Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Moly Bullets Do You Use?

steel1212

I'm in the process of testing some Master blasters bullets in both 9mm and 40 and was wondering if anybody thinks that the precisions are any better? I use 147 9mm and 180 40s which precision doesn't carry, or at least I didn't see them on their site.

I've tested the Precision 185gr against the MB 180 and noticed very little difference (if any) between the two. Both had zero leading, both produced the same amount of smoke (tested with Titegroup powder...the Precision may have smoked a little more than MB's) and both were very accurate.

I get mine (180 .40) from a local gunsmith who manufacturers his own bullets. If you live in the MD, VA, PA or NJ area, send me an e-mail and I will forward you his e-mail address. He's a good guy and the prices are right

I've been using Precision 185's for about 5 years now and am absolutely, 100% pleased with them. I don't have the smoke concern that others seem to have and have never had the minimal amout of smoke that is produced hinder me in any way.

Now that he's coming out with 220 grn .40's I'll be ordering some to try.

I get mine (180 .40) from a local gunsmith who manufacturers his own bullets. If you live in the MD, VA, PA or NJ area, send me an e-mail and I will forward you his e-mail address. He's a good guy and the prices are right

Nope I'm in the bluegrass...Kentucky.

I've used the 180/185 .40s from both in the last few years.

MBs are regular cast lead with the lube grooves, flat base, truncated cone look, etc, coated in moly.

Precisons are swagged <sp?> lead (cut from a spool of lead wire and press formed into shape), and have a more rounded nose, concave case, and no "lube grooves", coated in moly.

I think that Precison's quality control is slightly better, based on my experience.

I also prefer Precisons due to the bullet shape.

Both are decent bullets, at a decent price.

Ive had excellent results with Precision, Bear creek and master blaster bullets.

when i can get them w/o ordering them, ill shoot precisions(IE. pick up at matches)

If i have to order, ill shoot bear creek.

+1 on Bear Creek. I use them in my 45, 44 and 357.

Back on mute. :ph34r:

I just ordered some of the Precision 147's for 9mm and I must say they smoked alot. I was loading them over 3.2 gr. of Titegroup and doing some bill drills I was unable to see my sights after the 2nd shot... It was my first experience with anything other than jacketed bullets. Just my first impression.

I just ordered some of the Precision 147's for 9mm and I must say they smoked alot. I was loading them over 3.2 gr. of Titegroup and doing some bill drills I was unable to see my sights after the 2nd shot... It was my first experience with anything other than jacketed bullets. Just my first impression.

I shot about 30 master blasters last weekend between matches, matches where the same day and didn't want to take the chance of leading, and they didn't smoke that bad with 3.1 to 3.3 titegroup. Per the owner of masterblasters I'm going to knock it down to 3.0 and he said I probably would be fine to make minor PF with 2.8.

I loaded some of the Precision 147s and MB 150s up and tried them, and both smoked (using American Select). After I chronoed them I switched to cast bullets, and they smoked a BUNCH more. The coated bullets are an intermediate step in smokiness. It's apparently the coating burning off. I'm going to try slower powders and see if that reduces the smokiness.

I tried both this year in my XD 5" shooting minor pf.

The master blasters where used on a very hot day and 80% of them tumbled.

Also found a large amount of Moly? Build up

I then tried 1000 of the precisions no build up no tumbling.

Precsion got my bussiness.I also really like the fact of no lube ring.180-185 feel the same to me.

I use tite group and Haven't noticed any smoke

In my experience, the amount of smoke depends greatly upon weather conditions. If it's very humid and the sun's low in the sky, I sometimes have problems and will normally use some of my Montana Gold loads under those conditions if I have any stand & shoots.

Oh man, go with the Precisions. His consistancy can't be matched with cast bullets. Like Chuck says, the new 147gr 9mm are not listed on the web site but are availible. Order the 125gr 9mm and make a note in the order comments that you really want the 147's instead. Dave will take care of you.

I got 1500 of the first ones out a couple of weeks ago and am getting excellent results over 3.3grs of Universal out of a G17 at 129PF. A randum sample out of the box had 2 bullets each of 147.2, 147.3 and 147.4. I'v gotten samples from Master Blaster and although they are excellent for cast/moly bullets there is no way the casting process can compete when it comes to weight consistancy.

I shoot his 40's as well. 200gr for IPSC major out of a S&W 610, 185 or 200gr for the STI and am currently using 185 in the 610 for ICORE (sweet load). Tonight I loaded up some chrono samples of his 155 and 170 40's to see if they are a better load for ICORE. I've been bugging him about the promise of 220gr 40's for a year now because I think that is the way to go out of a revolver for major.

Good luck, hope this helps. B)