Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w Ar-15

BritinUSA

I was looking through all the brochures and literature that was provided at the US Open/Production Nationals and found this in the S&W catalog:

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the first thing about AR-15's but this thing looks seriously cool ! B)

811001_large.jpg

It does look cool and it may even be a decent rifle, but where it seems that S&W is trying to be the price leader with the M&P pistol, the M&P rifle is priced pretty high for what it is.

For that price you can build a lower and put a JP upper on it.

http://jprifles.com/

The S&W is built up for the "tactical" god I hate that word, or gun store commando crowd.

Not the hot setup for 3 gun. It will work but just not optimized for our game.

If you want a tactical type setup there are better routes.

The S&W is built up for the "tactical" god I hate that word, or gun store commando crowd.

Not the hot setup for 3 gun. It will work but just not optimized for our game.

If you want a tactical type setup there are better routes.

+1

There are many, many ways to get a much, much better alternatives for 3gunnin' for a good bit less. If you spend that much, it better be a JP. That gun may look cool to the less experienced rifle shooter, but it is far from what that price ought to get ya' in a rifle.

Too bad they really couldn't produce something really nice for that price, or something good for a realistic price. It doesn't have to be a competition gun to be a good gun, it just has to have value for the buck and this is an overpriced gunshow crowd bling rifle.

While the M&P may not fit the bill as a serious 3 gun rifle setup, S&W was kind enough to spend their advertising dollars on our sport. We could return the favor by not cutting on their product.

Just my $.02...

Edited by tewlman

S&W was kind enough to spend their advertising dollars on our sport. We could return the favor by not cutting on their product.

Whether they spend advertising dollars on our sport or not, there is no reason we can't call a rose a rose ;-)

DPMS and Cav Arms not only support the sport, but they offer better rifles at a whole lot better price point. End of story!

S&W was kind enough to spend their advertising dollars on our sport. We could return the favor by not cutting on their product.

Whether they spend advertising dollars on our sport or not, there is no reason we can't call a rose a rose ;-)

DPMS and Cav Arms not only support the sport, but they offer better rifles at a whole lot better price point. End of story!

S&W is new to the 3Gun marketplace and is getting a little straight up market evaluation - IMO.

Being what they are, a smart outfit, they will take a look at what the market wants and adjust. I don't think that being honest about a product is cutting a product. Right now the other players have things well dialed in. S&W, with good input, will follow.

S&W doesn't make these, they contract for them. The package was designed to appeal to LE departments that are already buying lots of S&W pistols and like one-stop shopping. A lot of departments are still deciding whether they want rifles or not in their arsenals, but LEOs keep clammering for them, so this gives them an easy path to purchase with a name brand that their brass recognizes.

• 3 years later...

I bought a S&W MOE for both Hi power (100-300 yd) shooting and 3 gun and it looks fine, git it at a good price (1050) and it seems as good as or better than a Del ton, doublestar, or even a bushmaster. I was told that new S&W ARE made by S&W and it has features not seenon other guns I looked at. I cna;t use a scope in hi power, but am saving up for one and a removable mount for 3 gun.

As I see it, an AR is an AR. but difference is quality can't be faked. I have it, like it and it works. Nuff said.

While the MSRP is definitely higher than I think it should be for what it is, I purchased my M&P15T for a great price and have been nothing but thrilled with it's performance. It admittedly is not strictly a 3 gun rifle set up like a JP built rifle or even the new M&P15 VTAC rifle. It does allow me to go from a 3 gun set up to a combat rifle for training or instructional work. It seems like it is more a question of will the rifle be strictly for 3 gun, or will the time come that you take a carbine class or some other evet that would require a vertical foregrip, light, laser, bipod, or any other item with a specific purpose.

S&W doesn't make these, they contract for them. The package was designed to appeal to LE departments that are already buying lots of S&W pistols and like one-stop shopping. A lot of departments are still deciding whether they want rifles or not in their arsenals, but LEOs keep clammering for them, so this gives them an easy path to purchase with a name brand that their brass recognizes.

From what I know this is correct. I have been told that Stag makes these. I have sold several Stag's and own one myself. No issues with them and if you get a stag instead of a M&P you will save enough money to buy all the bells and whistles you want to go with it. You can get a Stag Model 2T for about $1000.

i'll chime in for the S&W VTAC. I picked mine up about a year and half ago and have been very satisfied with it. you may be able to do better if you buy a stripped upper and build it up yourself but for me, I was happy to just buy something out of the box that was guaranteed to work and had everything I needed - VLTOR stock for storage and (my opinion) better cheekweld, JP single stage trigger, JP/VTAC rifle-length rail. also included the light and mount for less than I could get them separately, but if you don't need a light then that may be irrelevant for you. Little while back velocity shooter (BE forum dealer) had them for $1299 - I can't even get them from my distributor for that price! alternately, maybe worth looking at firebird precision and seeing what they can do for you if you're only looking for certain features (e.g. round handgard, single stage match trigger, but otherwise ok with standard stock and grip, etc).

811012_01_lg.jpg

Wow...zombie thread from 2006 :) Prices have done a lot of changing (downward, thankfully) since then!

Fwiw, just to bring a couple of points up to date, Smith now produces all of these in house - the Stag arms build under contract was in the early days.

Good rifles, but they still have the carbine gas system -although I hear they are changing that for midlength on the soon to be released 2010 new Vtac variant.