Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Egw Die

packed

I use them and wouldn't be without them.

Overkill, take a ziplock bag, shoot a little Hornady One Shot case lube in the bag. Put in about 100 cases, shake them around. Pour them out into a couple hundred unlubed cases, mix and start loading. A little bit of One Shot on every second or third case is enough to make loading a TON easier and putting the lube on with the bag like I describe makes sure none gets inside of the cases. If you try it you will like it!! Other case lubes work well too, but I think One Shot is the best for this application.

I tried one and did not like it. It really does nothing more than a standard Lee sizing die. I got just as many case gauge rejects with it as I did with the regular die.

It gives your loaded round a funky hour glass shape.

Here is my understanding of the Lee re-sizing dies...

1. A standard re-sizing die

2. A "U" die (U = undersized, re-sizes to a slightly smaller diameter)

3. EGW takes the "U" die and mills some of the bottom off...allowing the die to get further down on the case...re-sizing further.

I'm pretty dissatisfied with my EGW die. I really like the results I get from it, but it completely defeats my progressive loader. Because the flared, lower portion of the die is ground off, only about 1 in 10 case mouths goes straight into the die without manual assistance, with the rest catching on the edge of the sizing ring. As a result my loading rate is cut by half or more.

Is there anywhere you can easily order one of the unmodified Lee U dies?

Is there anywhere you can easily order one of the unmodified Lee U dies?

I have been buying the standard 4 die sets from Midway. They work great on the .40 brass with the bulge and don't slow down the speed of the machine. I didn't have quite the 90% failure rate that you're having, but it was sure annoying. I have my EGW U die in a box and it's staying there. Lee might sell the die by itself.

Lee 4 die set

Good to see you back MoNsTeR

I switched to the Lee Factory crimp die.

www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

It does not resize every Glock fired brass, but does a nice job on most.

If you use a 650, one hint is to put the locking ring on the bottom of the tool head.

That will allow you to lower the die all the way to the shell plate.

Pull the bullet and recover the powder on the occasional brass that fails the gage.

Jim Norman-Florida

I'm surprised to hear that so many are dissatisfied with this setup. When I shot limited, I went with a U die up front, with a Lee factory crimp die. Ran 10's of thousands of rounds in my 550B (a lot of Glock once fired) with little issue and about two hiccups in my gun. The only complaint I had was that it didn't have the lead in that the Dillon die has so once in awhile, I'd get a hangup.

I just lubed the heck out of the brass and ran....

• 2 weeks later...

hey .40AET, I finally used all that N310 ;)

I had been using a standard Lee die before, but with Berry's bullets I get some setback. The EGW die makes the setback go away but causes the loading troubles I described. That's why I'm thinking the unmodified U die might be the answer. That, or turning down the expander funnel .001" which is another thing I've kicked around.

Here is my understanding of the Lee re-sizing dies...

1. A standard re-sizing die

2. A "U" die (U = undersized, re-sizes to a slightly smaller diameter)

3. EGW takes the "U" die and mills some of the bottom off...allowing the die to get further down on the case...re-sizing further.

Not quite.

There is no such thing as the EGW die. It's just a Lee die that George helped develop and sells.

From the man himself:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777 Post #36.

I for one.. like the die

I'm surprised to hear that so many are dissatisfied with this setup. When I shot limited, I went with a U die up front, with a Lee factory crimp die. Ran 10's of thousands of rounds in my 550B (a lot of Glock once fired) with little issue and about two hiccups in my gun. The only complaint I had was that it didn't have the lead in that the Dillon die has so once in awhile, I'd get a hangup.

I just lubed the heck out of the brass and ran....

I think everyone or thought everyone new it was a Lee die any way I have this set up and love it. :rolleyes:

Packed - I was curious a while back, and asked whether standard dies worked okay with factory (as opposed to match barrel) chambers, and the response was that they did even when resizing Glocked brass. Match chambers needed the U die.

Packed - I was curious a while back, and asked whether standard dies worked okay with factory (as opposed to match barrel) chambers, and the response was that they did even when resizing Glocked brass. Match chambers needed the U die.

Gee revchuck, that is why the bullets I reload work well witht he same resizer in my XD but one out of 100 will not fit into my STI barrel. It gets jammed. I took the jammed ones and mic them and they are bigger than the rest. So I must be getting Glocked brass here and there mixed in and they are not getting sized all the way down. I never had this problem until I bought my STI. I now have the U die and wow what a difference. I sized a few brasses and mic them and there is no way anything can get by these dies. It sizes all the way down and they are small. So that makes sence what you say. B)