Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Holster Advise Wanted

open17

Just got a line on a 625-8 5". It's got all the goodies with it, except no holster/belt.

Belt's I've got, although this might be a good time to pick up another CR speed--I

like dedicated belts, all set up for the different divisions.

Holster---total newbie here when it comes to competition wheelgun holsters. I'm

running Blade-tech DOH, CR Speed, and an old model Aluminator for my bottom

feeders.

What should I get for the round gun?

1. If price were no object---what's the BEST? I know, opinions will differ.

2. What's relatively inexpensive, but a great holster for the money?

3. Whatchagot? Anybody have a holster, RH, for USPSA competition, that they

want to sell? Maybe you upgraded to the latest and greatest? That .1 slower draw

isn't going to make any difference to me for a LONG time---the 4 second reloads

are going to be much more of a problem.

Thanks,

Bill

I currently have a Safariland 002 Cup holster and am debating switching over to a CR speed Revolver holster as they seem faster. I've modified my 002 a bit, removing some of the material to aid in speed of the draw, best draw I have so far is 1.14 secs, but there is a considerable amount of drag taking it out of the 002. It seems that the CR speed is faster, but I can't tell for sure since I've never tried it yet. I know a local shooter has a device that modifies the 002 holster to be more open and then when it needs to be locked down, it locks the gun down pretty good. I need to bug him some more about that device.. John are you out there?

Vince

I like the CR Speed Holster and used it for a few years. I found it much faster than my old Ernie Hill Fast Track. This year I switched to a Speed Sec holster and I really like it.

Advantage of the Speed Sec... I have a 5 inch 625 and a 6 inch 627. I can use the same holster for both. I can even through my other Smiths into the same holster with no problems.

Hogue makes a great holster for revolvers too but you have to have an addition made to it so that the mussle locks in place.

My first competition revolver holster was a brown 002. I still have it and use it for a back-up holster, it's usually in the trunk of my car just in case. I switched to a CR Speed early last year, and once I got it adjusted properly, it's been just fine. Sam has a CR Speed also (generously given to him by Airedale), and he likes it a lot--says he no longer worries about the gun falling out on the ground. (That never actually happened, he just worried about it.) I picked up a kydex 5" N-frame holster at a gun show for $15 (I have no idea who made it) that I use on the rare occasions when I'm shooting a revolver in Production, and it works surprisingly well.

I've used the 4" 002 for 4 years, now with I'm using the same holster with a 5" gun. I've modified it to add a post at the bottom and took off the strap. It's speed is as fast as any thing I've ever tried. But, without the post it needs to be cranked down a bit tighter and that will slow down the draw.

Get the CR, the lock on it looks very comforting.

True, although you have to make sure you keep the phillips-head tension screw on the lock in proper adjustment. I let mine get a little too loose, and walking from one stage to the next at the Summer Blast, my shooting bag bumped the gun, and PLOP--my 625 fell right into the Pennsylvania mud.

I called the RO over and we got it handled, but I had to really work to keep my composure, as this occurred immediately after I had screwed up the first stage by mistakenly shooting the same target from two different ports, leaving another target unscathed and unengaged. This single brain malfunction would turn out to cost me the match.

On the bright side, in dropping my gun I discovered my latest million-dollar product idea: "Sight Brown."

Edited by Carmoney

+3 for Cr Speed

I'm searching for another used one if someone wants to sell.

If you don't want to invest that much, go with Blade-Tech ($60 + shipping). You will have to order it from the factory.

True, although you have to make sure you keep the phillips-head tension screw on the lock in proper adjustment. I let mine get a little too loose, and walking from one stage to the next at the Summer Blast, my shooting bag bumped the gun, and PLOP--my 625 fell right into the Pennsylvania mud.

I called the RO over and we got it handled, but I had to really work to keep my composure, as this occurred immediately after I had screwed up the first stage by mistakenly shooting the same target from two different ports, leaving another target unscathed and unengaged. This single brain malfunction would turn out to cost me the match.

On the bright side, in dropping my gun I discovered my latest million-dollar product idea: "Sight Brown."

What no loc-tite left after delivering the kittens that week?

I'm using a Safariland 002 with my 686 6", and it holds securely and releases OK, but requires a firm grip. I remember seeing a modification that acted like a lock/release for this holster. I recall it was like a cam sleeve on the bolt where the cylinder is held. By rotating a latch attached to that bolt, the sleeve would rotate from closed position to a point where there was additional separation, which loosened up the holster's hold on the cylinder. At the time I saw this [maybe 3 years ago], I was just getting started and didn't appreciate the value this might have.

Anyone know of or remember about this modification to that holster? Sargnv?

