Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealed Carry Technique

CyberSEAL

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for about a month and have found some very good information I plan to apply next time I'm at the range.

I live in Virginia and am awaiting a new concealed carry permit.  I was wondering if anyone could offer me their opinions on a good holster or other technique for carrying concealed weapons comfortably and practically.

For now I'll be carrying a Star Firestar M43 with two additional magazines.  Was considering using a shoulder holster with the other two magazines under my right arm, but this doesn't seem to me the best way to carry in summer clothing.

Any suggestions?  Thanks...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a 1911 in a Wilson Practical holster with a double mag pouch of my own design.

In hot weather I simply wear an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt as a "cover" garment over a polo type shirt.  I've yet to fall out due to the heat.  Not the neatest look, but a vest practically screams "I'm carrying a gun" plus I find them hotter and kind of stupid looking(for me).

As to the "shooter's vests," really photographer's vests, I don't believe they "scream 'gun!'" I think we gun nuts get so deeply into this we believe that everyone knows we use these baggy vests to conceal guns. The truth is that most people, even most cops, neither know nor care. And if they do suspect - well that's why God created concealed carry permits, right?

With a gun as small as your Firestar, concealment is not going to be difficult. You're right to stay away from the shoulder holster. It's not particularly fast to access, requires two hands to put the gun away, points the muzzle at your own arm during the draw, points the muzzle at anyone behind you as you're putting it away, and with the gun in a shoulder holster you can never take off your jacket all day long - assuming you're in public of course.

Just about every serious gun carrier uses a strong-side belt holster. The only questions are going to be the design of the holster, the material, and whether you should go inside the waistband or on the belt. IWB is definitely more concealable since most of the gun is tucked inside your pants. OTOH there's no doubt, for most people, on the belt is going to be both a faster draw and more comfortable. It depends on how you dress. Personally I dress myself around the gun so I have no trouble carrying a full-sized GM in an on the belt holster and no one's the wiser. This might not be the case for you. It just depends.

Probably like most of us here in this forum, you'll end up with a box (or two or three?)  of holsters before finally settling on a few ones that fit you.  If you have friends who also carry, try out some of theirs.  Strap it on and see if you can last the day without too much discomfort.  If not, well, start by looking at the clothes you usually wear on a daily basis and try quality holsters that are intended for that type of clothing.  Leather is beautiful and kydex is fast, your choice.

With my small frame, I usually keep my glock 19 in a J-hook IWB holster (acquired comfort ) which also allows me to tuck my shirt in.  Sometimes I can get away with an Uncle Mike's paddle (preferred carry if only they can get it to stick closer to my body).  I've tried a shoulder holster but I find it "strange" and a bit hot. YMMV. Be safe.

I have gone through a boat load of holsters, some of them pretty expensive like Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen. Fact is, I am pretty fond of the plastic holsters like BladeTech and even the cheap Uncle Mike's rig. I have a Safariland for a Colt Officers model that I will seel cheap if you want to give it a try.

Yeh I've tried carrying the way Steve described and it definitely conceals very well there, however I have to take it out and stash it somewhere when getting in the car.  I guess I am going to have to try a few different methods and see what works best for me.  Probably will go with the strong side holster under a button down shirt for awhile.

It may be true that mainly only competitive shooters know the "secret" purpose of vests.  

I alway operate on the theory that my enemy is better and more knowledgeable than myself, or at least looks at a gun rag here and there (vest ads galore).

While it may be legal to carry and it shouldn't matter if you wear a "I have a gun" vest, I want the fact I'm armed to be unknown if possible instead of being the prime source of bad guy attention in any kind of group encounter.  

I'll get off this subject now.

CyberSEAL,

Take a CCW class.  Look around, ask questions about the class curriculum.  Any CCW class worth its entry fee will spend considerable time on concealment methods, holster selection and clothing options.  Perhaps a bit too far away but maybe worth a short vacation, the Sig Arms Academy in New Hampshire provides excellent CCW classes taught by guys who’ve been there (ex-DEA).

In general (always a suspect statement) IWB provides for more clothing options and better concealability.  In addition to standard IWB holsters, there’s a category of IWB holsters (BladeTech UCH – ultimate concealment holster) that allow tucking the shirt over the gun. The problem with IWB is the burden of requiring larger waistband size pants to accommodate the gun/holster – 1 1/2” - 2”, with suit pants that gets into tailoring and gets expensive.. unfortunately I can’t wear FBI 511s everywhere I need to go - YMMV.  :-)  

Without sounding like a broken record, you really should take a few CCW classes.

Cheers,

Phred

I carry a Kahr P-9 in a High Noon Hideout IWB, (www.highnoonholsters.com), and it conceals fine under an untucked T-shirt at about 4 o'clock--behind my right hip.  I sometimes carry a spare mag in a Wilson single mag pouch on my left side.

Anyway, I don't have too much trouble sitting in a car with it, and the holster is removable without taking off my belt if I wanna stash the gun under the seat on a longer road trip.

On the waist (belt/paddle/snap-on IWB) is probably the safest, most comfortable, most accessible way to carry.

