Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"off Season" Training

Micah

PB,

You mentioned that Circleville is having a another match.

Is this the regular first Saturday of the month match and going to be held Nov. 4 ?

They don't have a web site anymore so I can't find a reference.

BTW congrats on a strong win at MR&P.

JFS

PB,

You mentioned that Circleville is having a another match.

Is this the regular first Saturday of the month match and going to be held Nov. 4 ?

They don't have a web site anymore so I can't find a reference.

BTW congrats on a strong win at MR&P.

JFS

Yes sir, Circleville has one final match on the 4th, and Oxford will be on the 5th, with a side rifle match. It was a pleasure shooting with you this season, and I look forward to many more!

PB,

One other thing that I'm doing is that since I have a lot of books to read (Lenny Basham, e.g.) I'm trying to find training material to put on DVD/mp3 format so that I can listen to them at the gym.

Most recently, I've put all of Matt B.'s radio shows on my MP3 players. Basically so while I'm at the gym doing mindless miles on the treadmill I can listen to something worthwhile (kind of done with watching Sportscenter at the gym).

Just a suggestion to help with the gym monotany.

Rich

shred,

So do the Matt Burkett "water bottle waltz" on the elliptical? Gotta love it. :lol:

Rich

Yeah, it'll burn your quads like you wouldn't believe.. :ph34r:

I get the audio off using some DVD-ripping tools. All you want is the AUDIO_TS files, then convert them to something your MP3 player can handle.

I'm already on that! The MB interviews that pertain to pistol shooting are on my Ipod, which is conveniently plugged in to my skull 23 hours a day. Shred, I've purchased a few of your fine DVD's and really enjoy watching them on the treadmill.

I've also been reading through my shooting books again (Perfect Practice, Thinking Practical Shooting, Beyond the Fundamentals, Shooting From Within, With Winning In Mind) just to name a few :D

Saul mentions using a laser to practice shooting on the move during dryfire. I went out and purchased a stupid pointer, but really cannot get it set correctly. Shooting a Glock, another option that I have is to purchase the Glock Laser/Light attachment. At $200+, I wonder if my money is better spent on 3k Zeros from ghostholster.com...

What do you guys and gals think?

Remember when people thought that was crazy?

:)

(I think I make GM in Open with a Glock. ;) )

Ahh Flex, if only we could show the light to more shooters :D

New ranges are being completed soon. The ranges will be excellent; however, membership only. ---\"not the same as training\"---agreed, but atleast you get to shoot something similar to a match every week.

Fullrace, I sent you a PM on that topic.

The way I am starting to see it is that you absolutely cannot be a champion without being in top shape. Physically, mentally, and spiritually....across the board. So those are what I'm working on improving until next spring.

Jake, I completely agree with you that it takes balance to become the best. This sport make me kick the smoking habit and hit the gym more! I'm just not good enough to run 10 yards and hit a plate from 40 feet away WHILE sucking wind <_<

I have no doubt PB will make Master next year....

I really appreciate that Chris! It's all thanks to the training from you and Uncle Bill that's made be want to push myself.

I really like the way this thread is developing :D

Oh and I don’t help you push yourself :o jk man, I do hope you will make your goal, Im sure you will.

Bullets and the Burkett water bottle.

Rich

Uncle Bill taught me to run around campus with a glass of water...is the BWB a similar technique?

What a double bonus though! Excersize AND refining shooting on the move!

And Sunuva, I am still technically your man-servant until Area 5 of 2007 :lol: ... :unsure:

Or, until you have another bet.... ;)

Any of you guys coming up to Circleville on Saturday? Anderson is out of town and I am heading up the USPSA match in his absence. <insert evil laugh here> I plan on running a couple stages from the Production/Open Nationals. Plus, I'm going to try to use a field course as a classifier (if available props allow it).

Any of you guys coming up to Circleville on Saturday? Anderson is out of town and I am heading up the USPSA match in his absence. <insert evil laugh here> I plan on running a couple stages from the Production/Open Nationals. Plus, I'm going to try to use a field course as a classifier (if available props allow it).

The Pimp Squad should be well represented.

Edited by bobert1

I like to think of both my training regimen and participation in matches as "practice"

For me, when I can consistently nail down a nice clean run across 5 plates or poppers to my satisfaction when I am alone and relaxed I feel I had a good practice session.

When I can run across the same 5 plates at a match with the mental pressure of my squad and some top shooters watching and my drive to win and not screw up, I feel I am practicing. The more matches I shoot, the better I get at performing under mental duress or "match conditions"

Practice your skills, but practice your performance as well.

A shooter who practices all the time and shoots two matches a year will be defeated by an equally skilled shooter who shoots a match every two weeks.

I like to review my matches from this year and identify my biggest weaknesses and then work on those. along with shooting some unconventional matches (bullseye shotgun, something you don't normally do) just to have some fun.

some people take a total break, I generally get more burnt out on the travel and logistics than i do the shooting so i have a loose plan and practice when i feel like i want to, not when I don't.

Most of the normal season there is no time for me to improve, too much travel, shooting matches, etc. the wintere is when I see the best chance to work on things intensely and to practice and become better at those times.

Happy Practicing :)

Shooting is a hobby for me I'm not as dedicated to the sport as some but I have found that the best workout plan I have found is the Russian Kettle Bell workout check out the Kettle Bell pull down menue at www.dragondoor.com this is finally an no BS workout that anyone can do and it has been around for over 300 years, I doubt that the Cardio Glide or any of the rest of that junk will be here in 300 years. Good luck. Today is my heavy work out day. BTW if you think a 35 pound cast iron ball is easy I suggest you try a Turkish Get Up with it.

Shooting is a hobby for me I'm not as dedicated to the sport as some but I have found that the best workout plan I have found is the Russian Kettle Bell workout check out the Kettle Bell pull down menue at www.dragondoor.com this is finally an no BS workout that anyone can do and it has been around for over 300 years, I doubt that the Cardio Glide or any of the rest of that junk will be here in 300 years. Good luck. Today is my heavy work out day. BTW if you think a 35 pound cast iron ball is easy I suggest you try a Turkish Get Up with it.

Actually, I have funked around with the Russian Kettle Bell workout. A good friend of mine is a physical education professor (gym teacher :D ) and showed me the ONE LEGGED SQUATS with the kettle bell. Extremely intense!

After listening to Saul again on the MB radio show, and re-reading his book, I am not able to better identify my "opportunity" areas. I shot a match this past Sunday, and there were two key areas that I work on to better reinforce my subconsious skill battery.

Also, with the kind lending of two different laser systems from Bobert1 and CHRIS KEEN, I have been both reinforcing my trigger control through dryfire, and refining my shooting on the move skills. It's not something that I use with my everyday practice, but it has been a helpful tool :)