Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Is A Proper Grip Possible,

Jman

Just a little advise please. After being shown a few weeks back how bad (low) my grip had degraded. I have been working on it in front of a mirror at home. I think I got it down. The problem is the "trigger hand" is so high it fails to deactivate the grip safety on my XD consistently :angry: ! Lots of pressss....nothing. That ain't no good. I know, I know just drop the "trigger hand" a little lower. Isn't that defeating that purpose? Is this correctable!

Signed, about to make a XD doorstop.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

I had the same issue. You can fix it two ways.

One way is to dissasemble the pistol and shorten the the "ledge" of the grip safety. The safety will still work, but dissengages with less depression. Make sure you know exactly how to dis/re-assemble the XD and only take a little material off at a time.

The second way is to build up the grip safety where your hand contacts it. I've seen this done with skate tape and it seemed to work fine.

I had the same issue. You can fix it two ways.

One way is to dissasemble the pistol and shorten the the "ledge" of the grip safety. The safety will still work, but dissengages with less depression. Make sure you know exactly how to dis/re-assemble the XD and only take a little material off at a time.

The second way is to build up the grip safety where your hand contacts it. I've seen this done with skate tape and it seemed to work fine.

..hmmm, maybe a drop or two of epoxy near the bottom, I can remove as much as I want and shape it as well. Yeah, me like it. :) Thanks!

I was thinking... since grip tape is legal for production, why not wrap some around the backstrap and that will hold your grip safety down all the time? I don't think this would violate any rules. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's an external modification. It would be no different than wrapping black tape around a Glock trigger and deactivating the trigger safety lever on a semi-permanent basis. You've altered the external profile of the firearm.

And I'm sorry about the grip safety issue, but we all have to make choices about what gun we're most compatible with. I and everyone else in the sport have had to go through several iterations of "like this, don't like that" to the tune of hundreds dollars until we found "just right."

And yeah yeah....I know...the Glock doesn't have a grip safety and I'm not freaking out about that. Do me a favor and don't do it anyway. Especially not with my product. I promised SA that I would not deactivate the grip safety, so I would consider it a personal favor if everyone just played along. ;)

JimmyM,

Do you have really big, small, thin hands? I have been shooting an XD-40 since April 2005 and have never had and issue with the grip safety. I am curious what your grip looks like that would cause the grip safety not to be disengaged. I can't seem to find a grip that will cause that to happen using my hands and my XD-40's. Do you have grip tape on the grip around the safety

None the less on my XD-40 Tactical that I have set up as my L-10 gun I have added grip tape to the grip and then I also cut a trip of grip tape and put a strip on the safety to help build it up but not deactivate it.

Magloc makes a thumb rest for the XD, to go with that they also make a memory groove for the XD's grip safety. You can buy the memory groove seperately. That might help you problem.

http://www.smartlock.com/products-r.htm

Hope that helps a little

mcb

I was thinking... since grip tape is legal for production, why not wrap some around the backstrap and that will hold your grip safety down all the time? I don't think this would violate any rules. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think deactivating a safety in Prod isn't legal.

mcb

My hands are big enough to palm a basketball. I don't know if thats big or average. I think they are on the thin side though. My strong hang grip is high. The thumb is above the "thumb indentation" on the frame. It hovers (pointing at the target) at the slide release. Half the thumb is above the frame/slide "line". As far as grip tape goes, no. I only apply it to the sides of the grip. Out of curiosity I applied a small strip of thin servo tape at the bottom of the safety. A major improvement. Looks like I have some work to do. I might even try a fingerless golf glove with a little "web" build up.

Grip safeties are why I shoot neither XDs nor 1911s. A completely silly notion for a safety device.

"I know, let's put a bump where people have hollows, and make them have to push the bump with the hollow!"

I love that sensation of hauling on the trigger, then wiggling the palm of your hand until the gun fires. Sexy!

Grip safeties are why I shoot neither XDs nor 1911s. A completely silly notion for a safety device.

"I know, let's put a bump where people have hollows, and make them have to push the bump with the hollow!"

I love that sensation of hauling on the trigger, then wiggling the palm of your hand until the gun fires. Sexy!

You ever carry cocked and locked?

I like the thought of the grip safety.

I was really happy to have a grip safety yesterday... I tripped over a lose pole, lost my footing and fell. I ended up dropping my gun, and I watched it spin around and point the muzzle right at my face. I have a 2 lb. trigger on my STI, so it really scared the crap out of me, even though my safeties are functional. Of course I got my first DQ, but I did not get hurt or hurt anyone else so all ended well.

Grip safeties are not a bad thing, and so long as you are holding the gun correctly, you should not have any problem with it. For your XD, do as MCB said and get the grip safety extender from here http://www.smartlock.com/products-r.htm.

I had one on my old XD and it worked well.

When I dropped it, no. I shoot keeping my right hand thumb on top of the thumb safety, so I really don't think I managed to engage the safety but it did happen really fast so I might just not remember.

However, when the RO picked it up, it was engaged. I guess a rock knocked the safety up and engaged it. Either way, it was pretty scary, at least for me.

It is WAY out of character, but I am trying to be nice...normally I would just tell them to throw their plastic in the garbage can and get a 1911, but I am becoming more mellow...LOL :lol::P:D

What time this evening did this happen?

I don't see how building up the safety with grip tape is illegal for production, if it were then it would also be illegal to use grip tape for production period, but it is not permanent so it is leagal as far a I can tell. I know people with glocks tha build up their grip with griptape to resemble a 1911 grip angle, and they get away with taht at all the clubs up here in WA.once again not permanent. Just my $.02 .

I don't see how building up the safety with grip tape is illegal for production, if it were then it would also be illegal to use grip tape for production period, but it is not permanent so it is leagal as far a I can tell. I know people with glocks tha build up their grip with griptape to resemble a 1911 grip angle, and they get away with taht at all the clubs up here in WA.once again not permanent. Just my $.02 .

I don't think it is illegal. However, if you deactivate your grip safety with grip tape (e.g. by pinning it down), then that's illegal.

Edited by chp5

I don't think it is illegal. However, if you deactivate your grip safety with grip tape (e.g. by pinning it down), then that's illegal.

A study of the Production rules does not specifically prohibit deactivation of the grip safety and the primary safety in an XD is in front of the trigger.

A study of the Production rules does not specifically prohibit deactivation of the grip safety and the primary safety in an XD is in front of the trigger.

I just shoot and don't study the equipment rules, so I can't say that you're wrong. However, allowing the deactivation of a safety on a Prod gun seems counter-intuitive to me.