone for custom work, no change in ownership involved, does it have to be sent from a FLL, to a FLL or both?

3. When sent back to me, same question.

Lee

2. No. I shipped my lower to JP, for a trigger job, and they shipped it back direct to me together with the upper they built me. The lower's the papered part, and there was no change in ownership involved. UPS' only concern was that it was incapable of harming of their delivery guys --- so they looked in the box, and when they saw the lower pretty much figured it out....

As far as UPS is concerned, I set up an account with them for shipping any of the junk I sell on the forums or on e-bay, during my sporadic attempts to declutter my life. I pretty much don't get hassled or asked anything at the counter anymore.....

Calamity Jane

You are not alone. I recently had to ship a new pistol that was defective right out of the box back to the mfgr. I wont mention any names but I too tracked it to Exeter NH ;) and back. I was a nervous wreck for 15 days. mostly because I was in denial for a couple of weeks with the thought that a $2300 pistol cant possibly be defective. but its back home now and I can rest easy again. Your pistol will be returned safely to you to,I am sure. :)

Lee,

As long as no tranfer is taking place, you can ship it to an FFL and they can ship it directly back to you.

This link has all you need to know.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

Thanks. I'm not sure I fully understand everything I need to know, but at least I have a better idea where to look for it.

If I understand the laws correctly, a gunsmith is required to be a FLL. If so, it's clear that I can ship my pistol directly to him and receive it directly back from him as long as I use a common or contract carrier rather than the post office.

Lee

I would rather use FedEx because they are much more friendly. But if the package value is over $2000 UPS policy is that it is signed for at every stop and not just scanned as with other low value theft packages even those going Next Day Air.

+1 on the local gun-smith idea.

Very, very highly recomend a local guy when possible. Mr. Bill turned me on to his local gunsmith and I can't say enough good things about it all. He's highly skilled, easy to work with on choices etc., but most of all ........ no shipping. No worries about getting trigger jobs, broken parts fixed fast, etc.

But I know what you are going through Jane. I just received an AR lower in a transaction where I was given a UPS tracking number that DIDNT WORK! For three days I was freakin' out, because I sent a money-order out. I was so relieved when I got the call that it came in. Even felt a little silly for worrying so much. :rolleyes: