Sig 556

syme71

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
But the price is pretty high.....

Yeah, you can buy a full race JP-15 for that price. You can get a Benny Hill built AR and optics foor the same price. It only makes sense for the gotta' havit's.

The large sight rail to bore offset will make the CQ POA to POI offset on an AR seem like a Limited pistols offset :ph34r::o

I see it as a nice Tactical gun for real world LEO Departmental issue use, but only see them being driven in competition as a novelty compared to the AR platform.

LE Departments can get 550's and 551's. The 556 will be a popular one for civvies who like the SIGs and can't get the restricted models. The compatibility with AR mags is a nice bonus too. Not sure why you would want one for 3-gun, they are heavier, but the parents are great weapons, hopefully the 556 will do them proud.

LE Departments can get 550's and 551's. The 556 will be a popular one for civvies who like the SIGs and can't get the restricted models. The compatibility with AR mags is a nice bonus too. Not sure why you would want one for 3-gun, they are heavier, but the parents are great weapons, hopefully the 556 will do them proud.

apples and oranges. The "pre-ban" 551 IS heavy - close to an M-1 Garand and its only a 223 w/ a magazine release system that is exactly like an AK-47 (read: slow!). Plus, those mags are $60+. That gun will not be coming to the US ever again.

The new US made Sig 556 is within a few Oz. of an issue M-4 carbine and uses AR mags w/ a mag release in the same place as an AR. Plus- the hammer forged barrel is supposed to be ridiculously accurate. And it has a gas piston system like the M-14 or M-1 Garand if that matters to you. Apparently, you do not need a match trigger job either. Could be an out of the box contender. We will see. Any reports of an actual siting yet?

But the price is pretty high.....

Yeah, you can buy a full race JP-15 for that price. You can get a Benny Hill built AR and optics foor the same price. It only makes sense for the gotta' havit's.

The large sight rail to bore offset will make the CQ POA to POI offset on an AR seem like a Limited pistols offset :ph34r::o

I see it as a nice Tactical gun for real world LEO Departmental issue use, but only see them being driven in competition as a novelty compared to the AR platform.

I paid $1250 for mine (pre order) !) just waiting for it to arrive. The jp15 I want will be in the $1750 range, full setup. The 556 will be comparable in price after optics.

I also like the quick change barrel system on the 556.

Hey RR,

Is that the one with the SIG folding stock?

Saw the one with the CAR collapsible stock and don't care for it.

Where are you ordering it from? I want one of the folding stock variety :)

Thanks,

Barry B)

You can be kinda' competitive here in the USA with a lot of different rifle setups. But once you are competitive at the extreme top of the heap here, the platforms you can use narrow to being pretty similar to what the folks you need to beat are also running. Seldom is something clearly superior. The AR platform has so far been the only one to survive the gauntlet and rise noticeably above the pack in US based competition where PF at distance is moot ((re-setting steel) and speed of everything is absolutely "Everything". I would need to see Voigt, Butler, Miller, Burkett, etc... push one faster than they presently push an AR to believe the 556 is a competitive rifle platform choice for 3gunnin'.

It's missing a number of features (free float handguard, extremely effective muzzle brake, 3rd party accessories in abundance) that it needs to have before it can begin to be a contender anywhere but with the Tactical thinking crowd that will pretty much play it as it lays because speed and finesse is less important than reliability and ruggedness in an off the shelf package.

The point I was making was directed at Kelly Neal. That guy pushes his FAL just about as fast as anyone can run an AR. I didn't notice a free float tube on his gun. I would be surprised if the 556 used a different thread pitch than the AR so all the muzzle breaks should work. The questions would be accuracy and trigger work. Beyond that there is nothing that would preclude it from working.

The point I was making was directed at Kelly Neal. That guy pushes his FAL just about as fast as anyone can run an AR.

If Kelly shot the same matches with an AR instead of the FAL, he would shoot even faster than anyone mortal can typically run an AR ;-)

Not having a free float tube can be overcome if you follow rules, but it is a really nice thing to not have to pay attention to not torqueing on the forend when you are looking for some shooting support while in a hurry. To me this is a big thing.

This is a really curious forum phenomenon lately. It seems if you haven't seen something in person, much less haven't given it a serious workout at the range, that those two facts automatically qualify one to inform the universe how whatever you haven't seen or used can't possibly work.

And what's particularly bizzarre are the manufacturers who are getting bagged on. Sig's going to come out with a rifle with their name on it that doesn't shoot. Yeah....sure... :rolleyes:

And so Sig comes out with a 16" rifle first. They came to market with the *MOST MARKETABLE* rifle first. Duh! I'm not sure about this, but I'll go out on a limb here and hypothesize that Sig might have the technical prowess to build a version with an 18" or 20" barrel.

I sure hope McBane sees this and puts the bug in Sig's ear to sponsor the right person. I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here lately. And damn...the URL really is BE.com.....who'da thunk it? :wacko::ph34r:

I'm only baggin' on the 556 because of it's weight, one piece bbl/fore end and very large POI to POA offset at CQ distance due to it's bbl being an inch lower from the sight rail than an AR bbl is.

These things are readily apparent and not needing hands on to know the mettle of. Nothing that doesn't have a free float fore end doesn't flex when ya' ground it hard. The bbl is made heavy to help here which adds to the weight issue.

Once it has a free floating fore end and gets a diet, it might be a pretty snappy number for 3gunnin' but the sigt to bbl offset cannot be fixed and it will require some learnin' for use at CQ distances.

These things are facts and I point them out because they can be seen by the naked eye as detriments comparatively. Things that are not optimum must be dealt with/overcome. If some top dawg gets sponsored to use it, they will get dealt with/overcome. But lead boots are still lead boots, no matter how little lead they have in them.

This is a really curious forum phenomenon lately. It seems if you haven't seen something in person, much less haven't given it a serious workout at the range, that those two facts automatically qualify one to inform the universe how whatever you haven't seen or used can't possibly work.

And what's particularly bizzarre are the manufacturers who are getting bagged on. Sig's going to come out with a rifle with their name on it that doesn't shoot. Yeah....sure... :rolleyes:

And so Sig comes out with a 16" rifle first. They came to market with the *MOST MARKETABLE* rifle first. Duh! I'm not sure about this, but I'll go out on a limb here and hypothesize that Sig might have the technical prowess to build a version with an 18" or 20" barrel.

I sure hope McBane sees this and puts the bug in Sig's ear to sponsor the right person. I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here lately. And damn...the URL really is BE.com.....who'da thunk it? :wacko::ph34r:

+100

All the paper-racing doesn't mean squat when it comes to out on the range. Some of the top guys seem to like heavy rifles, yet everybody knows they're too slow ;) And it's not like they're exactly running off-the-shelf AR's either..