Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv N-105 Loads For 38 Super

trg

I have just ordered my first 38 Super as a custom buildt 1911 with a ramped Kart barrel.

I'm trying to figure out some loads and have a lot of 124gr. Rem FMJ .356. and N-105, N-320 and N-340.

According to VV's online manual 11gr. of VV N105 will give 1594fps in a 5,5" barrel.

If I run this load in QuickLoad it shows 62755 PSI and 120% filling.

What't wrong here?

I load 10.4 grains of N105 behind a Zero 125 gr JHP.

This load fills the case up to within about 1/8" to 3/16" from the rim.

The case is so full that you have to slow down and be careful or the press will sling powder everywhere while indexing.

Seating the bullet compresses the load somewhat but not enough to bulge the case or cause an audible crunch.

You might be able to squeeze 11 grains in there.

I believe the case would hold it without overflowing but just barely.

Seating the bullet might be tough.

Tls

N105 felt decent in my gun, and shot reasonably flat. My load development for it is in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...666&hl=N105

Anything about 10.3-10.5 starts to require a combined seat/crimp die in order to maintain OAL, for me. However, I can fit 13-ish grains of N105 into a SuperComp case - there's still some room left at 10 grains (though, admittedly, not much, and I wouldn't want to load a 13 grain charge all the time....)

A search on N105 will turn up a lot of info....

N105 er god til kraftige ladninger. Hvilke discipliner vil du skyde med din nye skyder? Til normale ladninger (som standard 9mm) er N340 langt at foretrække.

And in English ;-)

N105 is a god powder for powerful loadings. Which disciplines du you plan to use your new gun for? For normal loadings (comparable to standard 9mm) N340 would be preferable.

Thanks for the information guys.

The VV manual has 9,9gr. as starting load. This should be a safe way to start?

All that depends on how long your OAL will be, if you're going to have poppleholes or not, etc. I'd ask your smith if he has a suggestion first of all. Regardless, I'd start a little less than that (better safe than sorry) just based on the length of your bbl.

The trick will be finding a load that feels best to you that still makes major pf. I would either buy or borrow a chrono and make up a bunch of test rounds starting slightly lower than what the loading manual and your smith says and work your way up.

I used to shoot 3N37 with 124s and 130s and loved it a bunch. When it ran out I picked up a can of 340 because I got a great deal on it. I had also heard others talk about how good it shot and they were right. You can take load data straight from the little VV paperback manual and make major. They shoot super good from my STI open gun. I know I just repeated what others have said, but this powder really runs good in these guns. Clean too!

Just seems odd that the manual lists hot major loads without any warnings.

I wouldn't dare this without a fully supported chamber. Or is it just me?

I'll work up some N-105 loads as soon as I get my new gun and post the results here.

Edited by trg

Just seems odd that the manual lists hot major loads without any warnings.

I wouldn't dare this without a fully supported chamber. Or is it just me?

I'll work up some N-105 loads as soon as I get my new gun and post the results here.

Hot major loads with N105 = very safe. It burns so slow that I have never seen pressure signs w/ it - in fact the primers look like I was shooting minor loads out of my 9 supercomp. I doubt you could fit enough into a supercomp case to make an unsafe load w/ this stuff. I compress it a bunch. Trick is to use a 2-step crimp process w/ the seater doign the 1st step and a 2nd crimp die finishing the work.

Also, I found N105 does NOT mix well w/ hybrid ports. Same the N105 for your guns with NO hybrid holes.

Also, I found N105 does NOT mix well w/ hybrid ports. Same the N105 for your guns with NO hybrid holes.

+1 to your comments on the safety of the powder. However, I'll disagree here. N105 runs just fine in my swiss cheesed gun ;) Its just too damn expensive :D

+1 to your comments on the safety of the powder. However, I'll disagree here. N105 runs just fine in my swiss cheesed gun ;) Its just too damn expensive :D

Agree on the expense! Let me explain my "does not mix" comment - I found my N105 loads (over 11 grns w/ a 115) produced a lot more blast than N350 loads when I ran a few through a friends hybrid gun. Have not tried a whole match w/ a hybrid & N105 - just my old non-swiss open blastomatic. Once used to the blast, its probably fine in all .38 variants. Certainly is safe stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...