Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning A comp

oddjob

• 3 weeks later...

There is a trick way to clean a comp but you need a bead blaster.  Take your barrrel and comp out and plug both ends of the barrel, then mask everything but the top ports.  In the bead blast cabinet stick the nozzel in the ports and blast lead carbon and anything else out. Be sure and remember to unplug the barrel and get all the sand out before using.  Works great!!

In the past I've held a sacrificial feeler gauge over the barrel crown and had at the buildup with a ball-end dremel bit.  

I've been told this is isn't the best for comp longevity, but comps aren't exactly heirlooms around here.

(Edited by shred at 1:16 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

I seem to remember a mixture of peroxide and vinegar. Let the comp soak in that for a while, it actually bubbles away the lead. However it also tends to rust your bluing, so keep an eye on it and don't let it soak overnight. Don't take this as gospel, but it may be worth a try.

if you shoot a slow powder that burns in the comp instead of a faster one that burns in the barrel, youwill not have any lead in your comp. I have been shooting accurate # 7 & win. 571 for years & never have a speck of lead in any comp I use.

I use 3N37 with a 115gr bullet and regardless of the type of bullet  the comp stays clean. I changed to SP2 and the fmj bullets started to lead up the comp, went back to 3N37 and it cleaned it out, the person who had the gun before me used N350 with 124gr fmj and they leaded up the comp. I have one of Benny's old comps and three ports in the barrel so my load with the 3n37 is pretty hot, maybe that has something to do with it.

I managed to get some of the lead fouling out of my comp!  Here is what I did (your results may vary):

1.  I put drops of Shooter Choice in the comp and let it soak

2.  I then used my Dremel tool with attachment #84922 Sil. Carb. Grinding Stone on the lead fouling at the SLOWEST speed.  Or the more fine stone you can find.

3.  The lead fell out like sand with no damage to the comp by the grinding stone (because the stone is a light grit)

4.  Spray out any lead that didn't come out with Gun Scrubber or an aersol gun cleaner.

5.  repeat as necessary until all the lead is out

(Edited by shooterx10 at 12:36 pm on Jan. 28, 2003)