Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 442 Airweight

Nemo

Been lookin' at lightweight snubbies. The scandium/titanium 340's look great. I find convenient that these are 357's and would be able to digest many years of 38spl shooting. However, most are out of the price range I want to be.

So I found the Airweight 442 that's only 3oz heavier and 38-only. No problem there. However, I've seen some that are specifically listed as 38+P and others that are not. Is there a difference between the older Airweights and the newer ones on managing +P ammo? Not that I plan to shoot much +P ammo through it, but at least 5 or 10 rounds to get the "feel". Does the gun have to be marked +P?

I want a pocket gun!

B)

Go for it.

Hell, even the older airweights could handle a mild amount of +Ps with no problem. Back in the day we all carried a 2" Airweight (or two) in the pocket or on the ankle, and everybody I knew carried (and occasionally shot) +Ps out of them. If you shoot too many, you'll start to see the little lightweight guns go out of time faster and stuff like that--nothing catastrophic will happen, it's the same cylinder.

My dad now has my old early Model 442, and it's still perfectly fine even after shooting several boxes of +P+ Treasury loads through it.

The Scandium guns are marks for +P only but not because of pressure or anything like that its becasue they don't want you shooting plain lead bullets out of them. The recoil is so snappy that lead bullets creep out of the cases and jam the cylinder. +P ammo is jacketed and the bullets don't creep.

Nemo, I would try the 442s and also the Model 38 airweight as well. I have been carrying the Model 38 for about 12 years now. I picked up a 442 for a song when a buddy sold his. In shooting both the 442 has a sharp back on it versus the "hump" on the 38. In short, the 442 hurts versus the Model 38's hump for me. I picked up a SC gun and thought, wow, that would be cool carrying this, it doesnt weigh much at all. It weighs around 4oz less than my aluminum airweight, and I dont even know when I am carrying my airweight....it wasnt worth the extra money to pony up for the SC gun. I will eventually own one, but only when I can get a deal on it.

In short, you might find that you like an aluminum framed snubby more than a Scandium.... ;)

Go for it!

DougC

Edited by DougC

I just bought a 340 with a hi-viz sight. Took it out to the range and shot about 10 rounds of .38 specials and boy did my hand sting. Had a box of +p's with me so what the hell, loaded up and shot one round.

Unloaded and showed clear, once a year seems about right :P

once a year seems about right :P

Once a year, your a tougher man than me James? I shot my Scandium 337 with Plus P only once since I got the thing I don't know how many years ago, come to think or it I've only had it out the range once........I wonder where it is...........

Edited by TMC

once a year seems about right :P

Once a year, your a tougher man than me James? I shot my Scandium 337 with Plus P only once since I got the thing I don't know how many years ago, come to think or it I've only had it out the range once........I wonder where it is...........

I'm a big talker, but well see if i shoot it again next year.

Glad i didn't buy the .357 , would have split my wimpy hand apart :D

I had a 340SC for awhile and I shot several cylinders of full-house .357 Magnum ammo through it.......and I'm here to tell you it's an absolute torture device. And I'm not afraid of recoil. I've shot all sorts of crazy stuff over the years, Linebaughs, Bowen customs, .45-70 handguns, etc., but nothing truly hurt my hand the way that scandium magnum did.

I think it's neat that S&W managed to engineer such a small/light gun that could handle so much power, but I have no desire to shoot one of them ever again.

My daily carry gun is a 340PD with frangeable +P hollow points. I also shoot gold dot magnums from this little beast. Good grips and MagNaPorting made it controlable.

The difference in price between 440 and the 340 is not worth it for a 3oz difference. I traded for mine otherwise I would have bought the 440.

Regards,

The new Crimson Trace Laser grips with the little air pocket by the top strap makes a world of difference in shooting these guns. They have an off switch if you don't want to use the laser. I have a 442 and shoot standard .38 for practice with a few +p before I leave the range. Great little gun.

My daily carry gun is a 340PD with frangeable +P hollow points. I also shoot gold dot magnums from this little beast. Good grips and MagNaPorting made it controlable.

The difference in price between 440 and the 340 is not worth it for a 3oz difference. I traded for mine otherwise I would have bought the 440.

Regards,

I have a 642 that I carry in my front pocket.Like some others have said I do not see the extra money for a SC version.I know a guy who loves the SC guns,I shot his .45acp with 230gr ball and his .44sp with 240 lswc and you talk about pain.I will stick with my airweight.

:( Mike, you just broke my heart... :(

When I saw your reply, I thought you were writing to tell me you have one for sale at a very good price. I didn't find one this weekend at the show.

Still lookin'

as irony would have, I just bought one of these last week without seeing this thread. What is the prefered pocket holster for these little guys? Any particular maker noticeably better than another?

I keep my 442 in a Kramer pocket holster. I don't know how I lived without it.

I usually have at least a 442 with the new crimson trace laser grips in my front pocket. The new design Laser Grips are noticeably less painful to shoot. For practice, I use my daughter's cowboy action loads. For carry, it is loaded with =P hydrashocks. My favorite pocket holster is the Kramer, but the Mitch Rosen is another very good choice. :ph34r:

sorry Nemo, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya.

I bought a G27 off a buddy of mine a few years back and have carried it a lot. I recently decided that I was gonna sell some stuff and replace that with a real sized carry gun and a snubbie so I would have a slightly more versitle carry package. Turns out the same buddy decided to get rid of the 442 he wouldnt sell me back then, and wants a small .40. So we worked out a trade where I give him back his old gun.

I dont like giving up 5 rounds, but I also never shot that G27 very well, and I dont even notice the weight of this new 442.

My 442 rides daily in a Galco horsehide pocket holster and has digested a heavy diet of +P rounds in the past few years with no issues. It is handy, tight, and accurate, plus it is highly concealed and adequately powered. I don't see $300 more dollars for the 4 ounces in the airlight.

A little late to add my comments on which revolver to get (my choice is a Model 638 Airweight Bodyguard) but I do have a suggestion for the pocket holster.

I've been using a Mika pocket holster, for over 10 years. The synthetic material protects the gun from sweaty pockets very well. The mouth of the holster is reinforced to keep it from collapsing when the gun is drawn. And the price is quite reasonable. The company website is:

www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

And it looks like you got a good deal at the auction :)