Probably will go with the strong side holster under a button down shirt for awhile

My CCW rig is a USP 45 Compact, riding in a ss horsehide Kramer vertical scabbard/FBI tilt  on a Kramer 1-1/4" belt, under an open button down longsleeve cotton shirt.  Short sleeve would work also, I just prefer long sleeves. With a Tshirt underneath I never get a second look. Alternate is a Don Hume paddle, with or without a belt depending on what I'm wearing. Paddles are ok but not as secure as a belt rig, they are nice when you need to take the gun on and off for whatever reason.

Finally I have a Galco "fanny pack" holster, not a bad way to go if you need to carry extra stuff like a phone, pepperspray and spare mags. Not as quick to access as a belt holster though, and vulnerable to theft. Don't get a black one, speaking of screaming "GUN".

If you get time, check out Piedmont NRA instructors for a good intro to CCW, the NRA Personal Protection course is a good place to start.

Piedmont NRA

****Warning, slightly off-topic shameless plugs to follow****

If your in Prince Willam County, Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge(now under the ownership of my friend and coach Phil Strader) is an excelent place to go holster shopping. The staff there can likely get you outfitted with just about anything you'll need. Phil has done as much as anybody for USPSA shooting in the Northern Virginia area.  

Second, I don't know if you've considered it, but USPSA is an excelent manner in which to familiarize yourself with your new set-up. I'd like to invite you to the next North Mountain Practical Shooter's match, on the fourth Sunday of this month. For more info go to http://members.citynet.net/northmountaindragon/ . You can contact us by email with any questions. ***End shameless plugs***

With the summer going he way it's bee going in this area lately I'd have to say IWB is the way to go right now. OWB limits covering garment options. However, there is a school of thought that recomends using several different holsters to suit each individual situation.

If you use IWB yu need to do so from the start, cause yu need an extra 1.5 to 2" in your pants.  Like the saying goes, "beware of the man with one gun, he may know how to use it."  

Well if you carry concealed, it is best to carry the same thing in the same place in the same way each time.  Beware of the man who carries like this, he may be able to draw without thinking, what am I carrying today , how am I carrying it, and where is it.

Beware of the man who carries like this, he may be able to draw without thinking, what am I carrying today , how am I carrying it, and where is it.

Of the CCW holders I know, only one carries EVERYWHERE - he'll answer the door packing heat, and take it with him to the bathroom IN HIS HOUSE. His choice is IWB. Definitely easier to conceal, but for me very uncomfortable.

After 4 years of permitted CCW, I don't carry as often as I should - the first rule in a gunfight is, have a gun, but once the novelty wears off it takes discipline.

I guess I am like your friend.  Been carrying since '95, and yes, I answer the door with it in hand, cut the grass with it on my hip, even go to church with it under my suit.

It is an old cliche but a good one, ..."better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."  

And, no, I have never drawn my pistol on anyone, yet, but I can if I need to...

Hey Kyle Shooter's Paradise is where I get practically all of my practice in, although I haven't been in awhile.  I called their the other day and the fella said they were under new management and were doing some redecorating or something.  Can't wait to get in there and see any changes they've made.

xSRDx I guess I too am kind of like your friend.  I now carry either my Firestar 9mm or my Glock 27 _everywhere_ I go.  However my entire family is being stalked by a convicted felon, heroin addicted suicidal nutjob.

However my entire family is being stalked by a convicted felon, heroin addicted suicidal nutjob.

Sheesh, that would do it for me. I'd probably be duct taping guns to my body.

This is an interesting subject, and I'm not sure if anybody has really looked at how OFTEN CCW carriers actually tote their blasters. For me, I can't carry at work, and I've chosen to frequent - on occasion -localities where even an unloaded gun in the trunk will win you a free trip to the graybar hotel and a visit with the judge, unless you're a criminal in which case you're free to go.

I view the CCW option as another level of available force that I exercise when it's legal and the conditions warrant - of course, sh*t always happens when you least expect it.  

My buddy, if he can't go armed, he won't go.

That's not an option for everybody, unfortunately.

I don't know if you could do an apples to apples comparison of how often folks carry and where, since some of the state statues vary regarding where you can tote it.  I would be interesting to see.

I will give you a true story to get you in the mood to carry everywhere.  3 yrs ago, I gave the guy across the street the CHL class.  He is a patent attorney for one of the biggest firms in the US.  Mid July at midnight his wife gets ill and has to go to the hospital.  He calls his brother and sister in law to watch his kids and takes his wife.  he checks her int the hospital for tests and heads home.  Gets home at 4AM and as he starts to drive into the driveway, he sees a guy standing beside his brothers car.  He makes a mental note to ask the guy what he wants and drives back to the garage and stops to use the opener.  Bad guy steps out of the shadows and puts him face down on the dirveway, robs him and tells him to get into the car, we are going for a little drive.

Mr friend trys to drive out of the driveway and as he is doing so the bad guy shoots at him 3 times.  One in the hood, one in the door and one in the window.  Hits my buddy in the arm.  I hear the shots and run out to see the B Guys driving off and my friend bleeding in theyard.

I was the first one on the scene and he told me he should have had his pistol.  Left it in the house, but he did remember not to leave the primary scene with them. He is alive.  He carries now...all the time, just like me.