I took a piece of aluminum bracket and the nose piece from an old Ernie Hill rig and bolted them together to the 002 and viola! It holds the revolver great with minimum tension on the cylinder. My draws with the modified 002 are just as fast as with a Safariland 007, or 012, and my 1911.

I’ve been using a Safariland 002 cup Challenge for a while now and really like it. I did just pick up an Ernie hill holster thought and that seems to be nice too. As a matter of fact, I kinda like the hill for it more vertical attitude (not as much rake as the 002).

d345f9d3.jpg

Does Safariland still make the 002 in brown?

JTR nice pix, been practicing!

I don't think Safariland makes any brown holsters for anything. Course most holsters now are Kydex or Plastic or Aluminumumumum!

Looks like you're a Lefty. Are you using the 6" holster or order from the factory and get a 5"?

Does Safariland still make the 002 in brown?

Unfortunately no, all black now, and I think even basketweave is gone :(

And I'd like to add a plug for the Extreme/SpeedSec holster, holds all my revo's no

matter what the barrel length and has a lock too.

post-3-1161867743.gif

I started off with the Safariland 12. It worked ok, but then I saw my friends with the CR Speed and liked it a lot better. So I bought two, one for revolver, and one for limited. Then came the open gun. Limcat stealth solved the need for two holster set-ups. Now I shoot either the open or limited from the same holster. You do have to make sure you lock it but once locked, the gun is secure.

Universal Shooting Academy stock # 944-100-008 (Brownells), holster can be converted right or left handed, adjustable cant, rake and vertical. I have a CR Speed and to compare the two I would have to say the USA is faster and has more adjustments to custom it to your draw. Just my 2 cents worth. If I attached the site right it should take you to Brownells page.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...?p=15481&s=

How's the SpeedSec's retention while unlocked? I only see the same stock photos of this holster and the marketing efforts at retailer's website don't really tell me much.

Could anyone post pictures of the SpeedSec from various angles? How does the mechanism compare to the Ghostholster?

I don't care for the CR Speed holster, the lock and retension mechanism feel very inconsistent to me. The whole thing feels cheaply made to me.

How's the SpeedSec's retention while unlocked? I only see the same stock photos of this h

olster and the marketing efforts at retailer's website don't really tell me much.

Could anyone post pictures of the SpeedSec from various angles? How does the mechanism compare to the Ghostholster?

I don't care for the CR Speed holster, the lock and retension mechanism feel very inconsistent to me. The whole thing feels cheaply made to me.

The retention of the Speed Sec is complete, once locked the gun stays. I don't have a

dig camera so I can't show you the lock.

I will say the lock can be a pain to reach if you don't practice drawing from a locked

holster, not hard to release just not as easy as a Limcat. (and maybe not as easy to bump

off accidentally either :o )

The lock is located on the inside of the unit close to your belt, I did modify my holster to move

my lock to the outside for a match that I was under the impression my holster would have to be

locked for, turned out it didn't have to be but what I did was turn my holster into a left hand/right

hand holster. (they don't offer a lefty version)

And just so all is revealed...I did have to lock-tite the screw for the lock lever, seemed it would

work it's way out and the lock arm would get loose letting it fall down/un-lock, a year later and

it's been fine ever since.

Universal Shooting Academy stock # 944-100-008 (Brownells), holster can be converted right or left handed, adjustable cant, rake and vertical. I have a CR Speed and to compare the two I would have to say the USA is faster and has more adjustments to custom it to your draw. Just my 2 cents worth. If I attached the site right it should take you to Brownells page.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...?p=15481&s=

It says 6" guns, is that ...up to 6"... or only 6"?

The retention of the Speed Sec is complete, once locked the gun stays. I don't have a

dig camera so I can't show you the lock.

I'm curious about how secure the gun is while it's in the holster but unlocked.

It's great......as long as you don't go running around with it ! !

The speed sec holds the gun quite well just standing around, say for Steel Challenge or any

type of "stand and shoot" type of stage, works fine for USPSA once you step into the box

and LAMR, just don't sit in a chair with it unlocked.

You can rock the gun around and it stay's put, but lift it up a little bit and it's free.

Unlocked you would need to be careful just like any other type of "speed" holster,

sitting down, doing a walk thru, etc. etc.

As far as "needing" a speed type holster, I'm not so sure, in USPSA with hands at side's,

gun in a draw, laying on a table, is that .25 or even .1 of a second really worth it ??

I've only shot IPSC this past year, so I'm not so sure you need a Speed Sec/CR Speed,

have a friend that's using a Blade tec in Limited class and he's doing just fine.

I like it because I can put any barrel length/caliber S&W revo in it that I have, no muzzle

platform to move and no tension to adjust going from an N frame to an L frame.

And for full disclosure, I do have one 627 super that's kinda giving issues, I think the width

of the trigger guard is thicker, so 1 out of 10 or 12 ain't so bad ;)