Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Guns Are Winning Single Stack Matches

thunderstick

I did some digging but didn't find anything easily so I was wondering if you could help me out. I am an L10 shoot looking to shoot Single Stack Only matches next year. A couple of questions:

1) What is winning major single stack only matches -- 8 round major or 10 round minor

2) In single stack only matches can the mag pouches go in front

thanks in advance

Justin

Mag pouches can only be located at the center line.

As far as what is winning, I think the jury is still out. Single Stack major is what is being shot more, but I don't think there has been enough comparsion to figure this out yet.

Gary Stevens has been shooting SS minor and doing pretty good. I took 3rd overall and 1st B at A5 shooting major.

I think it comes down to whether or nor a match has stages set up with 8 round shooting arrays or 9+ shooting arrays.

If you are shooting in L10 and are fairly quick but get mostly A/C or A/D hits, then major would be better. When shooting minor you really have to be just as fast, but keep the 2 A's to not drop the points.

If you can eliminate 4-6 reloads throughout the match shooting minor and keep mostly A hits (90+%) then there is an advantage. But if you are not saving time with reloads and shoot the stages at about the same time then there is not a real advantage.

I would suggest trying out both if that is possible for you and making your own decision. I have seen a handful of shooters win many large local matches shooting Limited with a stock G17 going minor, and a handful using big money STI guns. Always remember that it's not the arrows, but the aim that win matches. If you have shot Production with 9mm and have earned comparable hit factors against the L10 crowd, than go with minor. I believe that the extra round is of little advantage.

One other question, can you shoot minor with a 45?

Sure you can shoot minor with a 45. People do it all the time. Just hang out around the chrono at a major match and you will meet some. :(

In Provisional Single Stack division you are still limited to 8 rds in the mag. Remember,

the gun has to fit in the box with a mag in place.

Rules here---- http://www.uspsa.org/ Click on "RULES" at the top, scroll down to

the Provisional Single Stack rules.

One other question, can you shoot minor with a 45?

Sure you can. Just load to minor. But....why would you? :huh:

Well....

If you could load 10 in a mag, it would give you a larger hole and might get you an extra "A" occassionaly :)

The main reason I was asking is all I have right now is 45 guns and ammo. Don't get me wrong, I was looking excuse to buy another gun.

You don't "need" another gun, Thunder...

Heh-heh, this from the guy who holds the record for the most "I'll take it!" replies on the BE classifieds..... ;)

Hehe...M wife saw me posting to PaulW's post on the SS Trojan and locked me in the closet then called all my friends and family for an "intervention group meeting." :(:P:D

I would have been the first reply too..... ;)

If you look at the top 16 at the USPSA Single Stack Nationals, only two people (Doug Koenig and Taran Butler) shot minor (Taran unintentionally!). The next one down appears to be Tony Holmes at 38th. The extra rounds in a 9/.38 Super usually don't compensate for the difference in power factor. Believe me, if shooting a 9 was advantageous, you'd see TGO out there with a 9.

Unless you have real issues with recoil, there is really no reason to shoot minor, unless you really want to.

Shooting minor in a .45 is an affront to God, John Browning, and the late great Jeff Cooper.

Single stacks of course.

haha a chrome one for between labor day and easter hehehehe the man has too much stuff!

for "single stack only" matches major rules. the only place minor "can" hae an advantage is matches made for limited open, production guns that have more shots than 8 in multiple arrays.

I don't think you can shoot 10 45's in minor and get it in the box though.

As to what's winning, it's who's driving.

I shoot a .40 Springer, loaded to major because it's a caliber I already load for.

I talked to TGO about shooting minor in SS a while back and he said it depended on the courses; he could use it to an advantage if it were all close, open targets, but as you add distance, limited exposure targets and partials, major wins out.

I would have hated to shoot minor at the Nats, I don't think we shot 20% of our rounds at open, static targets.

With decent balanced course design, major is the way to go. I ONLY load .40 right now, and there ain't too many Springers out there in .40 so I am happy (for now) with my gear.

I just put an SV magwell on my stainless Delta Elite that is wearing a Schuemann .40 barrel. I can actually make reloads with a single stack now! I don't have to switch the 1050 back to WLPs either. A buddy has a Kimber .40 SS that shoots pretty sweet and we both use Chip's 9 round 10mm mags loaded down a round....