Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Porduction Xd Shooters..what Holster And Mag Pouches Do You Use?

Tolly

I will be starting out shooting Production with my Canyon Creek tweaked XD tactical 9mm and would like to know what equipment others are using. Right now I am leaning toward the Blade Tech DOH along with either Safariland 771/773 mag pouches, or CR Speed Pouches and for a belt I plan on using the CR Speed belt. What do you like and why. Also, who has the best prices on these items. Thanks!

I got my holster directly from Bladetech. The CR Speed gear I think I got from dawsonprecision.com. I can't remember now. The mags I got with the XD and the rest come from a local gunstore. Look also at pistolgear.com for some stuff you might be interested in.

Why do you dislike the CR Speed Pouches? Also, what magazines do all of you use? And where do you purchase your holsters, mags, pouches and so forth?

The CR Speed pouches are one size fits all, there's a shim that you install depending on the gun/mag you're running. This system doesn't feel as good as a pouch with a dedicated fit.

Overall, I don't really like the CR Speed stuff, including the WSM Holster. It all has a semi-cheap feel when you put the gear to use. Hard to explain and keep the conversation polite, it's all kind of junk but it seems to work.

The CR Speed belt I like because the soft velcro is used on the inner belt. Safariland belts use the scratchy velcro for the inner belt. So I like the soft velcro because I can wear the inner belt in the car on the way to the match without sticking to my car seats or scratching anything. But, like all of the CR Speed stuff I've used, the belt isn't all that it could be. The inner belt has no taper at the end, so it's difficult to get the inner belt into the belt loops. The outer belt is sized 1.6 inches instead of 1.5 inches as advertised, so all belt components have a very tight fit and some items (like Limcat mag pouches) can't be used at all with this belt unless you file material off of the item.

Regarding XD mags, the only ones I know of are Springfield OEM mags. The OEM mags seem to work fine. PistolGear.com is a forum vendor and I've ordered from them with good results.

Are there different manufacturers of XD mags? If so which ones are the best? How many are needed to shoot Production, 4,5,6, ?????

I'm not really sure of the different manufacturers. For Production it would be safe to have at least 5 mags that work. You never know when a mag will break so it's always good to have a spare or 2 also.

Overall, I don't really like the CR Speed stuff... Hard to explain and keep the conversation polite, it's all kind of junk but it seems to work.

They are junk? Is that why they are used by most of the top competitors? There is a reason they are used so much. Lots of good stuff out there though. If you do IDPA also BladeTech is worth looking at.

OEM mags are the best, minimum I would suggest is 6 maximum, as many as you want to afford. 5 on the belt, one in the gun, better safe than sorry.

Blade-tech holsters in stock for various guns at :

pistolgear.com

speedshooter.com

ghostholster.com

Blade-tech can take 5-8 weeks direct sometimes.

Try pistolgear first, I know they had XD holsters.... get a DOH for now, but you can always change the hanger for about $10 to a regular hanger if the rules get changed next year (they might).

+1 on the CR Speed Belt.

Overall, I don't really like the CR Speed stuff... Hard to explain and keep the conversation polite, it's all kind of junk but it seems to work.

They are junk? Is that why they are used by most of the top competitors? There is a reason they are used so much. Lots of good stuff out there though. If you do IDPA also BladeTech is worth looking at.

OEM mags are the best, minimum I would suggest is 6 maximum, as many as you want to afford. 5 on the belt, one in the gun, better safe than sorry.

+1. They are used by some and most of the greatest in the world.

Edited by jasmap

I'm another very satisfied CR Speed belt, Versa Pouch mag hoders and DOH holster user. I'd replace them with duplicates if I lost them. I also have nine OEM mags in all three sizes (10, 15 and 16) that have worked perfectly for over 20K rounds.

DOH holster!!!! the only other one I've felt that was really good was a Kytac, but be prepared for a long wait, have to mail in the purchase, and he doesn't return calls or e-mails.

My 773's don't fit the CR Speed belt like they should, but it still works. Most are using the CR speed , Safariland 771 or 773, Kytac , Comp-tac, or blade-tech. Price wise they are comparable.

I went the KISS method and use the blade-tech double pouches on a cheap 1 3/4 inch Uncle Mikes Tactical belt rig, and it works great. Nothing to fear with the Blade-tech kydex mag pouches. They are fine.

BTW, I wear 6 mags on my belt when shooting and an extra in the bag to start with if needed. In production, you can't really have too many mags ready to go, but you damn sure can have too few.

I've never seen anyone have an issue with any OEM XD mag, period. They are as reliable as a Glock mag ;)

I use a comp-tac locking paddle, belt fed, and wilderness 1.75 belt. I also use everything but the belt fed for IDPA, I just put on the 2 mag pouch.

If I had to do it again I probably would get the safariland pouches, DOH, and CR belt. I don't like the one size fits all idea but I've also never used them.

Right now I'm using a Blackhawk CQC with two Bladetech mag pouches.

I'll probably be switching the holster to a Bladetech DOH soon, though.

For Mags, I go with four on the belt, one in the gun and an emergency spare in my back pocket.

It seems like there are a LOT of stages that call for dumping a mag with 2-4 still in it, so extras are always a good idea.

Edited by BBunin

Bladetech DOH, CR Speed pouches, and CR Speed belt. They all last forever. You will find that 90% of the top shooters use this combo.

Is this combination legal for USPSA Limited 10 Division?

Also is a 15 degree (FBI) cant holster legal for the same division?

Edited by Fjold